“I would rather sleep in the lieu”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #89 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Boerne, Texas
“I would rather sleep in the lieu”
Reviewed July 22, 2007

The limited information given by Expedia makes the place seem decent enough for the price and convenience. The lobby of the hotel reminds one of Vegas' old casinos like Binions, dark and dated but charming. But the rooms--I seriously considered sleeping in the car. There was hair from many different parts of the body all over the bathroom and woven into the fibres of the woolen blanket on the bed. The bathroom had no toilet paper and the baseboards had never been cleaned since the place opened by the looks of them. There was bird poo on the lamp shade that had been deliberately broken as to fit on the tiny table. I stripped the bed of everything except the sheet & my bare feet never touched the carpet. The next morning we forfeited the prepaid second night and sped over to the Radisson glad to pay the exorbitant price they comanded. They say that people look back on experiences like this and laugh. I shudder. And, I challenge the owners to spend one night in their hotel.

• Liked — Leaving the premises
  • Disliked — Its existence
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Golddigger0723

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Boerne, TX
Reviewed July 22, 2007

The hotel drive up and reception areas are extremely deceiving. As soon as we headed to our rooms, we were horrified. The elevator will only hold one person and one large bag at a time, so we had to drag our bags up several flights of stairs. The stairs and hallways were old, smelled awful and hadn't been vacuumed in ages. When we got to our rooms, it only got worse. The sheets had not been changed, there were pubic hairs evident around the toilet, there was a reddish-brown stain on the moldy shower curtain and lots of dirty build-up around the edges of everything. When we called housekeeping to ask for some toilet paper (there was none), it was delivered to another room in our party instead. Upon seeing that that room did have toilet paper, the maid evidently decided to seek revenge by leaving a commercial toilet paper roll about one foot across sitting next to the regular-sized dispenser. We all checked out the next day, forfeiting the pre-paid second day, for cleaner accomodations. We noticed that some rooms were being renovated, but we would never consider going back, no matter how inexpensive it was.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
Millville, Utah
Reviewed July 5, 2007

This place needs some serious upgrading. We had to go through 4 different rooms before we found one that didn't have stains on the carpet and bedding. The rooms reeked of smoke and the bathroom had a ring of soap scum around the bottom of it. We ended up not sleeping at all, because the beds were so worn out. We got up early and left for the airport. We did not even dare take a shower, because the rooms really were not very clean. Would not recommend this place to anyone. There were a lot of people in the same situation. Every time we were at the reception desk we overheard people complaining about their room. Cleanliness was also a problem in the restaurant and service was not that great. May seem like a bargain hotel, but remember you get what you pay for. My recommendation would be pay a little more and stay at the Radisson Hotel down the street. It looked much nicer. Would never stay here again. Also had pet hair on the sofa. Yuck!!!

2 Thank purple02
Telford, Shropshire
Reviewed July 2, 2007

A party of seven of us parked and stayed here in June 2007, using HolidayExtras Fly and Park scheme.

It was good value for money and the receptionist was very friendly and knowledgable.

The rooms were a good size, but the hotel desperately needs a refurb: the public areas were not too bad, but the decor and equipment in the rooms was dated and worn. E.g. the bathroom sealants were wearing and grubby. There were chipped tiles too. The beds had seen better days too!

The transfers were brilliant to and from the airport, but the car park leaves a lot to be desired: it is very cramped!

It looks like they have improved the security of the site as I noticed a few CCTV cameras around and fences with razor-barb on the top.

In summary, though it served its purpose and I would stay again.

