“Will never be back”

Ranked #97 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Will never be back”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Horrible place that should be removed from hotel provider websites. Whole place smells of cannibas. Rooms had no windows and faulty air con so no sleep. Breakfast was shockingly poor and cold. Staff were surly and unhelpful. One even promised to send engineer to fix air con after first night but of course didnt. Waiter spilt a drink over my friends expensive never before worn dress. He said sorry and then walked away. The location surely is the only thing saving this place from being closed down. Wouldnt put a dog in it and im no animal lover.Avoid, avoid, avoid. Ruined a great weekend with friends

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank Cantonasbigbrother

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Betws Garmon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I always try to give honest reveiws that will help other travellers, below are my personal opinions based on what I found and saw, I stayed there 2/3/13 to 3/3/13 overnight.

What can you say about this hotel? Location, excellent. Ideal for a short stay in central Manchester, if your not fussy were you stay, but that’s as good as it gets.

I must have chosen the wrong day to arrive. It appeared that half of japan’s teenagers were trying to book in. First impressions, tired in need of complete refurbishment. Only one lift working, one of the cleaners told me it had been out of order for months. 5th Floor, water leaking through a light fitting in the public area (adjacent to room 506) Duty Manager was aware but said little he could do over a weekend. These corridors looked like the house keepers hadn’t hovered for weeks, old posters and rubbish stuffed down the back of the locked back fire doors.
Fire/Smoke detectors missing on corridors, yet again adjacent to room 506 area. Loud noisy lift, you could hear it coming 5 minutes before it arrived.

My Room, what can you say, a windowless box with a roof window.. I like Britannia as they still offer smoking rooms, but to offer a windowless room as a smoking room is madness. First impressions of room, tired in need of refurbishment. Carpet dirty, broken bulb, (actually smashed in bed side light fitting) TV hadn’t seen a duster in weeks.
Bathroom, well where do I start with this. Sink/basin - water took an age to drain away, NO plug (the plug was in pieces on the side), Toilet woe – be –tide anyone who had a week bladder. It didn’t flush correctly, you need to use it first, flush, then use the paper (you get the drift) the bath/shower, well the shower piddled out so slow you would fall asleep using it . Bath, was old and marked, soap tray filthy, bath panel hanging off, 2 lights missing, one had old bulb in, other empty just fitting. Only one small roll of loo paper.

Bathroom tired and grubby. Couldn’t fault the bed linen, it was clean and smelt fresh. Room, heating air con system noisy, intermittent smelt of burning dust.
I telephoned reception about a couple of items, told they would get housekeeping to sort it, no one ever appeared.

Spoke to duty Manager Andrew about water coming out of light fitting, and filthy corridors, his response “You just can get the staff” and laughed in a none bothered manor, felt he had heard this thousands of times before and really didn’t give a dam.

Would I stay there again, NO NOT ON YOUR LIFE, The other Manchester Britannia’s are much better, but as a hotel group Britannia has suffered through lack of investment, and its time they sorted there act out. There are plenty of other hotels of similar price in Manchester that are better and have the right idea. This hotel appeared to have a policy of ignore the guest and hope for the best.

Glad I was only there for the one night, ok its very well placed and could be a good hotel, with money spent on it, and it appeared very busy. Didn’t sample the bar or restaurant so cant comment on there standards but over all I wouldn’t score this hotel more than a 2 and that would be for location.

Having read other reviews I would say its time the senior management of Britannia Hotels had a good look at there stock and practices. No wonder the company went bankrupt a few years ago.

Shame as they have some of the best located hotels in the country, in fabulous buildings but they are shabby, and not chic.

Room Tip: Look carefully, ignore the hotel provided pictures, and read the reviews.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Lancs1963

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Fakenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

the worst hotel ,no english staff dirty rooms just a bad 2 nights stay ,moved rooms as first one had no window glass in , second room was ok but still poor in decor and home comforts ,this hotel is very tired and is long over do a make over of its rooms , also found the hallways to the rooms ned a good hover as where dusty and strewn with litter ,

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Christopher B
manchester
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have stayed in. Evening meal was terrible. It was cold and tasteless. The staff had the nerve to ask me if everything was ok. I felt like saying to her why don't you taste the food yourself and see what rubbish you are putting out. The waiter kept taking our plate's too quickly. Rooms are disgusting. Very outdated. The only good thing about this hotel is its location. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ManchesterBubbly
Worcester
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We stayed one night on a business trip. After turning down the first three rooms we were offered, due to the appalling standards (curtains hanging off, peeling wallpaper, broken heater, dust, marked walls, bathroom panels coming off, creepy crawlies in bathroom...) we finally accepted the fourth room, only because we were too exhausted to carry on to room number five! Decorators were touching up paintwork in communal areas (slapping paint over shabby walls with no preparation). The restaurant manager made an effort to serve us well at dinner- maybe he'd been warned about us! We were the only diners. We will never stay at this hotel again, even if it means loss of earnings for us!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Shiraz50
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

my partner and myself stopped for 2 nights and read reviews on trip advisor just and to say the least i was worried.getting to the entrance my thoughts were the same however if was fine think people have been over critical lets face it its not a 5* hotel . anyway room was functional but just what we hoped it would be but and it was clean which is the main thing. we only paid £55 per night for bed, breakfast and evening meal with wine per night food was sufficient and we would return to this hotel again

Room Tip: i would def pay the bit extra for a room with a window nxt time
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
torquay
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I almost cancelled my stay at sachas hotel after reading the reviews on here,But I am so glad that I did'nt.Yes I will agree with some others comments that the windows needed a good clean and in places the decor did look abit tired but thats it.The staff were very helpful and friendly.Our room which was a non smoking and dog friendly room was very clean and well presented, the bed was very comfortable and there was plenty of room for the dogs to have a play.The breakfast was well stocked each day and there was alot of variety to chose from.We did eat in the restaurant one evening but decided that the food was not to our taste.The spindles area looked very nice but we didnt get time to use it.I will return to Sachas hotel when I next visit Manchester again as my husband and myself were very please with our accommodation

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple