“stayed for one night”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed here the one night, thankfully managed to park, realised people leave their cars here while they fly/stay. Check in was quick and easy and we were pleasantly surprised at out room, two double beds and nice clean bathroom with plenty of toiletries and nice clean white towels. Our room was at the front of the hotel and was quite noisy with coaches pulling up, also there was a wedding at the time, but that was just unlucky on our part. The worst part for us, was the restaurant especially the evening meal. The chef? or chap serving the food, playing on his mobile phone with his blue gloves on, also rubbing his face, including his nose with the gloves on, then serving people food, absolutely disgusting. Food also very poor with little choice. Waited over three minutes to be served at the restaurant bar while the bar staff chatted, totally unprofessional. The breakfast next morning was much better but looked like the food had been sitting under the heat lamps for at least an hour, again disappointing. Dont think I will be back here to eat. What a shame

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia country house hotel, although you did have some issues, overall, you did enjoy your stay with us and you found your room to be clean and comfortable.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, rest assured I will deal with all staff members mentioned in your complaint, your comments will be taken on board .

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Service at check in was fine and the room tidy, however the wifi didn't work - this meant I had to use the business centre. Not the end of the world but irritating. Old school TV and faulty remote. Room service quick but very average. I've eaten worse though!

Bathroom and bed both fine and check out service was quick - breakfast was plentiful but the bacon barely cooked. Yuk.

I would return but would only recommend for a quick stay - for that it's fine!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do have wifi in our reception area, unfortunately we do not have wifi in our bedrooms and I am sorry that you were disappointed by this.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

After reading previous reviews on trip advisor i was more than concerned about my stay ! However once we arrived i was more than happy, we found plenty of place to park, the hotel staff were more than helpful and the room looked clean and newly decorated.
We made full use of the spa facilites and enjoyed a drink in the bar. The food was ok but you cant expect a la cart for the price we paid. We would definitely go back !!
What made it even better was having breakfast with 'Shane Lynch form Boyzone'

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be clean comfortable and the staff efficient.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I booked this purely on the basis we could leave our car at the hotel whilst we went away for 19 days so it was a good price and we were close to the airport...on reflection i wish i had chosen one of the others i had a choice of (some which were cheaper). On arrival at the hotel we had a hard job to find a space to park as there was a function on at the hotel. Check in was easy but when we got to our room i was so disappointed...the bunk beds in the corner of the room were off putting as we only wanted a double room, not a family room. There was no wifi as advertised and when i did ask for a password for it i was told it was only available in ground floor rooms even though i couldnt even get a phone signal in the foyer or bar area. We went to the restaurant before it opened to browse the menu and it was the most bizarre carvery ever as it included chicken curry and other random dishes or pizza. We decided to leave and walk around the area to find somewhere to eat and after walking round West didsbury we eventually found a Wetherspoons called Greenfinch.....this is a short cab ride away or a 20 minute walk and well worth going to....cheap too and good food. I got up early in the morning to move car as i didnt want it parked under trees for 3 weeks. Slept ok but room was tired and not the cleanest, lots of dirty marks on walls and lights etc....am not that fussy so if it bothers me about the cleanliness i am sure it will offend many. On checking out and arranging transfer at front desk i was standing behind a couple who had been waiting nearly an hour for his taxi and it hadnt been ordered, as i overheard this i wanted to know if we just had to stand outside or whether the taxi driver would have my name, the answer i received was that it would be a mini bus and i asked another 2 or 3 times whether they would have my name and i didnt get an answer so we waited outside for a minibus and a taxi turned up for us. The cab driver was fab as was the one who collected us, I am glad i didnt have to have anything to do with the hotel on collecting the car and i certainly wont be recommending it to anybody else. The taxi driver who took us to the airport gave us suggestions as to where to stay next time as we were so disappointed.

Room Tip: Apparently only ground floor rooms have Wi Fi but i doubt it
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

We have parking for over 600 cars and at peak times the car park can be extremely busy and I am sorry that you found it difficult to find a parking space.

