“Never Ever Again!”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed June 4, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 8 days. I also arranged for a large party of Adults to stay there some who stayed for4 nights as we had a function booked there. The Function side of things went well and the banqueting Staff more than did their job to make it a success. However as far as the hotel goes, I couldn't recommend it to anybody. They made my wife's stay miserable, but that's another tale on a situation that is certainly ongoing.

The hotel is very noisy particularly at weekends especially throughout the soccer season - Aug - May. They cater for large groups of fans who stay there and think that they have license to create mayhem. The car park is continually full as they let the parking space out for hundreds of people to leave their cars there whilst away on holiday. Pilferage and break in on cars is rife. The hotel service is not good and do not ask for Room Service after 8p.m. because you will not get it and you will be directed to take away chains over a mile away.

They run a 24 hour shuttle bus to the Airport, and there is often lots of noise throughout the night with guests either departing or arriving.

Certainly I would never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 8, 2009

About 70 something people went on the school trip to Manchester for three nights and when i got to my room it was quite nice. The Restaurant was called the Overstuffed Pizza, which was a weird name........? the food was Rotten it tasted terrible. Bathroom was ok and the lobby was quite cossy.

Over all, i would recomend it for value.........................?(maybe..... am only a kid!)

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed May 3, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel (our first visit) looking for a nice 3 course carvery meal(£12.50pp) after our journey to Manchester. To say the meal was poor and looked unappetising would be an understatement! Cold starters of mostly salad stuffs. Supposed to be soup on, found out later you needed to ask for it as it wasn't available at the buffet bar. Free bottle wine was distinctly missing. Not asked if we wanted any. Main course consisted of a choice of lamb or gammon (had to ask for mint sauce). Vegetables unrecognisable. What I think was supposed to be mashed carrot looked overcooked and was a dark dingy brown colour. Inediable, also what I think was mashed potato, looked like a dingy grey sloppy mess, again inediable.. Roast potatoes looked and tasted burnt. Gravy looked like a thin orange watery ox tail soup. Sweet was a choice of 1 type of gateau or cheesecake, (no cream available untill asked for ) or fresh fruit. Also what looked like leftovers from breakfast; grapefruit segments and prunes. Waiter failed to clear plates from table. Ended up placing dirty items on table next to us.
Room was clean and tidy, although on checking my bed It looked as if someone had slept in it (sheets all wrinkled) prior to our arrival. Think it was just poorly made up. Mirror on cupboard broken, big crack halfway down. Layout of the room could do with rearrangement. TV in far corner of room - suggest it should be moved to middle of room between the 2 beds, then all occupants would be able to watch TV from beds. Finally overall room not bad for price. Avoid the carvery like the plague!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2009

Arrived at hotel, first impression very good, room OK, parked car in their car park and went on 14 day holiday. When we returned to pick the car up, it had been broken into with the passenger window broken, the car radio taken and also the sat nav that had been hidden. The hotel didn't know when the incident had occured as it wasn't in their hand over book and the registration number hadn't been taken. The car had been left open to the elements and water damage had occured. They deny all responsibility saying there are disclaimers in the car park and break-ins do not happen very often. The police say different and that sometimes they have as many as 20 cars on one night. I have tried contacting them requesting the CCTV footage and they haven't had the courtesy of replying to e-mails/telephone calls and letters. Out of pocket to the tune of £450.00. NOT HAPPY!!!!!

Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Our impression of the hotel was unfortunately tainted by the hoards of coach driven football fans, one or more of whom through up in the corridor outside our room - not a welcome sight as you go to breakfast!! The rooms were tiny, very dated, clean but only just, although the bed linen was clean, even though they couldn't afford a mattress cover and the bottom sheet fitted straight over the mattress! Wouldn't stay here again if you paid ME!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Stayed in April 2009 unfortunately. Arrived on Friday afternoon to find several cars had taped up windows with black sacks and parcel tape round their windows with glass all over the car park which had not been cleared up. The cars had been broken into. When i checked in I asked when the glass was going to be cleared up and the receptionist shrugged his shoulders. I asked if there was security and he said no but there was CCTV but "nobody was watching it". Beware! Your car is not safe.

My room had a spa bath which was filthy and it didn't work which I reported every day and every day I was told someone would look at it but no-one did. WARNING On two different mornings when I was having a shower scalding water came out of the cold tap as well as the hot tap. I tried the taps individually yes and the sink taps and they were the same and then I ran the bath until it was virtually full before I could get any cold water to come out of the cold tap. Very very dangerous particuarly with children. This happened to two of my colleagues in different rooms as well. When I reported it to reception they implied I was too stupid to know what the cold tap was.

On the first evening I went to the bar to order some drinks, a Baileys, a Scotch and American Dry and a glass of dry white wine. The wine was "off" and tasted disgusting BUT the barman told me he didn't know what Baileys was and that they didn't sell Scotch and he didn't know what American Dry was. I pointed out the Scotch to him and then I had to ask him to show me all the mixers so I could point out what American Dry was!!! Some barman.

I don't care what nationality, colour, race a person is but in a hotel in the UK I do expect them to be able to understand and speak English but sadly in most cases in this hotel they did not.

The food had been prebooked for our party of 26 people but the staff refused to allow us to order off the menu (as had been agreed) and that we all had to have carvery. When we looked at it it was so dried up, congealed, the vegetables were grey and the gravy smelt and tasted disgusting and it had obviously beed standing there for hours, oh and there wasn;t enough to feed 26 people. The staff argued and argued and in the end I gave in and had the carvery, well a couple of mouthfuls, it was inedible and I would not have given it to my dog. I pointed out the disgusting state of the food to the Restaurant Manasger who agreed and said he would get it changed but of course it wasn't changed on any of the nights. This was the same for every meal for three days. In fact they served up chicken in a mustard sauce on the Saturday lunchtime which wasn't eaten, then Sunday lunchtime and again on Sunday evening. The quality of the food was appalling with "value" sausages for breakfast which cost nearly £11. A complete rip off. In most cases staff were rude and couldn't care less. On the Saturday evening I ordered a pizza which took over an hour to arrive and when it did it was completely black. I asked the waiter if he thought it was acceptable to serve food in this condition and he just shrugged, plonked it down in front of me and walked off.

I can recommend the local Kebab house who deliver take aways to the hotel and were doing a very brisk trade. I wonder why. They did take an hour and a half to deliver mind you. Reception have their menus along with a pizza delivery company which I also recommend.

Saturday night and Sunday night several people in the bar area were drunk and very intimidating and the noise was awful including into the early hours of the morning as there was a wedding party going on at the same time, well as well as a large group of football supporters, Oh and a large group of people who had been to the races, oh and a group of Rugby supporters. A colleague had a man who was so drunk he was barely conscious lying on the floor outside her room snoring so loudly she had to go on her own to reception in her housecoat to get help. The music was so loud you could sing along to the songs and hear the DJ. Requests for the music to be turned down were ignored.

Room keys/electronic cards - nightmare. They deactivated several times a day so several times I had to queue in reception while they were checking in large groups to wait to have my key programmed again. They told me it was for security purposes which was a complete laugh because not once did they ask me or any of my colleagues for their names, identification or their room numbers before handing them the card back again. When I checked out the reception manager told me it was a known problem and that the cards deactivated when anyone used a mobile phone near them or anyone nearby locking or unlocking their car remotely. The time wasted was unbelieveable.

I complained to the hotel and I have not had the courtesy of a reply. When I checked out on the Monday the glass was still all over the car park and had not been cleared up.

All in all a horrible place to stay, not worth paying £9 a night let alone what they charge. An utter shambles and rip off. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2009

read the reviews ,and was a bit doubtful, so went anyway .and wasnt dissapointed ended up staying an extra night and booking my brother in . people saying it was dated ,okay the wallpaper had been around a bit and some furniture had dints in it ,but so does antiqes but it was clean.it was free breakfast on offers beetween dates{ keep it up}. asked for kippers first morning ,didnt have any ,so what these things happen .but 2nd morning ,Tony, the restaurant manager, rememberd ,and got me some.kids loved the swimming pool me the steam room. the only thing i was a bit dissapointed at is that the kids was discriminated against has they had to be out for 5pm .but you can picture the members who pay forty odd pound a month,thinks they own the club{get a life}.the children should be able to use the facilities as long as open .its there break as well .right outside you can get the bus into manchester 25 min and are frequent.go out the hotel turn right 5min drive you have a tesco.if you want snacks.[well done britannia].and keep family friendly.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business