“we will stay here again”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #43 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Yorkshire Lass
“we will stay here again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Very smart place in ideal, central location for exploring Manchester.
Menu for dinner is very short but VERY good. The food on both nights was excellent. The breakfasts are also excellent. As is the service.
The room was the right size for us and had a bath AND a walk in shower.
The staff are friendly and helpful - in an appropriate manner.
When we return to Manchester [which we will do next year] we will stay here again. It has a really nice vibe.

Room Tip: no comment Our room on 2nd floor was excellent.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Glasgow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Great hotel in the middle of Manchester. Can't fault the location at all.

Yes, it can be a bit noisy outside but you're in the middle of Manchester on a busy road, so what do you expect? I stayed in room 105 (on the first floor) and the noise is really not that bad. The windows are double glazed which reduces outside noise by quite a bit.

The bed is excellent and I had a great sleep. Bathroom was okay - a few little marks on the floor but that's always going to happen to black tiles. There wasn't much space for a bath and I think a shower unit would have been more space efficient.

I didn't deal with the staff much as I was out and about most of the time, but they were pleasant and efficient on check in and check out. I'd stay here again as it's a lovely hotel in a great location.

Norfolk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

We had an executive double and the room was very nice. Actually happy that it was fairy cool. Only criticism is traffic noise. Sounded like rush hour at 3 in the morning. They do have secondary double glazing but I hope they are considering an investment in proper double glazing in the future. The bar was nice if expensive. A bit mean not to have a few nuts etc. at these prices.

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

Very nice hotel in a good location for city centre/china town/Canal St. Everything was spotless, rooms were spacious and beds very comfortable. Staff friendly and helpful. Hotel rather expensive for food/drink - £5.90 for a pint of bulmers! looking £17 pp for breakfast which is ridiculous after paying £260 to sleep in a bed for 2nights! i really think this should be included as it would be in northern ireland! needless to say we went to yates & had a breakfast bap for £1.95 each & which hit the spot. Had dinner in hotel 1 night, food was tasty but again overpriced at £60 for 2 main meals & a drink each. Not alot to do in manchester itself apart from drink & shop, found the area around the hotel dirty and run down .. I'd recommend going out of the city and going to the trafford centre and printworks for restaurants/nights out as bars beside hotel were all cheap and nasty apart from the blue parrott.

Room Tip: we were on 4th floor and didn't hear any noise, so im assuming the higher the better!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

The room was freezing and there was no way to adjust the temperature.

I complained at reception, they told me to switch off air conditioning off and told me the heating was not on at this time of the year as the weather has been mild. The temperature outside was 10 degrees and it was about 16 degrees in the room. Not exactly mild!

I switched off the air con and went for 3 hours. It did not make any difference. When I complained again at reception, they laughed at me - they could not understand what my problem was and why would I want a warm room - bedrooms are supposed to be cold. They told me they were going to come to the room and bleed the radiator. I told them there was no radiator there. They talked to me like I was a little stupid woman and there was a radiator in every room and they would eat their hat if there was not one. Except there wasn't one! So they brought in couple of noisy fans to heat up the room and laughed at us fussy southerners!

I stayed in lots of hotels before and it is the first hotel I stayed in years where you cannot adjust the room temperature!

The following day things got even worse. I ordered english breakfast and it took 40 minutes to arrive. 40 minutes?! How long does it take to cook egg and bacon? The party at the table next to me came 5 minutes later and were told there were no baked beans left. I was 'lucky' to get baked beans - see the picture. Even students would not manage to produce this kind of food, how can you go wrong with baked beans?! it looked absolutely disgusting. It had a bit if plastic on the top of them too.

The manager was apologetic and did not charge us for breakfast and gave us free drink. Free breakfast, except it was not edible. £2 macdonalds breakfast tastes better than £17.50 breakfast at 4 star macdonald hotel!

Stay clear of this place, lots of much nicer places to stay in Manchester.

Also the place is noisy until early hours of the morning due to the bars outside.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank Alex_vm1
The Wirral, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Just returned from a one night stay. We had room105 and the road noise was unbelievable! It felt like we were in the road and not in a 4 star hotel. Then at 3.40 pm shouting and screaming plus sirens. I am at home now and shattered from 2 hours sleep. Everything else about the hotel was very good. The bar was lovely and relaxing and the brasseries for our evening meal was very enjoyable. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss, but the staff were very helpful. Would stay again, but would insist on a quiet room and if nothing available would not stay. As others have stated, close to China Town, Palace theatre and not far to walk to the shopping areas. Discounted parking close by, near Novotel. Staff pleasant and informative about the local area, but did not really care that we had a bad night's sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor away from traffic notice
london
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Good hotel

Close to all things in the city

Room good and clean

Service good

Had a good experience and will stay here again

Heavy rain lashing at my window all night, but I guess that this nothing to do with the hotel

Good value and fine breakfast experience again with good service

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business