“Great Hotel in Good Location - Shopped & Dined”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We chose the Macdonald Townhouse to spend a weekend (one night) shopping in Manchester, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The standard double room was small but perfectly formed, with a well fitted out bathroom. Breakfast was a highlight, with a good selection and helpful staff; we hit breakfast at a very busy time but this was no problem.

The location is great; the Arndale shopping center is just a 10min walk away, the northern quarter (where we went for dinner) the same.

The only downside was the noise throughout the night, from outside. But this is probably to be expected for a Saturday night in a town center.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ross W
MacdonaldTownhouse, General Manager at Townhouse Hotel Manchester, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Dear Ross W,

Thank you very much for your praise and feedback.

As you were able to see, I am fortunate to work with a great team who are here to deliver to our guests and take pride in doing so. It is nice to hear that guests do appreciate our award winning breakfast which is clearly a leader in quality and choice.

We are in a great location which does give us the additional challenge of managing external factors and we work closely with our neighbours and the appropriate authorities to keep our guests as comfortable as possible.

Please come back and visit with us soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

Great location, small walk from Piccadilly Station. A few bars on the way.

Reception staff good. Room great, nice bathroom and finishing touches. Robes coffee machine etc.

Allround though quite expensive for a what you get. Didn't stay for breakfast, walked 50 meters up the road for a much cheaper option.

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear McHugh1962,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

I am pleased to hear that you found the location convenient, the team was noted and that the features in our rooms were to your liking. As you would expect, high quality robes and Nespresso machines do come at a cost. Our guest feedback has been excellent that we offer great value for money in providing these amenities at a competitive price in what is very much a consumer driven market.

It is a shame that you chose to not join us for breakfast. While you may have been in search of something cheaper to suit a different budget, our award winning offering is all about quality with free range eggs, outdoor reared pork sausages and a traditional smoked salmon supplier that serves the Queen.

Perhaps you may be back to Manchester soon and find a great value in a bed and breakfast offer and get to enjoy the full deal. I am confident that our guests get what they pay for and then some. You may too.

Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a weekend stay at the macdonald townhouse. The hotel is in an excellent location and the lobby and bar/restaurant area is very stylish and modern. The room we had was nice and modern but the bathroom could have been updated. The shower was inside the bath which is not ideal and when using the shower in the morning it turned itself off mid shower! At breakfast I also heard other residents complaining about this so perhaps the water system can't cope with lots of showers all at once-not ideal for a hotel!

We had breakfast at 9;30am and were warned this was a busy time (not by staff but from a notice in the lift). We queued up to be seated and were given a table with stools as all the other tables were full. The buffet breakfast was good quality but staff were slow to fill it up and basics like orange juice and crossaints were often missing. We had to wait around 20min for anyone to ask us if we would like hot food. Then waited another 30min for a bacon sandwich. A very busy breakfast which needed lots more staff.

Overall this hotel was a pleasant stay but needs lots of tweaks to make it perfect. For the price I would go elsewhere next time.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear walsall115,

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry if we did not meet your expectations.

At the time of your visit there was an unusual and unexpected issue with water pressure which, once was brought to our attention, we were able to resolve. I apologise if it caused any inconvenience for you.

We are a boutique property and as such work with a small tight knit team who does generally deliver exceptional service for which they receive much praise. As you correctly note, the team does anticipate that certain times may be busier than others. In the interest of best serving our guests and working in balance, we do attempt to inform or educate as best as we can and we post clear notices in the lifts. It can be frustrating when there are hours in an empty restaurant when there is a full team ready, willing and able with no one to serve. You then get caught in the rush that any hotel does their best to avoid.

Perhaps you may be back in Manchester and I ask that you contact me directly. I offer you my assurance that we will be certain to look after you and make you a fan like so many of our returning guests.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed here for a night on business & will definitely be back if I'm in the city again. Large room, the KingSize bed was comfy & I was pleasantly surprised to have the option of both a standalone shower as well as a decent sized bath. Not too noisy either, considering it's in the middle of town & on a corner of main road.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear BecsinLondon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind feedback.

