“Unhappy customer”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We have stayed here on several occasions before with no complaints but this time the room and service was appalling. The room we were given (478) had a bad smell in it evident later on what from, it had cobwebs from ceiling and a chocolate sweet in middle of floor so clearly had not been cleaned properly. The bed (if that's what you can call it) was a mattress laid on top of some sheets of plywood on top of a divan base then surrounded with a 4 poster frame as per my photos. The least I expect in an hotel is a proper bed. There were no sockets in the room to plug in a phone charger, laptop or hair straighteners which was most annoying and worst of all, laying in bed and looking up we noticed the smoke detector on ceiling had been covered over with a bag or something (photo)hence giving the impression that the smell in room was from cigarettes. We were appalled as this is a health and safety issue. We also had an issue with being overcharged for breakfast when we had clearly booked it online with our room. We would seriously think twice about staying here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank BJT59
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2014

I was disturbed to read your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel. I have passed your comments on to our Head Housekeeper and maintenance team to ensure these issues are resolved immediately.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 2, 2014

I will try and keep this brief, checking in took an age, receptionist seemed more interested in talking to her colleague than dealing with us.
Bedroom had a big bath with a Jacuzzi.....lovely, unfortunately also above a function room with disco and no soundproofing.
Reception does not answer the phone, complaint met with disdain, I could go on but hopefully you get the idea.
Quite probably the worst hotel I have stayed in.

Room Tip: choose different hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Owayn
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay and were disturbed by noise from a function at the hotel.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 2, 2014

A great disappointment, the picture looks good, the prices were brilliant and the staff were helpful. But the hotel has seen better days, rooms are in need of a face lift, the lift closest to our room did not have an inner door and was, in my opinion unsafe. The public areas were clean and had ample seating for guests. The dining room was pleasant but the food left a lot to be desired. I didn't think it was possible to ruin vegetables to this extent. In the two days we were there we had to ask for the key cards to be re-configured three times and we were not the only ones. On the plus side the hotel is handy for both the Trafford Centre and the city centre. I could say you get what you pay for. If you want a cheap weekend visiting a really interesting city and dont mind eating out , this is a great place to sleep.

Room Tip: do not get a room next to a lift, they are very noisy!!!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased to read that you found our prices brilliant and staff helpful.

I can confirm that all of our lifts do meet all necessary Health and safety standards and are safe to use.

Please be assured your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Had a lovely one night stay at this hotel. Smooth check in, with friendly staff, nice room although a little tired but very clean, bed quite hard. Nice three course meal, soup, carvery and pudding whilst being serenaded by michael buble tribute. Comfortable bar area although could do with an upgrade in parts. One tip would be to give the carpets in public areas a good vacuum.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be delighted to pass your comments to all of the staff at the hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for constructive criticism and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed briefly (thank goodness) prior to a morning flight. Very last minute booking. Checking in was fine, staff were pleasant.

Then the fun began.

Room was smelly, curtains were ripped. The bed felt like a wooden board, pubic hair in the bathroom and an unflushed, used, toilet.

Doors set off fire alarms so we hardly had any sleep. This was no fault of the guests, they're so badly marked, even we were guilty of it.

Oh and the sign outside isn't even lit up properly...something that would never bother me but on this ocassion was a warning sign!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed here 2nd week in February on a Caledonian Coach Trip. Having read some of the previous reviews I was a little wary. However having stayed there I have to stay that I do not recognise some of the detrimental comments made. I think that some people will complain even if they stayed in a 5 star! Yes parts of it are a bit tired (which is true of most Britannia hotels) but it is also obvious that refurbishments are underway. We had an executive twin - which was huge. First time we have had a double bed each. Bathroom was spacious with a jacuzzi bath. Room was absolutely spotless. When we arrived the heating was on and we were able to control it in the room. On the 3rd day (which happened to be the day of the big storm) the heating was off when we got back. Went to the reception and I was told that the heating was on a timer now. Explained that my mother was in her 80's and with the weather outside needed heat. By the time I got back to the room - the radiators were toasty hot.
The breakfasts and dinners were buffet style. There were a good number of choices to suit all tastes. Properly cooked and constantly replenished. The staff in the hotel both at the reception and in the restaurants were very friendly, helpful and efficient. Also the housekeeping staff were excellent - as previously stated our room was spotless. Would be more than happy to stay here again

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2014

Good Value

Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel, I would like to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor for other guests to read.

We do try our to make all of guests stays enjoyable and I will pass your kind comments on to all of our staff.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

we stayed here a couple of weeks ago on a Caledonian coach tour from Glasgow and this was our base for our trips out to Liverpool and chester. we were given an executive family room which was a very good size as there were only the 2 of us. the bathroom was a really good size too with a really good power shower over the bath. the staff were very friendly, the bar in reception and the one in the dining room have a happy hour which lasts 3 hours from 5-8pm. the food was fine and there was plenty of choice for everyone. I think they turn off the heating during the day as it came on about an hour after we returned from our trips but we never felt cold and this was the 2nd week in February. all in all we really enjoyed our stay here. the rooms were very clean and tidy though we did find a pair of rolled up socks and half eaten packet of sweets under one of the chairs in the room .they topped up the tea bags each day but only had 2 coffees on first day and they did not get topped up again but I am sure if we asked in reception they would have given us some more. I would certainly stay here again if we ever have to get a flight from Manchester this would be our hotel of choice before the flight.

Room Tip: we were right over main entrance on first floor and expected it to be noisy but it wasnt
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Very nice stay here

Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your positive feedback Trip Advisor.