We do have wifi in our reception and residents bar area as advertised however we do not offer wifi in our bedrooms.

Our restaurant offers a hot and cold buffet and not a traditional carvery, we also have a pizzeria restaurant which has steaks, pasta etc.

I am sorry that cleanliness of your room was not up to our usual high standards and I have passed your comments on to my head housekeeper to ensure all the issues are rectified immediately. I do wish that you had spoken to our reception staff during your stay and an alternative room could have been given to you to make your stay more enjoyable.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

During a one night stay for what was supposed to be a special occasion, I later returned to my room to find the window had been smashed & all of my personal belonging stolen including my car keys and car. Worst night of my life. There is no security, the police had to wait around for someone to be called in to view the CCTV. The hotel staff were sympathetic but the management didn't even contact me to apologise or offer me a refund for the room I was able to sleep in.
After reading reviews on here I've realised that this is not the first incident involving peoples belongings being stolen, many cars have been broken into.
Car park is huge and yet hardly any spaces at all. Rooms aren't great in size, and if you have do stay avoid the ground floor.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank CharleneCanipa
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

I do understand how upset you must have been and as soon as this was reported to us the police were called. Unfortunately we only have a limited number of staff that have access to our CCTV system, a member of staff was called immediately to come into the hotel to assist the police.

I as the Hotel Supervisor have contacted you by letter on the 11th October and offered my most sincere apologies to you, I have also spoken to you via the telephone regarding this matter.

Kind Regards

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Whatever reviewers say about this place it does a job by providing reasonable overnight accommodation with meals and drinks with car parking at a very low price. I don't know where you can match it elsewhere in Manchester. Yes, it has flaws and if I had to pay twice the price that I did pay then I would be twice as critical. My wife and I had DB&B deal for two nights for £116. Drinks were on top after one 'inclusive' bottle of wine and another that was 'complimentary'!! The breakfast buffet was fine - fruit, yogurt, good bacon, excellent sausages, good coffee. The dinner buffet comprised good basic ingredients even though choice was very limited and much of it had been kept hot for far too long. Most of the staff that I met in the bar and restaurant - Robin, Sean, Susan and others were extremely pleasant - but the guy who checked us in needs some training in customer relations. As for state of cleanliness, our room could have done with a deep clean but it wasn't what I would call dirty. The hotel itself is spacious and must have been very grand in it's earlier days. It will never become your holiday hotel and you'll have a little grumble when you stay, But all in all it will give you good value if you keep your expectations in line with what it is - a basic standard hotel for the budget traveler.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel we do try to offer good value for money to all of our guests and I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

The car park is very full at all times and a bit haphazard to find a place.
Reception is very basic with no greeting and hardly a welcoming smile but heyho, this was a deal and we're just glad to arrive after such a long motorway journey from the south coast.
Our room, 485, was as far away as it could be but large and had all the basics, it wasn't very clean with a cute little ball of fluff by the mirror in the bathroom. Why not put out a bath mat and save the notice about not slipping on a wet floor?
I'd forgotten what 'boinging' bed springs sounded like, so thanks for that! The heating didn't work and the spare blanket had been well used!
The dining room contained more wrought iron railings than Kew Gardens and was a bit dark and dated. There was a reasonable range of food at the buffet, much better on Saturday than Friday and had enough for our veggie family members.
There was a large reunion going on during our visit and I think that as long as these parties keep coming this place won't feel the need to improve, some people we met have been coming for 20 years, they don't think much of the place but want to see their old friends. It also seems to cater for airport transfers and stays.
It suited us as it was cheap and some bits were cheerful, the restaurant managers that we came across more than made up for their very sullen colleagues on reception, but I think that there must be lots of other places that I could stay with doing a bit more homework in such a large and vibrant place as Manchester, so I won't be going back to see if the window safety catch has been fixed or whether the reception staff have been on a course to wish visitors a safe journey home and hope they return; we won't!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

It is always good to receive constructive criticism as this enables us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.