• Liked — Good value for money and location to Manchester Airport
  • Disliked — Decor and tight car park.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Scotland
Reviewed June 19, 2007

I stayed at the Britannia Country House Hotel for 1 night on the 31st May 2007 and parked my car for 15days while I was on Holiday in Cuba cost £78.00.
After reading some of the reviews about this Hotel I was a bit worried about staying here. I found this Hotel very good when we arrived the girl on Reception was very helpfull.When we got to our room on the 1st floor it was very clean and tidy we even had a large Jacuzzi bath which we made full use of.
We arrived at about 4pm and went to the Bar for a drink and we were pleasantly surprised when there was a Happy hour till 8pm.
when we booked the Hotel we were told that the 15 days Parking would be either at the Hotel car Park or a Car Park near bye we wwere parked in the Hotel car park so we made full use of the HHappy Hour.
We ate in the Caverey Restaurant for our evening meal and it was very good value for money. We did not have Breakfast in the morning because we were getting picked up at 5.30 pm to go to Manchester Airport.
We used the hotel courtesey bus and had no Problems with this.
On our return from Holiday we waited for about 10mins for the courtesey bus to take us back to the Hotel to pick up my car whithout any problems.
If in the future I am ever flying from Manchester Airport again I will stay here again.

• Liked — Value for Money
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank marco44
Kesgrave, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2007

My brother got married here so all the family stayed here, and that amounted to a lot of people and many rooms in the hotel.

To be fair the wedding itself and the room, food etc were excellent and we all had a great time (setting aside the fact that my Dad's wallet was stolen during the reception and the police got involved etc).

If you are thinking of staying here, think again and see if you can find an alternative option. It is without a shadow of a doubt, the very worst hotel I have ever stayed in (well apart from a dockside pub in Newhaven which wasn't really a hotel anyway).

We had booked months in advance, at supposed discounted rates, and arrived at the hotel looking forward to a great family reunion and a stay in some degree of luxury. How mistaken can you be!

We arrived around 9.30pm on the Friday night to be greeted by an atmosphere of cigarette smoke emanating from the bar area enlivened by coach loads of visiting Manchester United fans on tours from Ireland. Apart from the smoke there was nothing wrong - they were a very friendly and sociable group, but it wasn't the sort of welcome we had been expecting.

The reception staff were absolutely useless.

We had booked two twin rooms for two nights and it appears that these rooms had been given to other people, and we were given very substandard rooms at rates above what we had been promised and agreed.

Having been told there were literally no other rooms available we were asked to take the rooms we were given and come to reception the next morning to try and sort it out.

Without going into too much detail, I spent much of the next day trying to explain my dissatisfaction and disappointment with the way we had been treated, with incompetent and rude reception staff. The staff and management are clearly unable to cope with the basics of running a hotel. At one point we were given the key to another room, and when we went to check it out we found (as suspected) it was already occupied by another couple attending another wedding at the hotel.

We were eventually given a discounted rate for the rooms we had - we never got a decent room,nor the rooms we had booked for - but the rate was still much higher than the rooms were worth. The rooms themselves were dirty, ill-appointed and very small. It was without doubt a very depressing experience and one that I do not intend to ever repeat. My letters of complaint to the management have fallen on deaf ears, so all I can do now is advise other prospective visitors to look elsewhere.

I can only assume that the proximity to the airport and the Manchester football grounds mean that there is a large market that this hotel has access to. All I can say is that there may be many people who stay at this hotel, but I'm pretty certain that the number of people who come a second time will be extremely small.

Go somewhere else!

• Liked — There is nothing to like about this place.
  • Disliked — The reception staff were at best incompetent.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Birches16
Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed June 15, 2007

I wish that i'd read the reviews before I went, as most people seem to agree with me!

Tried to 'phone the hotel from the airport to see how often the courtesy bus ran there, but got no answer.

When I got to the hotel I was given the key to Room 13. I'm not superstitious, but I found the room really dirty with rubbish from the last occupant under the dressing table, and dust everywhere.

The decor was really old fashioned and nothing matched.

I couldn't get the shower to work and when I got into the bed I found it uncomfortable and full of lumps.

The radiator wouldn't go on however long I fiddled with it, and there was just one grubby looking blanket on the bed. I found another one in a cupboard but was still too cold to sleep.

So I got up early for breakfast, which was very uninspiring. The bacon was hard and overcooked and the eggs greasy. The carpet in the dining room looked as though it hadn't been hoovered for weeks.

After all these bad reviews, I honestly don't understand why the manager doesn't get the hint and do some big improvements to the place. It was nice and near to the airport, but I won't be staying there again!

• Liked — Near to the airport
  • Disliked — Cold, dirty and unfriendly.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Janetwoman