Townhouse Hotel Manchester
Ranked #48 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed her for two nights over the weekend. The hotel has recently been re-furbished and the money has been well spent. The rooms and bar area are very moderen stylish and functional. Our room wasnt huge however prefectly suitable for a two night stay. I also found the staff very friendly and chatty. My main issue with the hotel are that It is diffcult to find. The pricture which is showen on website which looks like the main entrance is actually not on Portland street and hotel is still displaying signs outside which say Princess Hotel. Which i belivie is the name of the hotel before Macdonald took over. Therefore we walked past the hotel and up a very long Portland street twice before finding the hotel ( Not many builidings had buildings number). The other issue which has possibly put me off staying at the hotel is the noise issue. We were on the first floor at the front of the building and could here almost everything from street level . We were awoken countless times during the night and then again very early in the morning as drilling was taking place on the road outside our room. I understand that the hotel can not control what is happing outside however I think the sound proofing (if any ) Is very poor. I would only suggest the hotel should maybe not assign those rooms to guest ( if possible and not full ) when there are road works outside the hotel .

Room Tip: Ask for a quite rooms even if you are not a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,744)

Reviewed March 16, 2012

I've stayed in many hotels in Manchester over the years as I travel alot for work and this has to be one of the best!
I checked in early doors as I was off to a meeting and didn't expect to be given a room as I was well before the 2pm check in time but this was not an issue. My room was on the 3rd floor, very modern and spacious in both the bedroom and bathroom. The attention to detail was impeccable as was the cleanliness. I had a seperate shower also which by the way was as god send as I woke up late the next morning and I always find it quicker to step in the shower rather than stepping in the bath. I opted for room service and ate in my room. Service was very quick and the food was lovely. I didn't try the resturaunt because I was on my own but it looked very comfortable and relaxed.
Needless to say I will be back and next time with someone I can have dinner with!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Kibib
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My partner and I have stayed at this hotel 3 times over the last year. It is in a great location, close to Train Station (10 min walk max with case) , Shopping (10 min) and nightlife on Canal Street (5 min). The staff are all very friendly. Especially the barman that was on duty on our last visit when some other customers were a bit out of order in my opinion. The poor guy was on his own with a number of customers yet he remained professional throughout.
The rooms are of a good size and clean, with nice bathrooms. The hotel is on a very busy street and there is some street noise but this is the middle of Manchester after all.
I only have one gripe after staying at a few different Macdonald hotels - why leave one bottle of water when there are 2 guests?

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stopped for a night (Saturday) as we were in Manchester for a gig.
Girl on check-in was very polite and helpful. Room was lovely, clean, and quiet. Was on 5th floor, and the only noise I heard at night was wife snoring LOL! Would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank ScooterFoxterrier
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed for one night for leisure/shopping. Couldn't fault hotel. Central location, spotlessly clean, courteous friendly Staff. Exchanged double for twin room as two lady travellers. Breakfast was excellent as were all hotel facilities, the Staff were courteous, helpful and informative regarding local area etc. Nothing was too much trouble for them. Checked out at 11am but our train was not leaving until 7pm, Hotel stored our luggage securely at no extra cost, enabling us to enjoy shopping in Manchester without hassle of dragging cases around with us. Would definitely recommend this hotel and would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Always ask re exchanging double for twin rooms/vice versa. Make use of luggage storage facilities, s...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank linda k
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Fantastic stay in the city, stylish very comfortable and very professional, helpful staff.

Would recommend for a romantic stay or for the more luxurious business trip.

Room service prompt and polite. Breakfast in bed was very tasty!

Everything you should expect from MacDonald and for the price!

Well worth it!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Little_Me_2006
Reviewed March 9, 2012

we arrived at 2pm check in time to be told our room was not ready and offered a drink in the bar,after 40 mins it was ready,bad start,lovely clean room,6 pillows,you control the heating,very large bed,plenty of towels,we stayed for 3 nights the staff cant do enough for you,andrew & sasha,we were on the 4th floor room 414 the last room in the corner maybe explains why it was not ready when we arrived last to be cleaned every day,i would stay here again,the 2 things that let it down are the windows dont open so no fresh air in the morning,and the traffic noise in the morning,get yourself some earplugs and you will be ok,we had a great time.

Room Tip: inner room would be quieter,buy ear plugs.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple