“Better than expected... but I hadn't expected much”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #88 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
“Better than expected... but I hadn't expected much”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night on a Groupon deal, which included b&b, 8 days parking, complimentary bottle of wine with dinner (which we forgot to redeem) and transport to and from the airport. After reading the reviews on here, I worried that the 50 quid deal was perhaps not such a good deal! We arrived mid afternoon and fortunately check in was without incident. Our room was ground floor and very small, with an ancient TV squashed into the corner. Remote control had no batteries but not really a problem as I could switch channels with my big toe whilst laying on the bed. The bathroom was compact but adequate for an overnight stay. Room was clean. We paid in advance for the evening dinner, £7.50 each for 3 courses, which was good value. Free coffee and tea was provided after though we only stumbled across this as we meandered our way into an adjoining room. The following morning, breakfast was OK, but check out was performed by a disinterested tattooed lad whose customer service skills would benefit from some extra training. I was impressed with the taxi shuttle service to the airport, which we shared with another couple. Upon our return after our holiday, the booking of our taxi went smoothly and I was relieved to find my car still parked and unscathed in the intensely packed hotel car park. On balance, the hotel was better than expected, but I would only stay here again if the deal was similar to that I had via Groupon.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do have some great deals on Groupon and I was pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Our reception manager is retraining members of our reception team to ensure an improvement in customer service on our reception desk.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (572)
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed at the Britannia country hotel getting ready for our trip to Turkey the hotel is in very nice grounds the car parking is a bit unorganized as you have to drive around looking for a space once in the hotel check in was busy the lifts are scary no room for 2 people with cases plus no doors ?? Booked breakfast 8'50 each not very good value the rooms are very small but clean t v volume did not work would not stay. Again

Room Tip: Use the stairs not the lifts
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay.

Had you spoken to our duty manager the television in your room could have been changed and any issues you had could have been rectified.

Turnberry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 1, 2013

we stayed before flying out for our holiday we were leaving our car there for the 2 weeks no organising of car parking took us a while to find a space. the room was nice. we went for breakfast at 9am the next morning it was terrible everything was hard and looked like it had been there since the night before the eggs were like rubber. I would stay in the hotel again as it was convenient for airport but would not eat there

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be in a convenient location and were happy with your bedroom.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with your breakfast; your comments will be taken on board.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

After being sent in the wrong direction by an ill informed sat nav we found the hotel nestled in amongst a tree lined driveway which was being used as an alternative parking lot for the nearby Airport. Grand reception let down by the external neon signage. Check-in was quick and courteous. Pleasant room on the first floor with spa bath and complementary soaps etc. Old fashioned by todays standards. Swimming pool looked good with charge of £4 and small charge for towel, would normally try out this facility but time restricted. Bed was very firm which may suit some travellers, good linen and clean. May stay again as convenient for Manchester centre.

Room Tip: Quiet Hotel with large spacious bedrooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 2, 2013

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and with us and found the hotel to be in a convenient location.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Booked this hotel very last minute at a cost of £99.50 for two for one night and must say ive stayed at better hotels for a lot less. Check in was 2pm,we arrived at 2:15pm,a party of 7 was infront of us,also two lots of two and there was only one person on the desk,so as you can imagine it took near on half an hour just to check in! Our room was number 48,past were all the laundry seemed to be kept. the room was dated,small but clean and the bathroom was ok,the view from our window was the back of a porta cabin I think so no view what so ever and also still had an old style small tv. The only thing that helped this place was the good buffet breakfast in the morning :-)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Our check in time is from 2.00pm, unfortunately we do not know what time out guests will arrive and at times where lots of guests arrive together then there may be a queue and for this I apologise.

Room 48 is a standard double room, our standard rooms are smaller than our executive room however it is possible to upgrade to an executive room on check in for a small charge.

I was pleased to read that you found your room clean and enjoyed your meals in our restaurant.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Me and my boyfriend decided to stay at this hotel after seeing the Man United V West Brom match. Hotel was easy to find and in a good location but the parking was ridiculous! It was ‘put your car where it will fit’ and hope it doesn’t get broken in to! After finding somewhere we decided to check in where we had to wait over half an hour before we could go up to our room as they could not find our booking.
The first member of staff we saw just stood around looking at our booking reservation I printed off from my email, trying to find it on the system. He did not apologise or keep us informed of what he was doing, he just kept looking at a piece of paper with a very blank look on his face.
After ten minutes or so, he proceeded to ask another member of staff for help and passed us on. This other member of staff then disappeared for a further 25 minutes, without informing us of what was going on. I asked twice for another member of staff to find him as we were getting very impatient, to be told he was contacting the office by a very short and abrupt member of staff that was not helping the situation.
As we were waiting for him there were various other members of public having problems with their checking in and out at the same time as us. When the member of staff dealing with our problem finally arrived, we did not receive an apology or any compensation for having to wait over 30 minutes for them to sort out a problem their end, he just passed us a room key and told us where to find our room.
Finally arriving at our room after all the hassle we had, we walked in to find the condition of the room disgusting. The room was very dated, the bedding had been starched within an inch of its life, I could write my name in the dust on the Tv/Bed stand/ Mirror and I could touch both room walls with my arms stretched out as it was so small. The best part was the bathroom as that was very modern and not as dated as the room itself; however I dread to think what was breeding in the shower based on the scum around its edges, and we only got given one towel to share between us!
We were very unhappy and decided to eat out that night as we could not stay in the room. We ordered a taxi at the front desk which was very quick, and ordered a taxi from ‘Street Cabs’ to get home which I highly recommend as they gave a brilliant, friendly, cheap service.
We checked out at 11am the next day after a very uncomfortable and noisy night sleep thanks to the walls being so thin I actually heard next door sneeze! Very unhappy and tired we decided to get a coffee before setting off on the 4 hour journey home, for which we had to ask fellow residents where to buy as there were no signs to say where we could get hot drinks. When we did find the café, we sat in the bar area and had a coffee - But this was not for long as the chairs we were sitting on were damp, smelly and moulding from lack of care and cleaning, and my coffee cup kept sticking to the dirty table.
We left abruptly after this, vowing to never stay at the hotel again. Good luck if you are planning on staying here!

Room Tip: Stay near Salford instead!
1 Thank MJC6
We do have a large car park at the hotel with over 600 spaces and at times it can be busy and I am sorry that you were unhappy with this.

Our reception staff may not have been able to locate your booking in our system and needed to contact our central reservations office, however this would not have taken 35 minutes to do and I am sorry that you were left for this length of time at reception.

I am sorry that the cleanliness of your bedroom was not up to our usual high standards and I have passed your comments on to our Head Housekeeper to ensure that re training of room attendants takes place immediately.

We do have a coffee lounge in our residents bar area in reception, I do wish that you had spoken to our reception staff as they could have told you where it was as it is jut next to our reception area.

I have checked all of the chairs in our residents bar and can find no chairs that are damp, smelly or mouldy.

Manchester
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on a Groupon deal that included parking. For the money we paid happy with what we got. Not sure it would be the case paying full price. Room nice, although bathroom could do with a lick of paint. Lovely jacuzzi bath, only had 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel between 3 of us, rang to ask for more but no reply. Had the carvery, soup and salad, all very nice. Breakfast as you would expect. Check if you can put drinks on your room tab as we couldn't and had to go to the room for cash and they aren't cheap. Also bizarrely you have to pay for access to the gym and pool, £4 adults, 2 kids, first time I've come across this at a hotel, oh and towel hire too, so take one from your room. Staff all nice and friendly. Would stay again, but only if a good deal.

• Stayed September 2013
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be delighted to pass your comments to all of the staff at the hotel. Spare towels and pillows are kept in the wardrobe and I am sorry that you were not told this by our reception staff. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your positive feedback Trip Advisor.

I look forward to welcoming you back.