“Overnight at the Britania "Country House" Hotel.”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed here this week on a Tuesday night prior to flying out of Manchester airport the following day. Where to start.......firstly dont be fooled into thinking this is some posh, quaint country house hotel. Car parking was a shambles, asked where to park at reception on arrival and was told anywhere I could find free ..... Cars where everywhere, no coordination and not even a reg plate taken so basically anyone can park there if they want !. Eventually parked on some muddy patch near enterance, not looking forward to getting it out again on my return next week. We paid for an evening meal in advance.....big mistake, meal was at best canteen standard and not what I would call restaurant standard by any means.

Hotel room was dated, sort of 1980,s deco and bathroom same. If they hadn't of had tubes of silicone think the bathroom would have fallen apart. On a positive note the staff were friendly a d helpful and room was clean and so was linen and towels, also plenty of hot water.

Would I return ..... No, I would save money and use a premier inn and park at airport.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that's less than 80 degrees plus......ours was red hot and no aircon
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us.

We do have over 600 car parking spaces on our car park, unfortunately we do not have reserved spaces for guests and at times the car park can be extremely busy.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the “hot and cold buffet” that was served in our restaurant; I do wish that you had spoken to a member of our restaurant staff who could have rectified any issues you had at the time of your stay.

I was pleased to read that you found your room to be clean and the staff friendly.

Once again, thank you for your comments; it is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Hotel Supervisor

Write a ReviewReviews (2,760)

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We booked this hotel to stay over night before our flight from manchester airport. We found the hotel easily but it took a little time to find a parking space as the car park was full. We went to check in and were told about a burst water main that had effected some of the rooms. The receptionist said that we would have to move to another hotel 30 mins away but they would pay for a taxi to get us there and back. We explained that this would cause us an inconvenience as we were going to be checking out at 3am to get to the airport, and we had chosen this hotel for closeness. The receptionist was very helpful and put us in 2 twin rooms instead of the 2 doubles we had booked. The rooms were basic but clean, perfect for the one night we were staying. We ate in the Italian restaurant in the hotel, the food was lovely and the waiter who served us was nice, even though he was ran off his feet and appeared to be on his own. Make sure you go to the bar at the back of the hotel (through the restaurant) as its only £1 a pint!! We were told by reception that there was only one bar that we first visited (£3.50 a pint) but some other guests tipped us off about this £1 bar that is still within the hotel.
Overall, i would stay in this hotel again before a flight as it was fairly cheap and close to the airport.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments following your stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

At peak times our car park can become busy and I am sorry that it took a while for you to find a space to park in.

Unfortunately we did have to out book some of our guests and I was pleased to read that we could accommodate you in twin rooms and that this was a more acceptable option that travelling to an alternative hotel.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Stayed in this hotel on several occasions as got a great deal to stay in the executive rooms with evening meal and breakfast.
Room very clean and had a lovely spa bath! Used the swimming pool facilities on our stay and this was also very clean.
Breakfast was all you can eat buffet style which included lots of cereals, cooked breakfast items, toast, tea, coffee, juices etc.
Evening meal was also a buffet style carvery with a selection of meats, veg etc.
All in all my stays at this hotel have been great and I would definitely return in the future!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be clean comfortable.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were visiting family in the area so only wanted somewhere to crash for one night at a cheap price. We didn't use the facilities such as the restaurant or the health club. The bedroom itself was reasonably clean, bit dusty round the edges of the carpet. It also looked recently decorated. The furniture was dated, but the bed was comfortable enough, with extra pillows and a throw if needed in the wardrobe. The bathroom, I have to admit, was a bit grim.The only items that looked like they had been updated since the hotel was built was a new shower curtain, the sink, and the floor. The spa bath it boasted to have needed a good clean at the very least. It was very dated, the shine had long gone off the bath. The surrounding areas in the bathroom were all chipped and it created a very dark bathroom. The toilet and the bath matched in their avocado style and the sink was white of the more modern style. Calling itself a 'country house' is a bit far fetched as the majority of the surrounding area was used as a car park. Considering how large the car park was, we found it difficult to find a space to park and it seemed a lot of people left their cars there when they went on holiday. From our first impressions my partener jokingly called it the 'shining' hotel. However I must admit this hotel does give a similar atmosphere to the hotel in the film 'the shining'. Negative comments aside, it was ok for what we needed (1 night, location). It was easy to find (others have said it was hard to find but I think they had their eyes shut!), it is close to Didsbury for eating, and close to the airport and motorway. If the price was as cheap I would consider staying here again....for one night. (27-35 age, from the Lake District)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank S D
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

I am sorry that the cleanliness of your room was not up to our usual high standards and I have passed your comments on to my Head Housekeeper to ensure this is rectified immediately.

We do have over 600 spaces in our car park and at peak times it can become extremely busy.

Thank you for your constructive criticism as this enables us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Hotel supervisor

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed here with all my work colleagues for the second time. The hotel is ideal just for laying your head down for the night. Our kettle was broke which is the only fault i have of the hotel. The prices cannot be beaten. £18each for a bedfor the night cannot be matched. Hotel is very big. The prices for drinks in the hotel bar are mega though. £7.20 for a vodka and coke which i wouldnt pay. Overall ideal if you just want a bed for the night.

1  Thank GMR41

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be good value for money, although you did have some minor issues with your room you did, overall, enjoy your stay with us.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, rest assured your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed here the night before our flight. Our room was clean, the staff were polite and efficient.
We had a meal in the Pizza Restaurant which was very tasty.
Its not a five star hotel by a long mark but at the price we paid we were very happy.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I booked a triple room for Saturday 7th September as part of a park & fly package. We soon found a suitable place to park and took our cases and bags to check in. We arrived at around 2.30pm and the hotel was reasonably quiet. Checking in was quick and efficient and we were given room 229. I also booked the transfer minibus for 2.30am. It was a bit of a trek to get to the room, and the small lift was an experience (one case and one person at a time). The room was nicely furnished, clean and bright, and a good size with three single beds, a dresser and chair, LCD TV and various lights, as well as tea and coffee. The bathroom looked newly refurbished, and was clean and fully functional. Overall, the room was really good, and away from the noise of the reception area of the hotel.
We walked into Northenden to eat (about a 15 minute walk) and went to the Farmer's Arms, which was excellent value (like a Wetherspoons but better). We returned to much busier hotel around 6pm. A number of parties were being prepared. We showered and changed and went to the bar for a drink. The prices were fairly reasonable and the staff courteous. The parties were in full swing when we went to bed around 9.30pm.
We got up at 2.00am (despite not receiving the alarm call we had asked for - don't rely on that!) and waited in the reception area for our transfer coach. The area was full of now drunken, loud party-going women with no shoes on. I wouldn't have liked a room at the front of the hotel!
The transfer coach arrived on time and dropped us off at the terminal we required at Manchester airport.
Overall, I found our experience a really enjoyable one, and good value for money with the 15 days parking. All the staff I met were friendly and helpful. I would stay again, as long as I got a quiet room away from reception.

Room Tip: Away from reception. Room 229 (triple) was very good.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

I was pleased to read that you found our check in quick and efficient, and your room clean and spacious. The country house hotel is a large hotel and some rooms are further away from reception than others, please contact us directly before your next visit and a quieter room nearer to our reception can be arranged for you.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from our function rooms and other guests at the hotel.

Once again thank you from all the team at the Britannia Country House Hotel.