“Fantastic Service, great breakfast, shame about street noise”

Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #45 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Lancashire
“Fantastic Service, great breakfast, shame about street noise”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Located at the corner or Portland and Princess Streets on edge of China town well located for all central attractions! Shopping and nightlife. We stayed one night, and found the hotel staff to be genuinely interested in their customers. The room was spacious and well decorated, very clean - I'd guess recently refurbed. Hotel had left balloons and cookies (belated birthday resent for husband, which I thought a nice touch).

Breakfast was as good as any I've had in Manchester (we're on a mission to stay in as many different hotels as we can!), only rivalled by its sister hotel The Manchester Macdonald.

Deduced a star due to street noise. There's nothing the hotel can do about this, it's on a major intersection; the windows are well glazed, but nothing prevents the noise of late night/early morning party goers from just taking the edge of an otherwise great stay. I'd stay again, but probably need earplugs!

1 Thank Justine L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
  • Hungarian first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

A wonderful night's stay, excellent service, food, location and comfort for my boyfriend and I. The staff couldn't do enough for us particularly as we got engaged during our stay. The staff gave us a lovely card, chocolates and champagne to help us celebrate which helped make it so special. Dinner was excellent and the food delicious with attentive waiting staff. Very comfortable bed with spacious bathroom which had fabulous shower. Not troubled by any noise by revellers during night, very quiet, in fact, brilliant location for exploring Manchester. One of the best breakfasts I've ever had and so nice to be waited on with freshly cooked food (fried bread to die for) rather than the usual hot buffet at other hotels. Can't recommend this hotel enough for location, customer service, food and comfort. We will definitely go back even though we only live a few miles away!

1 Thank Catwee
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed in a superior double room, which was spatious and very nice, esp. the bathroom and with a very comfortable king size bed. We got a good internet deal, so the review is based on a reduced price.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed Saturday night in a 'executive double' !!
Checking in was pleasant enough and the receptionist that afternoon was polite and friendly.
Our room 102 was easy to find.
When I entered the room it was quite dark even for a sunny afternoon and just didn't have a nice feel about it. The furniture seemed to look on the cheap side and the small round table with 2 hard chairs was certainly not comfortable to sit on to read at. The purple retro chair with foot stool was a nice addition although 2 of those would have been better.
I personally have a issue with interconnecting doors in my room and this room had one so this was a little off putting for me. Yes the doors were locked but its just a issue with me and interconnecting. If I request an interconnecting room then fine but I did not. Maybe the hotel could state they have interconnecting room at booking.
Tea and Coffee making facilities were in the room and a sign to offer fresh milk was on show. I did call down to room service and the speed of this service was brilliant.
There were dressing gowns and slippers on the back of the bathroom door. The dressing gowns were fine although the slippers once again a little on the cheap side.

We went out for the evening and arrived back to the hotel by 23.15 the front doors lock at 23.00 but you press the door bell and instantly the doorman came to let us in. Friendly chap so no worries there.

We decided instead of having room service we would have a couple of drinks in the lounge and order some food off the 'light menu / room service'. Nothing big or complicated, just some Soup of the Day, French Fries and a Steak Sandwich, all of which we were told was unavailable. Surely at 23.30 it's not so late and it was from the light menu and room service so I couldn't see how a bowl of soup would be that difficult. The only available food is 4 types of cold sandwich. Salmon, Ham, Tuna and possible egg can't remember the last one. Nothing warm sadly. We ordered 2 ham sandwiches. No offer of brown or white bread which was a shame. It came with white. Presentation was fine you got 6 triangles of pre-sliced bread and what seemed to be pre-sliced ham with not a lot of taste, mustard on the side, a small bowl of crisps and abit of rocket. We were hungry so it was ok.
The lounge itself was comfortable with large soft sofas and was fairly quiet until a group of around 8 adults (half cut) came in. They were very loud and at one point did knock over their bottle of wine onto the floor which smashed and the poor waiter had to get a mop and bucket. Maybe the night manager could have suggested to them that they had all had enough to drink, rather than spoil the atmosphere for the other couples wanting abit of peace and quiet time or just asked them to keep it down abit and to respect the other guests. I would expect this sort of behaviour from an ibis or travel lodge not a four star hotel, where we had paid good money!

Once back in our room I went for a drink of water to find there was only 1 bottle of sparkling water on the tray with no still water, i also noticed the sparkling water had already been tampered with ie the seal had been broken already and certainly not by us.

In the bathroom the tap on the sink was rather loose and the shower tray filled with water quickly. But it was a good size and was clean and tidy.

