“Too noisy- bad nights sleep!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Townhouse Hotel Manchester

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #43 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
cardiff
“Too noisy- bad nights sleep!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 1 night on business which coincided with the Conservative Party Conference. I knew that I would have to pay over the odds as the city was busy and at full capacity. I trekked lots of luggage from the nearest open air NCP.... up the stairs to reception (no help offered even though reception staff quite clearly observed this). Checked in to room 216. The room was very small and strangely had an opaque, 'greyed' out sash window. Therefore no view and zero natural light. I decided on dinner in the hotel bar- the seared tuna nicoise was excellent. Back to the room for an early night as I'd got a busy day planned. It soon went down hill- with a bang! Literally. The noise from the club opposite/ behind the hotel from 11pm onwards was awful- particularly bad from 2.30 - 4am !! Shouting, vile language and general disturbance. I had just dropped off when at 6am the bottle bins were emptied. On checkout I was asked how my stay was. I explained my disappointment and asked for an explanation. The receptionist explained that they were aware of this problem with this room. Really?! Why charge almost £200 for a room only/ no gym/ no breakfast/ no parking for a room with ridiculous noise issues! And admit it! I was insulted that basically I'd been ripped off. Even a Premier Inn would offer a money back guarantee for a shocking nights sleep! Not acceptable. Will not return.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank manoloCardiff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Our room was upgraded upon check-in, which was lovely. The room was very spacious and well appointed. Our bed was comfortable and everything was clean and in good order. We didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on that but the staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is in a great location, not far from anything and surrounded by plenty of restaurants. The only negative, and this is really nit-picking, is that in a very spacious bathroom, the shower was quite small with a massive rain shower so that trying to stand out of the way when you put conditioner in your hair, is quite difficult. All-in-all, a very pleasant stay and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had room 410 and noise wasn't a problem for us.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

I travel to Manchester regularly for business. My first stay at the Townhouse although I regularly use Macdonald Piccadilly. I was very imprssed and will definitely use again. Well situated, clean, quiet and reasonably spacious. Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
WORKSOP
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

Stayed in a family room on a Saturday evening so was expecting some noise, but in fact the noise was so overpowering we had to ask for ear plugs! I understand it was a Saturday night but when paying almost 150 pounds for a one night stay I expected a good nights sleep.
More worryingly the air conditioning system was making a buzzing noise on and off so had to contend with that too. Found in the morning that the air conditioning was leaking into the power unit and running down the wall! I switched it off and reported to reception on the way out.
We were told they were very sorry and would contact me with some sort of discount or apology, I have heard nothing, then to top it off I was charged an extra fee for paying by Credit card! Very disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DAVID P
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night and found the hotel lovely and had an enjoyable stay.
Very convenient location, close by parking, large comfortable bed, very clean, excellent amenities.

However at just before 8 am we were startled to find a maid walked into our room without knocking and walked straight back out again. This woke us earlier than we would have liked after a late night, not to mention scared us to death!!!

A few things in the bathroom like a lose shelf in the very small shower, and a very lose wobbly bathroom tap are small things that could be (and should be) easily fixed.

And finally when I went to make a cup of tea with the facilities in the room there were only early grey or green tea bags. Yuk.

I would have explained all this at check out only the receptionist never asked if we had a good stay?!

Never the less a comfortable night, and didn't notice any particular nightlife noise.. Even though the weekend...

• Stayed September 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

we stayed here bank holiday weekend in august......it is a lovely hotel... the rooms were spacious and comfortable and the bathroom was very modern...... we only had breakfast and it was good.... friendly staff no complaints will stay again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

After a horrible train journey, arriving to my room was a welcoming surprise. The room was lovely and spacious as was the bathroom. Lots of lovely little touches such as bathrobe and slippers and a bottle of water waiting.

Decided to have a lazy night and ordered room service. Food was not too pricey and really lovely.
Upon check-in I indicated I am a light sleeper and they took care I had a room on one of the top floors ensuring it was nice and quiet. The bed was very comfy too which is really important for me as I have a bad back.

Would love to come back here again!

• Stayed September 2013