“Awful place”

Britannia Sachas Hotel
Ranked #97 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
“Awful place”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Awful place, room had broken tv, plug in bathroom broken, no teaspoon in room with tea facilities, room cold, toast machine on breakfast room went up in smoke, the list could go on and at £100 per night expected better, was so awful could not wait to leave after one night and left feeling grubby as hotel feels dirty and uncared for, also 20 minute queue to check in due to lack staff. The staff were helpful the only good part about this stay.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Cloggies12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (511)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My partener and I stayed at the hotel las weekend and had the worst night/morning ever! Not to mention the numerous broken room fixtures, at approximately 9.45am we were awoken by the sound of running water within the room. We turned on the lights to be confronted with what can only be described as a waterfall coming from the hallway light (please see attached photograph). The volume of water pouring from the light increased and saturated the hallway floor and entered the hallway wardrobe. We immediately attempted to call reception which was to no avail and placed bins underneath the leak to prevent it penetrating through to the room below. On our second attempt at contacting reception we spoke to a member of staff who advised us that someone would be sent straight up to the room. Roughly fifteen minutes later, a maintenance man knocked on the door, looked at the streaming water and explained he would have to go to check the room above. We were left to deal with the overflowing bins and constant flow of water ourselves whilst he did this. Meanwhile the water began to come through the roof of the bathroom and soak the counter tops and create a pool on the bathroom floor. At this point we began to gather all our belongings as there was no sign of the situation improving. On removing our suitcase and hanging clothes from the wardrobe we realised that the hallway water had managed to soak both my dress and my partner’s suit. The bathroom roof leak was not isolated to one location and so had begun to fill my cosmetics bag, ruining my make up and make up brushes. Two maintenance men then showed up to explain what had happened upstairs to cause the flood, when asked what we should do with regards to freshening up and getting ready and our now wet clothes, they advised us to go to reception. My partner left with little alternative went down to reception to speak to the receptionist, the receptionist unable to help, got the assistant manager who again was unable to resolve the matter then went to get the manager. Finally, the manager advised that he wanted to see the room as he had no knowledge of the incident. Following his inspection of the situation we were advised that we would be provided with compensation for the damage to our personal belongings and would be contacted by the afternoon manager to arrange this as he was not authorised to do this. I provided my personal contact details and was assured that would receive a call after 12pm.

Regardless of the fact we were awoken by water flowing into our room, our belongings being saturated by unclean water and my ruined cosmetics, at no point where we offered an alternative room to get ready in. We were expected to make ourselves presentable for our afternoon business meeting with wet clothes, ruined cosmetics and an un-useable bathroom. There was no apparent urgency to resolve the situation and no attempt to keep us updated with the hotels intended actions. After speaking directly with the hotel manager on duty at the time, him personally inspecting the damage and conditions of our room and assuring us that we would receive a call later that afternoon, I am disgusted to inform you that I am sill waiting for the call.
I have never had such a disrupted stay in a hotel and one that I can categorically say affected our afternoon meeting from both a stress and personal appearance perspective. I am disgusted with the disregard of concern for our belongings and personal welfare and insulted by the sheer lack of customer service skills by all staff encountered. Rest assured that neither my partner and I, nor any family or friends will be visiting the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AimeeLouise1505

Travelers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I booked this hotel 4 months in advance for my husband's birthday. I had tickets for Coldplay at the Etiad Stadium and we were looking forward to the whole weekend.
The grand entrance added to our confidence - but our confidence quickly ran out when we saw the queues in reception and the heated discussions going on between the staff and the guests. It took us ages to get to the front of the queue. While trying to book in the receptionist looked a bit puzzled. She disappeared out the back and returned with 'the manager'. He told us we could not have the room because there had been a leak in the corner so they had moved us to a sister hotel at MANCHESTER AIRPORT. We said this was not feasible as we were going to a gig in 2 hours within a 15 minute walk from this chosen hotel. He insisted in was within his right to move us to the other hotel over 20 miles away - however he was not prepared to get someone to drive us to and from the gig. We then suggested he find us another room in the hotel. For the first 30 minutes he refused saying we would only complain as they were not up to the standard of the one we had paid for. Eventually another member of staff talked some sense into him and we got a downgraded room but we were told we were not allowed to apply for a refund in costs. We were given a free meal for our trouble. The room was - errr - well many of the previous guests had left their remarks on the walls if that is anything to go by. Anyway the gig was BRILLIANT!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pilmac
Northampton
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I booked this hotel for 2 nights last week but on arrival at the hotel I was told by many other angry patrons, that there weren't any rooms available. I checked that this applied to all bookings and was told by a not very polite lady that there were no rooms available! I asked them to refund my payment straight away and was told that as I wasn't going to be staying, my card wouldn't be charged......just found out that it was! Reading this it all sounds so simple but I can assure you it took ages! There were people who had been waiting to speak to the manager for 2-3hours but he was on the phone constantly. At one point all staff vanished into the office and didn't even come out when called! A gentleman walked past us and said 'don't waste your time, this hotel is a dump, you won't get anywhere!'
The experience & service that we(and many other people) had was inexcusable with no manners or apologies! I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: Don't book here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tracey G
Reviewed October 29, 2012

You would be insane to book this hotel. Service awful, check-in took about 15mins with one person on the front desk at 6pm, the state of the hotel was great for the 1980's, breakfast was like eating leather, the only positive was leaving the hotel in the morning. Anyone who stay in this hotel again has never stayed in the luxury of a travelodge cleary (in comparison).

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank DNB29
New Quay, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Me and my family stayed here on the weekend and after reading some of the reviews we were a bit worried about what we had let ourselves in for. Overall the stay turned out to be quite good but I think it was only because I rang the hotel beforehand and made sure I was in one of the better rooms. Even though I had paid for two economy rooms we were given two interconnecting suites which both had double beds and a lounge area. The hotel is definately in need of a modernisation as everything around the place looks out of date. I have tried to list the good and bad points :

Good Points : Big rooms, decent breakfast, good location.
Bad Points : No parking with the hotel, queues at reception, long wait in restaurant, charge to use the gym and pool.

One thing that did worry me was that whenever we were in reception there were always guests there complaining about there rooms so as mine were fine I can only assume that I must have been lucky. If I was staying in this area again I would probably pay a little bit more to stay in a hotel that was more modern and definately with parking.

Room Tip: Ring the hotel and mention the reviews on tripadvisor and ask that they allocate your room straight...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family