“Stayed last year as well, will not be back”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My wife and I were attending a function at the Golf Club over the road as we were last year. This hotel is ideally placed.

Just like last year Reception is poor. Not efficient. Check in is between 2pm and 3pm Why are there only 2 staff on at this busy time. The queue to check in was out of the door!!

Last time the room was great and made up for the reception. I think the hotel has reassigned some of the storage space as rooms. We had one. The room was 7ft x 10ft.!!! This was called a double room. A 3/4 bed was in this room. No space to put your bag on the floor!!

We returned after the function and went to bed. After a sleepless night decided to go home to Rochdale, 30 miles away, which is why we stayed over in the first place. We left at 6:30 am.
Total waste of money.

The room although small was fairly clean and the bathroom OK. No plug in the bath though. So a shower only. I mentioned to reception that there was no plug. The response was some rooms don't have one!!!

Stay here if you are used to camping or youth hostelling, but not if you expect 4*.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Our check in time is from 2.00pm, unfortunately we have no way on knowing what time our guests will check in and if lots of guests arrive at the same time there can be a queue and for this I apologise.

You were allocated a standard double room which would have been the room type that was booked and I am sorry that you felt that the room was small, it is possible to upgrade to an executive room which is a larger room, I do think that when you stayed with us last you your must have been given a complimentary upgrade to an executive room.

Should you wish to stay with us again please contact me at the hotel directly to enable me to arrange your booking for you to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

There are newer reviews for Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Very congested, room decor is very poor..Poor Cleanliness..Cleaned room was full of dirt on the carpet. No Double glazing in the bathroom creating very cold environment. ... Similar price you can get a lot better in the area...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2014

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you felt the room décor and cleanliness were poor. We do not have any rooms in the hotel that have single glazing, all of our bedrooms and bathrooms are double glazed.

I do wish that you had contacted our reception to enable us to sort out any issues you experienced immediately as an alternative room could have been arranged for you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 9, 2014

3rd time staying because of its location purely, but gets worse every time!! Rooms are small, basic and not worth the money. So called family room but you can't swing a cat. Tv prehistoric, reception staff ignorant, beds just dreadful!!! Wasn't even a double and pillows rock hard, none of us slept all night. Would rather drive home then stay there again!!! 70 quid and no brekkie, wasn't even offered to us!! Don't go it truly isn't worth it.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank jillboot

I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay. Our family rooms are larger that our double rooms and I am sorry that you felt your room was too small. It is possible to upgrade to an executive room for a small cost at reception. As you are a regular guest I would be grateful if you would contact me at the hotel to enable me to arrange your booking for you on your next stay with us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

This stay was to be an enjoyable stop over before a flight out from Manchester airport .
Staff were pleasant enough but the room was cramped and had an odour that wasn't very pleasing.
My car was parked on the area out front for the seven days of our vacation.
The food on offer was plentiful but not of great quality for the price.
The drop off and collect taxi service worked well at an extra cost to the room but was prompt and at the end of our holiday the taxi was waiting in the airport vicinity
and duly collected us and dropped us off to a damaged vehicle !! Not happy.
After a conversation with reception I was told parking was at my own risk therefore I will not be staying at this hotel again.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that you felt that your room was cramped. Our standard rooms are smaller then our executive rooms and it is possible to upgrade to a larger executive room at our reception.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with our transfer service and found it to be prompt.

Kind regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here before an early morning flight to Venice last weekend.

The hotel is very cheap, which is a major plus.

The Carpark was half flooded so spaces were scarce and I had to park on a verge whilst I was away for 3 days which I wasn't too keen on. Check in was good .

The major negatives were the resteraunts , with an awful looking carvery and a poor pizzaria.

Our room was nice with a spa bath we were not expecting, however we were above the entrance to the hotel which was VERY noisy due to a wedding party making a lot of noise outside until 1am, which was a pain as we were up for out flight at 3:30, it is also worth noting our wake up call was 20mins late so do not trust this service .

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Adamswfc

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We have in excess of 600 parking spaces at the hotel, there would be no need to park on a verge as we have lots of spaces around the car park for guests to use.

I was please to read that you found the hotel good value for money and your room nice with a spa bath.

Unfortunately some of our guests can be inconsiderate of other guests and for this I apologise,

Reviewed February 6, 2014

I have stopped here before and thought it shocking, but it gets an extra star this time, as they seem to have done a lot of decorating and provided internet in some of the rooms.

Check in was slow but effective. Checking out bizarre - they could not produce a VAT receipt, and had to email it to me. The restaurant could not provide a VAT receipt at all.

The hotel is surrounded by huge airport parking lot, the once extensive gardens. Most of the customers seem to be package flight passengers or construction workers, and reception can be busy at any time of night.

The restaurants are a pizza place and a buffet, not unlike a canteen. The food is good but there is something of a holiday camp feeling. The rather good Indian restaurant has been closed. Breakfast was a conventional buffet, with better than average bacon and sausages but served cold.

This is not a business hotel by any stretch of the imagination. But it is certainly far better than 3 years ago.

Room Tip: Try and get a 4-poster room, or ask for one with Internet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Unfortunately our restaurant cannot give you a VAT receipt however they post all charges to your main bill and a VAT receipt can be given at reception.

We do have an ongoing decorating programme at the hotel as we are a very busy hotel however it does take time as we have 255 bedrooms, function rooms and restaurants.

We do have a wide variety of guests, coach tours stay and fly guests, private guests and business travellers and I was pleased to read that you felt that the hotel has improved since your previous stay with us.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Reviewed February 5, 2014

we stayed here for one night prior to an early morning flight,and can only comment on what we found,the booking in was efficient and staff friendly,the room was basic but clean and the meal which was pre booked perfectly acceptable we had booked an extra nights stay and were given a family room which had jut been decorated! all in all a very pleasant experience for the price and would certainly use again

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel which I will pass on to all of the staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor for other potential guests to read.