“Excellent Value.”

Ranked #88 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
bristol
“Excellent Value.”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Thanks to the Britannia Country House Hotel we always look to book our flights out of Manchester these days. For little over £50 we had a comfortable, clean and warm room. All the staff we dealt with were friendly, polite and very pleasant. The Restaurant made us sandwiches and we were able to eat them in the bar so we could use the WiFi. Unbelievably, this price also includes free parking in our case for 9/10 days. And on top of this they were selling lager at £1 a pint on the night we stayed there. Transfers to the airport were fine, both ways.
We always used to travel from London, but the unfriendly impersonal overnight stays there are incomparable to the friendliness of the Manchester staff.
For the price it can't be faulted.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be clean comfortable and the staff polite and very pleasant.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

We had an early flight to Rome and needed car parking as well .
We got a Groupon deal and can't complain about the cost or the transfer which was very good .
The hotel is what it is , I would nt pay for the buffet meal and we didn't have breakfast but for parking and ease of transfer to the airport ,it was fine .

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2014

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel good value for money.

I look for ward to welcoming you back in the future.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed overnight before a flight the next day. Staff friendly and helpful, room large, comfortable spotless and modern, bathroom excellent with all the little extras! Food reasonable value for money and good service, bar prices well below average to what we have encountered in other similar hotels.
Yes, areas of the huge car park are flooded, but what can one expect with the atrocious weather we have had ? No problems finding a clear area, transfers to and from the airport are easy to arrange at six pound return per person and were prompt and helpful (all done at reception). I would visit again without hesitation.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ratzakli28082
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2014

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments. I was pleased to read that you had no difficulty finding a parking space in our car park and the hotel excellent value for money.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Manchester
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed here on NYE 2013/14. As we were checking in, another guest was complaining to staff that there was no wifi. The staff's response to this was that there was wifi but only in the bar area - bare this in mind if you need it in your room!

The room was adequate. We paid for an 'executive' room due to other reviews on here advising people pay the extra. I noted there were very few plug sockets in our room. The bathroom was adequate with a bath with shower over it. The bed was comfy but the pillows were a bit flat and duvet a little thin.

My partner wanted to iron his shirt and so went down to reception to see if there was an iron and ironing board available. He was told they aren't given out to guests but there is an ironing room... He was given directions to said room which was small and consisted of one iron attached to the wall and one ironing board. For a large hotel this is not really adequate.

On our way out into Didsbury for the evening there was an elderly couple waiting for the lift down, one of whom was in a wheelchair. It was clear they were going to the NYE event being held at the hotel. The lift was broken and the lady in the wheelchair was getting very agitated and upset as she thought she wouldn't be able to get down to get to the event. On our way out we told a member of staff there was a lady upset on the 4th floor who needed assistance to get downstairs. The lad almost shrugged and went back behind the desk! When we arrived back at the hotel there was a sign on the lift saying 'Max 2 persons'. For a busy hotel this was not ideal. From speaking to other guests this was apparently not the first time this had happened.

My advice is: if you HAVE to stay here then book an executive room. Pay the extra.

It was ok for one night. If you are having breakfast then go into Didsbury as it has lots of little cafes and bars that do lovely breakfasts and brunch. I don't think I'd trust the hotel!

Room Tip: Pay extra for an executive room.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Unfortunately we do not have an iron and ironing board in each room, we do have an ironing room on the 2nd floor for guests to use.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My stay at this hotel was a joke.

On arrival, I had to search for a space in the dark unlit car park as half of it was flooded.

Check-in was a joke. Two receptionists but only one was dealing with clients check-in whilst the other faffed around complaining she was losing the will to live. When I finally got to see someone at reception, he could not find my booking through lastminute.com. I was told to take a seat and he would call them for me. 30 mins later I went back to the desk where he admitted that he had forgotten all about me and became busy checking in other guests!!!

After that great piece of customer service I went to my room.

It was the smallest room I have ever seen in a commercial hotel. Which is saying something given the amount of travel I do in my professional life.

The room decor was dated and old. I came in to find it freezing cold and had to turn on a radiator which then started rattling.

There was a small single bed with holes in the sheets, mysterious brown marks and one pillow which may as well not have been there.

From the bathroom a trickling water noise was coming from the toilet which would not stop.

The lock on the door would not work. Which is a big no-no for me as I was a single woman on my own in an isolated part of the hotel.

At first I thought it's only one night and it was the cheapest room in the area. But noise from the corridor and nearby stairs had me walk out of the hotel after only 2 hrs.

I would definitely not recommend staying here no matter how cheap the room. For the same price I could've stayed in a Premier Inn with higher cleanliness standards and bigger rooms.

Highly disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014

Our car park is fully lit in all areas and has over 600 spaces, unfortunately due to adverse weather conditions one small area of the car park has become flooded however there are plenty of spaces available for guests to park away from this area.

I am sorry for the issues you experienced on check in and I have passed your comments on to my Reception Manager to ensure this does not happen again.

Some of our standard rooms are small, however it is possible to upgrade to an executive room at our reception.

Each of our bedroom door locks are checked on a daily basis by our housekeeping staff, and I can confirm that a guest would never be allocated a room with a broken door lock.

I do wish that you had spoken to our reception staff or duty manager as you could have been moved to another room to ensure you had an enjoyable stay.

Thank you for your constructive criticism; rest assured your comments will be taken on board.

Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I were attending a function at the Golf Club over the road as we were last year. This hotel is ideally placed.

Just like last year Reception is poor. Not efficient. Check in is between 2pm and 3pm Why are there only 2 staff on at this busy time. The queue to check in was out of the door!!

Last time the room was great and made up for the reception. I think the hotel has reassigned some of the storage space as rooms. We had one. The room was 7ft x 10ft.!!! This was called a double room. A 3/4 bed was in this room. No space to put your bag on the floor!!

We returned after the function and went to bed. After a sleepless night decided to go home to Rochdale, 30 miles away, which is why we stayed over in the first place. We left at 6:30 am.
Total waste of money.

The room although small was fairly clean and the bathroom OK. No plug in the bath though. So a shower only. I mentioned to reception that there was no plug. The response was some rooms don't have one!!!

Stay here if you are used to camping or youth hostelling, but not if you expect 4*.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Our check in time is from 2.00pm, unfortunately we have no way on knowing what time our guests will check in and if lots of guests arrive at the same time there can be a queue and for this I apologise.

You were allocated a standard double room which would have been the room type that was booked and I am sorry that you felt that the room was small, it is possible to upgrade to an executive room which is a larger room, I do think that when you stayed with us last you your must have been given a complimentary upgrade to an executive room.

Should you wish to stay with us again please contact me at the hotel directly to enable me to arrange your booking for you to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Very congested, room decor is very poor..Poor Cleanliness..Cleaned room was full of dirt on the carpet. No Double glazing in the bathroom creating very cold environment. ... Similar price you can get a lot better in the area...

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you felt the room décor and cleanliness were poor. We do not have any rooms in the hotel that have single glazing, all of our bedrooms and bathrooms are double glazed.

I do wish that you had contacted our reception to enable us to sort out any issues you experienced immediately as an alternative room could have been arranged for you.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind regards,