We are most grateful for your support and we hope that will have the opportunity to serve you once again soon. Your decision to return is a great compliment.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Finally, after many years of complaining for a stay over hotel for business, a hotel that fulfils, almost all my needs. Manchester my have been through hard times in the past but with that now behind and now the new "London", the beautiful old buildings have been preserved and the hotel trade, amongst others, now enjoy these wonderful old facades. Perfect location, reasonable rates, free wi fi throughout, excellent rooms and friendly staff! My only "complaint", no resident gym (however, you are free to use the facilities as the larger parent Macdonald, a few minutes up the road. If the in-house pub/restaurant with brilliant staff isn't what you need, you are a short walk away from genuine "Chinatown" with excellent, original Chinese cuisine, but you city centre, so that's not your only choice. My search is over!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the main road can be slightly noisy, so if you a light sleeper, simply ask for a r...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Dear soulmant,

Thank you for your lovely comments and praise.

It is delightful to see that our guests can stay with us and appreciate all that we offer and I am pleased to know that we delivered for you. We are very fortunate to work in this wonderfully preserved listed building with such a fantastic and committed team, all of whom understand the joy of service and the privilege of being in such a great property.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Macdonald Townhouse soon.

Warm regards

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Reception:
Arrived a little earlier than normal and was asked to take a seat in the restaurant where I ended up sitting for nearly 2 hours as others had got checked in -apparently they forgot about me!

Rooms:
Fairly modern bathroom and a spacious room over looking the busy road below - but the beds where awful! The bed was marooned in the middle of the room on wheels so when I moved the bed moved and a gap would open between the bed and the headboard!

Breakfast:
This was included in my rate but after 10 minutes standing there at the wait to be seated sign I gave up!! Most people who where seated looked agitated and I was in a hurry to get going so abandoned and checked out!

Overall - a 1 star service which I do not not want to re live.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms at the front!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank DubDougTravel

Dear Dougiedub,

I apologies if you did not enjoy your visit. I was very concerned as awful is not what we generally hear.

Fortunately, on sight of your posting, I was able to ascertain who you were and review with the team. With the benefit of the facts I can certainly add some clarity to your comments and opinion.

It is a shame that when you arrived early to the hotel, we were unable to get you settled into your specific reserved room type. This is something which we always do our best to provide. However on this case, you are correct in that we could not immediately accommodate you. In your exchange with the receptionist you indicated that you would settle comfortably into our lounge area. From review of our CCTV, I can see that you enjoyed lunch and conducted some business. At one point you must have looked over your shoulder to see the one guest who checked in prior to you. I was able to determine that he had reserved a different room type which we did have available at the time. Coincidentally, he had arrived to the hotel earlier than you. As luck would have it, he was pleased. You were not. I am sorry.

I was surprised to hear anyone suggest that our beds would be awful. We reviewed the bed and saw no obvious issue. Therefore I can only presume that the wheel lock may not have been secure as we saw nothing to repair or replace. I am sorry that you did not enjoy a night of sleep in our beds for which we generally receive much praise.

In reference to breakfast, even with checking the time and speed on the CCTV I was unable to see you spend ten minutes as you rolled in and out of the restaurant with your luggage in tow. It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy our signature award winning breakfast.

Had you highlighted any concerns while with us, it would have been our pleasure to assist you. I can only thank you for your feedback and suggest that should you be returning to the area, that you call upon me directly and we will be sure to look after you.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I chose to stay at the Macdonald Townhouse as a Valentines stay back in February. I picked the hotel Purely based off public reviews and pictures so went in quite open minded as I had no personal validation. I have to admit I remember being incredibly impressed once inside with how classy the place looked. The outside certainly doesn’t prepare you for what’s inside.

Check in was simple and the room was on the 1st floor. It was a VERY nice room and looked very upmarket which surprised me not for the hotel but mainly on the price paid. I have stayed in many hotels for work and personal convenience but none that offered this type of quality for such a good price. Needless to say I was suitably impressed!

The bathrooms were also done to a very nice standard and visually looked pleasing. I will admit the shower is a little on the small side… especially for more than one person if you catch my drift...

My only gripe was that for some unknown reason I was ignored by the night barman for 20 minutes- even when everyone had been served (including those who joined the bar after myself) I had to stop him leaving the bar so I could ask for a glass of ice. But on the whole… that in no way would impact on my decision to return!

I loved my stay here, found it good value for money and certainly would recommend others to try it out!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David S

Dear David S,

Thank you for your kind and supportive words. Seemingly, you had a very nice and memorable visit to us.

I do apologise for any unintentional oversight at the bar, however on awareness of your review, the matter was immediately addressed. Please accept his apologies.

Do let us know when you are returning as we would love to look after you soon.