The bed was lovely and certainly a king size, the 'mattresses' were comfy. However, the bottom sheets did not fit the bed as couldn't be folded under top of bed, so mattress was showing. Also I found a dip in the middle of the bed which my leg kept falling into on investigation we found it was actually 2 mattresses zipped together rather than a single king size mattress. So you ended up sleeping basically on 2 single mattresses, very annoying but frankly just odd.
I have been to many hotels and haven't noticed 2 mattresses zipped together.

These small issues were reported to the reception staff when we checked out. He didn't seem to bothered but hopefully they will be fixed. As for the water he said that they only offered 2 bottles of water if they had it!

Sadly, i feel this hotel is not up to a 4 star quality and I certainly wouldn't pay for an executive room.

Please remember I am very open and honest with my reviews and they are only my opinion. Other guests I'm sure would love it. I however like a great service, super quality and I look at every detail.

Room Tip: Quiet room and first floor.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I was given a room within the vicinity of a night club of which I was not warned about before hand. I had a terrible sleep and was finally woken up by the noise when the night club finished at about 3am. When reception finally answered my call they offered to move me but did not take into account that a woman on her own may not want to dash across to who knows where within the hotel. Within the room that I was staying in, I noticed that there looked like a large blood stain on the curtains and on the back of the bed runner there was a very suspicious white stain -disgusting. When I complained, the man on the reception treated me with disdain and dismissed it all with a, I will inform housekeeping of your concerns. I will never stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel as you are not guaranteed a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Annon186363
N.Ireland
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This is the first time we have stayed at this hotel and what a pleasant stay we had,from we arrived until checkout we were treated very well indeed.
Breakfast was help yourself continental style buffet and then your waiter took your order for a cooked breakfast which was faultless and very enjoyable.
My only complaint of our stay was the water temperature of the shower which would mix between warm and near cold at times.
The hotel is very centrally located near Piccadilly and is also close to china town which is also worth a visit.
I hope to return to Manchester again and will try and stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Cheltenham
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I was going to be in Manchester, alone, on business so I wanted a hotel that was central and comfortable. The positive reviews I read about the MacDonald Townhouse made this seem a good choice. It is well located on the junction of two main roads. Unfortunately, the room I had on the first night [a Classic] did not have double glazing man enough to block out the traffic noise from the busy arterial highways or the drunks wandering up and down the street. I spoke to reception at 4:50am to say that I could not possibly stay there the following night and they would either have to move me to another room or I would find somewhere else. I was 'upgraded' to an Executive Room. This meant that there was a bit more space around the bed and the bathroom, instead of having a shower over the bath, had a separate [very small] shower cubicle. The black bathroom was challenging when it came to applying make up but then decor was not really to my taste. Dark and trend looks great in well lit professional photos but is rather depressing if you have to stay in it for any length of time with nothing else to look at. And, horror of horrors, on the second evening I lay on my bed, too tired to do anything but watch TV to find......the Tv didn't work. A hour or so later, having had replacements televisions and new remotes, I was told that only a few channels worked because there was a 'city-wide problem' with broadcasting. Still, I was so exhausted, I guess it didn't really mater. The beds are very comfortable but the bedlinen looked to me as though it had reached the end of its serviceable life. Clean but well used. Room service was patchy. One night my steak sandwich was delicious. On the second night, I bit into it and gagged on such a large amount of fat that I lost my appetite. I phoned to complain and asked how the chef who put the sandwich together could possibly have thought the person eating it would not notice that the ratio of fat to meat was going in the wrong direction. There was no satisfactory reply to that but I wasn't charged for it. When it came to paying the bill, I said that I was not prepared to pay in full for the first night because I had had no sleep and the opening day of my course was ruined by tiredness. I did say that I would pay for everything else. The chap on the desk at the time said he could not authorise a 'discount'; that, if I couldn't sleep, I should have asked to be moved in the middle of the night and that payment of my bill would have to wait for the manager to ring me the following day. I was assured that my card would not be charged. I got a phone call three days later while I was in the middle of Sunday lunch. It was not convenient to speak then and I asked for a ring back during business hours the following day to discuss the final payment. I am still waiting. However, I discovered when my credit card statement arrived - to my disgust - that I had, in fact, been charged IN FULL on the very day that I checked out, despite assurances to the contrary. In my world, this is appalling business practice. I would not recommend this hotel: it is superficially attractive but does not offer anything like the level of comfort or quality that one could reasonably expect from its rating or its prices.

Room Tip: Make sur that you do NOT have a room on the corner. Or on the first floor. You won't get a wink...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business