“5* staff in a 3* hotel”

Ranked #90 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Leeds, United Kingdom
“5* staff in a 3* hotel”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

stayed at country house while on a National break. Read some of the previous reviews and was a little unsure of what we'd get but our room was a good sized executive twin, ensuite and clean. Heating wasn't on when we arrived but came on later and was good. Yes it is a little tired in places and if I was paying full price I may have felt a bit disappointed but the deal with National was outstanding. The meals are hot and served buffet style. there's not a great variety but everything is replenished often and well cooked. The 99p bar Mon-Thurs is a bit grotty and lacks any warmth but the hotel bar is comfortable and well decorated. I used the pool several times while i was there (£10 the week) and yes it too needs a bit of TLC but the sauna is great.
Lastly I would like to mention the staff. They all work so hard and everyone we met was helpful, pleasant and polite. Id especially like to name Robyn (aka Boris) in the hotel bar who was charming and Mandy in the health club for a great back massage!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
5* staff in a 3* hotel

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found your room spacious clean and comfortable. I will be delighted to pass on your kind comments to all of our staff.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
fife
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I stayed here in February 2014 at the beginning and end if a holiday.

I found the first room freezing with draughty windows and the decor was in need or a makeover.

the second room looked a bit more modern but the radiator were off when we arrived late at night (in february brrr)

I used the swimming pool which was pleasant enough but again the decor is in dire need of attention. The jacuzzi spa was ace it was roasty toasty and was my highlight.

Room Tip: Cant really offer advice onthis
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Sitting on the fence

I am sorry that there was an issue with the heating in your room.

Im pleased to hear you enjoyed are spa facilities.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Lytham St Annes
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on Sat 21st Dec as a treat for our son who is 11, we arrived to the reception having no booking in our name, the receptionist said he would sort it asap and would we like to wait in the bar. This pleased my hubby as the Liverpool fame was on. After 15 mins the receptionist came over with our keys. Me and our son went up to our room and were more than happy with it. We later went into Manchester and came back around 9ish. We were all tired so soon fell asleep, we were then woken at 3am and the fun started then! The hotel had had a party night and someone had decided to give the room adjoining ours to 3 young men, who decided to invite 4 more to their room for a party. The noise was awful, I rang down to reception and they promised to sort it. After 30 mins I realised no one was coming so I went down myself. I was told security would be up ASAP. By 4am I had seen no one so down I went again, this time security came back with me and sorted it. I'm not boring but cudnt understand why they would put young party animals in an adjoining room to a family. I have since spoke to the hotel and a lovely lady has sorted for us to stay this Saturday night at a reduced cost, so looking forward to that. We have stayed before at this hotel a few times and never had trouble before, in fact we sometimes have had a complimentary upgrade.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that your booking was not in our system on your arrival at the Hotel which caused a delay.

Unfortunately some of our guests can be noisy, we do ask them to quieten down however some guests can be inconsiderate.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, rest assured your comments will be taken on board.

I am delighted that you are coming to visit us again and I do hope you enjoy your stay.

Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We had an overnight stay prior to our flights, booked car parking, very large car park, unfortunately some parts were flooded, but plenty of spaces available. Rooms comfortable, spacious and clean. All staff helpful a and friendly, dinner and breakfast was of good quality with reasonable choices. Easy transport available to the airport. Would definitely use again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2014

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be clean comfortable and the staff efficient.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

bristol
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Thanks to the Britannia Country House Hotel we always look to book our flights out of Manchester these days. For little over £50 we had a comfortable, clean and warm room. All the staff we dealt with were friendly, polite and very pleasant. The Restaurant made us sandwiches and we were able to eat them in the bar so we could use the WiFi. Unbelievably, this price also includes free parking in our case for 9/10 days. And on top of this they were selling lager at £1 a pint on the night we stayed there. Transfers to the airport were fine, both ways.
We always used to travel from London, but the unfriendly impersonal overnight stays there are incomparable to the friendliness of the Manchester staff.
For the price it can't be faulted.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

It is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be clean comfortable and the staff polite and very pleasant.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

We had an early flight to Rome and needed car parking as well .
We got a Groupon deal and can't complain about the cost or the transfer which was very good .
The hotel is what it is , I would nt pay for the buffet meal and we didn't have breakfast but for parking and ease of transfer to the airport ,it was fine .

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2014

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel good value for money.

I look for ward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed overnight before a flight the next day. Staff friendly and helpful, room large, comfortable spotless and modern, bathroom excellent with all the little extras! Food reasonable value for money and good service, bar prices well below average to what we have encountered in other similar hotels.
Yes, areas of the huge car park are flooded, but what can one expect with the atrocious weather we have had ? No problems finding a clear area, transfers to and from the airport are easy to arrange at six pound return per person and were prompt and helpful (all done at reception). I would visit again without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ratzakli28082
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2014

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments. I was pleased to read that you had no difficulty finding a parking space in our car park and the hotel excellent value for money.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.