“Hotel for Masochists Only”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #89 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Calgary, Canada
“Hotel for Masochists Only”
Reviewed June 27, 2005

After letting the courtesy phone ring for a good 2-3 minutes, I was informed that I had just missed the bus to the hotel (probably while I was on the phone) and would have to wait another hour for the next bus. The bus was new and clean giving me a false sense of security about what was to come. The first stop was at the Britannia Airport and all I could think was "thank god I am not staying there". As the bus pulled into the Country House, it didn't look that bad from the outside. But as soon as you open the door to the lobby you are hit by a cloud of smoke. It is dank and dark. We had reserved a non-smoking room but were told that the hotel doesn't have non-smoking rooms because "people just smoke in them anyway."

The room was in the back of the hotel, through a bunch of dark corridors and behind several doors. Even as a big city girl, I felt unsafe. Then I opened the door. It smelled like a cross between a nursing home, mold and a seedy pub. The bathroom was filth, the window was so warped it didn't close and there were food remnants on the bed. We requested another room. It didn't smell as bad but was, if it is possible, even dirtier. I didn't want to go for round three.

About the best thing I can say about this hotel is that the staff quickly and without argument refunded our money so we could get out of that hole, find another hotel and shower the stank of the Britannia off us.

A word to the wise, I think the Britannia may have a "partnership" deal going with the hotel desk at the airport as I was informed that it (and it's Airport sibling) were the only hotels in the entire city with rooms. It wasn't true so use the courtesey phones and call around yourself. And if all else fails, sleep in the airport. It's cleaner.

5 Thank youngyaya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
Alberta CAnada
Reviewed June 22, 2005

After checking in, we found our way down a dark hallway. Room 118,we almost cried . The room smelled of mould and stale tobacco. TOLD THE STAFF AT DESK ABOUT THE DEPLORABLE CONDITION, THEY SENT US TO ROOM 113 Maybe even worse. My daughter was afraid to take her shoes off ,as the floors were so dirty. There were crumbs on the bedspread and cigarette burns. We had planned on staying there as it was close to the airport. The shuttle bus and driver were great, The bus was new and on it's maiden voyage. After a family meeting the decision was to go back to the airport and check into an airport hotel. So we checkd out,( the staff did not seem surprised) Easier said than done as the band U 2 was in town. Finally obtained space at the Rennaissance SAS. It was our last night of a very wonderful vacation to Ireland ,the Brittania was not going to destroy the joy of our holiday. I wish I had read the reviews of this place, but thought how bad can it be ? Believe me , from the time you walk in the door ,there is a stench. I don't think I could have eaten there either. DON'T STAY THERE !!!!!

• Stayed June 2005
5 Thank GrandmaAlbertaCAnada
Reviewed June 9, 2005

I have never stayed in a worse place. Dirty - the bathroom had not been cleaned and was full of mould. It stank of smoke. The net curtains were grey to black - I guess they were meant to be white! Staff in the Pizzeria were the only friendly staff I came across. I had a load of sheets land on me and knock me to the ground as the housekeeprer hurled them from an upper floor without even looking if there were any guests below. Breakfast was disgusting. Streaky bacon and cold baked beans and coffee from flasks!

The whole experience was foul and I'm shocked this hotel is allowed to remain open given my experience.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2005

You really take your chances with this place. 50% of the staff are ok, the rest are hopeless. The hotel bar is greatly overpriced for poor quality product, the food is ok but stil,l for what you get, a rip off. Their are 2 or 3 bar's that do great value food & drink about 10-15 min walk away, turn left at the niteclub & walk upto second set of lights at the crossroads.
The rooms sometimes don't have power sockets in to plug your phone into etc., I had a half eaten pizza in my room for two days despite being re-placed in its box & on top of the bin. TV's sometimes don't have remotes. To say it needs a refurb is an understatement!!!!

PS don't rely on your mobile either, reception is very poor on any network, non-existant in most of building.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
2 Thank Scout7000
Reviewed May 31, 2005

When I walked into the reception in the early hours of the morning I was impressed with what I saw. When I got to the room I was less than impressed. I got a cheap deal of a travel site and felt like we got a cheap room... reading other reviews it seems their must a few rooms in the hotel like this.... (wish I'd read them first)

We were only there for nine hours and that was really enough. The room was basic, old fashioned and didnt feel overly clean. The wardrobe doors were very difficult to open and I would say they weren't in a great state of repair (hunting for pillows in the early hours was my only reason to open them).

Despite this I thought the reception staff were polite and the breakfast was very good and the quality of the staff in the restauant was very high - but what you really go to a hotel for is the bedroom accomodation and that really let this hotel down - in my experience.

Handy for a stay from the airport but not for anything more.

• Stayed May 2005
South Wales
Reviewed May 29, 2005

Stayed at this hotel for one night, but the dirt and dust must have been around for months. Beer cans flung onto the balcony, windows that could never have deen cleaned, and the dust on the pictures - well you didn't need to run your fingers over the surface you could see it an inch deep. left little stickers on them when we left urging the cleaner to 'dust me'. Paint flaking off the bathroom ceiling. Did complain at the reception on checking out. The hotel needs a good clean, even in the public areas you can see dust. Most of the waiting staff cannot understand English.
There is a pub but it is a good 10-15 minute walk away, straight up the road from Fridays nightclub, past the two sets of lights and turn left, much cheaper than the hotel.

• Stayed May 2004
3 Thank frustratedSouthWales
Reviewed May 2, 2005

We stayed here for one night over the bank holiday weekend and were greeted by a miserable receptionist who couldnt even smile.
Room was grubby - not to mention bathroom and not enough towels were provided.
Would not return. Staff not friendly nor professional

Stayed April 2005
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Waterside Hotel & Leisure Club
Etrop Grange
#67 of 118 in Manchester
Holiday Inn Express Manchester East
The Airport Inn Manchester

Been to Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!