“Noisy, run-down joke of a hotel”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #88 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
United Kingdom
“Noisy, run-down joke of a hotel”
Reviewed December 11, 2006

Truly awful. I knew I was in trouble when the roadsign said 'hotel and nightclub'. The car park turned out to be overcrowded, dodgy and in parts completely flooded. The room was incredibly out-of-date, but reasonably clean. The biggest problem for me was the noise. I had an important meeting the next day, but couldn't get to sleep until very late because of the traffic manuevring around the car park. There was someone attempting to direct the traffic, but a trained monkey would have done a better job. One of the coach drivers started screaming at him in one particular incident, then nearly crashed his coach into some nearby parked cars in a rage. It would have been funny it hadn't been at 2am.

Breakfast should have been included for the price (£109), but I had to pay about £6 for the privilege of a few sad pieces of tinned fruit and a stale croissant.

Oh and the staff were very rude too, but you've probably already guessed that!

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank topbanana123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
UK
Reviewed December 3, 2006

Hotel terrible. Central heating banging at 2am. Had to change room at 3.30am even though up at 6am. Reception were aware of the problem - said radiators needed bleeding!

On return - courtesy bus did not turn up at 6.20am after we had been travelling and up for 24 hours. Taxi back to collect car (£10). Complained to reception but they just smiled and shrugged. Second time this has happened.

**Stay Away**

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
North Yorkshire
Reviewed November 19, 2006

We booked a night at this hotel which included 8 days parking and a meal in the restaurant. As we have a baby, we thought this would be a good option as otherwise it would have been a take away in the room. How I wish we had gone for a take away!

To start with the reception couldn't find out booking reference, it took ages to find a car parking space, the tv wasn't working and there was no cot in the room. To be fair, the staff exchanged the broken tv and brought up a cot very quickly. In fact the staff are pleasant - but the hotel is soulless with a terrible restaurant. Even if you stay here for convenience, go elsewhere to eat. It was a 'Carvery buffet' and had the sort of food one would expect from a bad canteen - soggy veg, processed meats, defrosted gateaux...... The actual rooms were ok in terms of comfort. We had a room at the back and looked out onto a brick wall. The bathroom was offputting as not very clean. The fire alarm went off twice in the small hours which totally defeated the purpose of staying in a hotel the night before and getting a decent sleep. I also left behind a pair of pyjamas which the hotel says they did not find. All in all a great disappointment and not a great start to our holiday at all. I would not use again.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank pickymamma
Swansea County, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 16, 2006

I so wished we had read the reviews before we travelled!
The Hotel is a disgrace.
The Car Parking is at best Chaotic at worst a thieves den.
On our arrival we saw one car broken into and when we informed the reception staff they had no intererst at all.
The service at reception was slow and unfriendly.
They clearly have no idea of good "Cutomer Service" and with so many complaints being made, would have plenty of opportunity to practice.
The room was dirty, smelly, cramped, with dated decor & the bathroom even worse, grimy, dirty broken tiles, elderly, dated sanitary units with chips out of them, not somewhere you would ever want to wash!
The hallways smelt of cigarette smoke complete with unwashed dinner plates & glasses left right outside the door, which never got cleared away during our stay!
After numerous complaints about our first room, we were moved to another, equally bad one and again moved, eventually getting a twin at the front of the hotel. This was bigger and marginally cleaner but noisy with coaches reversing and banging the doors when removing suticases from the hold, all through the night. The fire alarms go off as a matter of routine and nobody even bothers with any fire drill. (Probably down to the amount of smoke in the hotel!)
We had water pour through the ceiling of our room, into the bathroom and bedroom, down the walls etc - again little interest from the reception staff.
We had SCOLDING hot water come from both Hot & COLD taps, so it was impossible to wash in anyway. In fact even the toilet when flused was hot. When complained we got slighly more interest from the staff, ie "ok we'll let maintence know".
Breakfast was adequate but nothing more.
The leisure facilities were better but you will have to pay to use them. (£2.50 each)
The list of issues could go on and on, but there is no point. I will summarise by saying it makes "Faulty Towers" look like the Ritz and avoid the hotel at all costs.
I wouldn't book a neighbours dog into the place!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Customer service and accommodation
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
3 Thank Xhe1d1
Isle of Man
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I will never stay at this hotel again, There was no heating in the room although the shower had to be set to cold to prevent scalding. The place was dirty and the staff slovenly. Breakfast was awful either overcooked or greasy. I saw one member of staff who was laying tables wiping knives on the sleeve of his shirt. We tried to ask the cleaning staff ., who I think came from eastern europe, for some extra blankets but they did not speak English. Parking was abysmal, the room was supposed to be top of the range but the lampshades were smashed, the television appeared as if it was on its way out. If I could rate the overall experience as zero I would. . I could go on and on but I am just glad to be home.

Stayed November 2006
3 Thank ***!!!
Presron, England
Reviewed October 26, 2006

possibly the worst hotel stay ever . My partner and I booked in the night before an early morning flight to New York. when we arrived, the supposedly secure car-park was packed and chaotic, and felt very unsafe. thankfully, the hotel staff did offer us a free alternative, closer to the airport, but this did mean additional hastle in the morning.

Our room smelled terrible, was dusty and very small. the bed was also slightly damp, and did not "feel" secure - we ended up leave our cases in the boot of the car, can carrying all our travel money on ourselves at all times.

The room was also very badly lit - only one lamp, with a very weak bulb lit the room, this probably kept some of the darkness hidden

The bar was also packed full of locals, watching sky sports, and the food in the resteraunt was inedible - it was a buffet-style carvery, that had been kept hot under lamps for hours, leaving the food dry and over-cooked. I had stringy chicken and bullet-like poatoes, with soggy vegitables, and for the two of us, our bill came to close to £40. Drink service was also very slow in the resteraunt.

in a word, stay away!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — just say no to this place!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Loztastic
Telford, England
Reviewed October 7, 2006

We stayed for 1 night prior to flying to America. Car parking was abysmal and seemed chaotic and adhoc (basically abandon your car anywhere you can). Staff appeared robotic and non caring. Room was disgusting for 4 star accomodation (when was this place last inspected?), bathroom should have been renamed Bio growth lab. And to top our misery whilst we were downstairs having an evening meal ( the service was a joke) our room was broken into and burgled (I suspect the oldest trick in the book was employed here i.e. do not leave your room key on the table so that someone can contact an accomplice to let them know your downstairs). The carpet in the restaurant was in a disgusting condition. It took the waiter three attempts to bring the correct drinks to our table and got it wrong everytime. So I went to the bar and ordered the drinks myself. The barmaid did not speak english so I pointed to what I wanted and then I noticed that she was walking through rubbish ankle deep behind the bar. When she took the tops off my bottles she just threw them on the floor. I was going to complain about this to the manager but did not get the chance as I was dealing with the Police until very early the next morning about the robbery. We got on the bus at 6am to go to the airport. I was a bit alarmed that the route we were taking was a bit circuitous going through housing estates and backstreets. The reason for this diversion soon became apparent as the driver stopped to drop off a colleague/friend at his house. Luckily we had left enough time to get to the airport on time. If I were to recommend this place to a friend (or enemy) it would be "AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL COSTS".

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Filthy condition
  • Tips/Secrets — Do not stay here unless it is the only place on earth left
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple