“AWFUL!!!”

Ranked #87 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, UK
“AWFUL!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2006

Steer well clear of this hotel. The pictures on all the websites look very inviting but don't be taken in. My room was dirty and smelt of wee on the bed clothes and in the corner of the room. The room was chintzy to say the least, the bathroom was disgusting with mould growing all around the shower. The hotel still advertises the club next door - It has closed down. This hotel needs a complete overhaul!!

3 Thank NYC_Lover7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
Hull
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2006

We stayed at this hotel overnight before flying to Cyprus. I must say that we were glad to leave it. When we eventually found our room we thought that we had mistakenly wandered into the staff quarters. The room was filty and part of the secondary double glazing was missing. The bathroom was also dirty and the water was only lukewarm. We had an early morning flight so decided to turn in early. We were woken at midnight by children running up and down the corridor screaming and shouting and nobody made any attempt to stop them. This was shortly followed by some members of staff shouting to each other along the corridor.

Never again a tent would be preferable.

• Stayed November 2005
4 Thank SusanHull
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2006

Sub Standard, waste of money, Dated, filthy dirty, smells, stinks. We had to change room 4 times on arrival and each room was worse than the next one. The Leisure Facilities are as dirty as the jacuzzi baths in the so called Executive Rooms.... This is the classical FAWLTY TOWERS except it is not funny to have been ripped off....They should pay the guests to stay there... It is a disgrace in this day and age that they can actually get away with this...It should be struck off all lists as an Hotel...It is rancid...

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel for a friends wedding 4 years ago and was happy to be going back, again for a wedding held here. Upon arrival i was given the keys to a ground floor room towards the back of the hotel, this room was small, dark and dirty. The television did not work and when i happened to move it forward from its position on the scarred and chipped side table i discoved an inch of thick grey dust. The bathroom was old and worn looking, and bed sunk down to the base went sat on. Feeling depressed I was aprehensive about asking to change rooms as I have never done this before but the thought of two days in these surroundings made me more determined. Having already queued at reception for 30 at check in i returned and waited a further 15 and was then told the staff at the desk could not help but to wait for someone in the back office to surface. The woman who did was confrontational and unhelpful but did not seem at all suprised at my request to move. she gave me another room key telling me to check the room out but that it was the last double available in the entire hotel. This room was only a fraction better than the first and the presence of rubbish on top of the bed covers resolved me to a fight, at this time 4 of my friends had rooms in the other new side of the hotel which were markedly better than what i had seen in the older side of the hotel. Returning to the reception I said I was not satisfied with the room and found that the man next to me had also been moved to the same corridor from another part of the hotel. At this point I requested a room in the new side to the hotel even if it was not a double or to be moved the next day at least, this was not taken seriously and after much deliberation the woman i dealt with earlier went back to the office to get a new key, this time the room was passable, at least it was clean though hardly what i expected for £50 per night. My parents arrived the next day and were given the room next door proving that the hotel has a scale of rooms depending on how many times you complain. The hotel bar also charged different prices for the same drinks each round so watch out if you use it, the hotel pub and nightclub were also closed down during my stay. The one redeeming feature was the breakfast which i found to be great at 7am but others complained of at later sittings.

7 Thank Kendra W
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2005

A friend decided to have her hen night at the hotel and this was chosen because of the on site facilities, including night club. I had read the previous reviews and was very worried about what to expect. The hotel reception is large and quite impressive. The bar area was comfortable. We had a room on the third floor and the sheets and towels were clean. Supplies of shower gel, soap, shampoo etc in bathroom. We were lucky and had a jacuzzi bath in the room. We had a four poster bed (we were expecting a twin room) a Welsh Dresser and ample wardrobe space. OK not as pristine as it might have been but then given the high turnover of people using it perhaps not surprising. I paid £45 for a room for the night, carvery buffet with wine, breakfast, entrance to leisure facilties and the nightclub. It was good value for money.

I do have to say though that at least one of the 11 rooms we booked was below standard with the couple asking to be moved because of the smell.

The fire alarm went off for a short time at about 8.00am and we thought that this was a ploy to get the late night revellers out of bed!!

All in all we had a good time there and I'd got back for a similar type of function. The room was an executive room (good fortune on our part not planned) and perhaps this makes a difference.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2005

Oh my word. I was forced to stay at the Britannia House Hotel in trendy Didsbury as there were no hotel rooms left anywhere else. However, there was nothing trendy about this hotel. It has a nightclub inside the hotel, which is full of yobs and drunkards.

The room I had was a double. There were stains all over the walls, mold and fungus in the bathroom and stains on the carpet!!!

The place was filthy, the atmosphere was smokey and the sandwich I ordered in the bar had mold on the cheese and a tomato slice that was clearly off!

Next day I paid £120 to transfer into the Lowry, where I had a long shower to clean myslef!!!

Thoroughly not recommended under any circumstance!!

Stay clear!!! Please stay well away.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
7 Thank chuckishfox
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2005

This Hotel was recommended for us to stay before our early morning flight. We wanted a good night sleep. No chance. The courtesy bus sounds its horn as it arrives. Leaves its engine running. People fighting and swearing outside from the nightclub. Guests running up and down the corridor. Cars outside using the car park as a race track. On top of that the hotel is dark, smoky, dirty, dust up the walls of the room. Finaly what's the point of staying at this hotel before flying fron Manchester. We landed at nine missed the bus and would have to wait another hour. Hotel run by Kids a disgrace.

Stayed October 2005