“Ok for overnight stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #87 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Ok for overnight stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

got a deal 50 pounds for Bed breakfast & dinner, lovely surroundings but hotel probably needs renovation to bring it up to date. Staff at reception are slow to look after you. The dinner is average but breakfast is good.
The hotel is nicely situated near airport & Dewsbury is a lovely place nearby.....15 minutes walk
I would recommend stay for overnight to catch flight

Room Tip: A/C in all rooms are very noisy, upgraded rooms are below average
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel which I will pass on to all of the staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor for other potential guests to read.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

After needing to find a hotel near to family for a quick overnight stop, I came across the Britannia Country House Hotel and as found a deal on one of the hotel comparison websites, decided to go with it.

On arrival, the long sweeping driveway conjurers up an idea of pulling up to an idyllic hotel, however, when coming round the final bend, was surprised to see what looked like a hotel from the Austrian Alps.

Parking is a bit of an issue here, although there is a HUGE amount of space to park, there are hardly any designated parking bays and turns out to be a bit of a free for all and park wherever you can.

After eventually squeezing into a space, we walked into a very open reception area, and was greeted by a member of staff. The service was ok, I wouldnt say outstanding, he got the basics done, got me to sign for the room and told me where to go. Efficient yes, but not very welcoming.

Having to wait an age of the lift to arrive to take us to the 4th floor of the hotel, we stepped into the lift to find alot of the mirrored panels in the lift had been cracked or smashed and not replaced. (Not an ideal start)

Eventually found our room and, well, to be honest wasn't impressed at all. The decor was dated, the sliding doors on the wardrobe were broken, dead flies on the floor, what looked like a bugs remains squashed on the wall and a retro olive coloured bathroom suite. (However, to be fair, we were surprised by the jacuzzi bath that wasn't advertised!).

On returning to the hotel later than night, we discovered the TV remote in the room was either broken (the back was also missing) or wasn't the right remote for the TV. After manually changing the channel (choice of about 8) my gf decided to test out the jacuzzi bath. Instant hot water and the bath was full functional and enjoyable. However, the bathroom gets hot rather quickly and develops into a sauna as the extractor fan isnt really up to the job and you cant open the door whilst using the bathroom in case its sets the hotels fire alarm off and the whole place gets evacuated.

The bed to be fair was comfy and had a decent night sleep, however, I wouldn't return to this hotel and will probably spend a little more money to stay at a Premier Inn or something similar.

Hotel would be relatively nice if it was fully redecorated and brought up to date (inc. bathroom).

If your not fussed about the hotel or the room, but just want a bed, then this will do, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Polish1610
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do have a very large car park which holds over 600 cars and at peak times can be extremely busy and I am sorry that you felt it was like a free for all.

Our Reception manager is carrying out re training with all reception staff at the moment.

Unfortunately there is a small crack in the lift mirror and we are waiting for replacement glass to be fitted.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Been stopping here since April ,good rooms, good facilities ,staff very friendly and helpful especially julie,I would recommend this hotel to anyone working in Manchester it's situated in a good position not far off a main route into Manchester from the south , I will proberbly be stopping here for a good few months.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Mark P
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you find our staff and facilities good and would recommend this hotel to others.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Checked in early as room was ready. Only needed an airport stop over so it was fine for my needs. Room was clean, everything I needed. Only grumbles are there was only one bath towel (there was 2 of us) and there was a door that must have went directly into the next room, could hear every word they said! Which was a little strange.

Ate in the italian got a pizza it was lovely. Good service. Had a drink in the bar again good service.

All in all a good hotel don't know if I'd stay there for a mini break though, was quite noisy with the weddings on and stuff and nothing to do round about would have to travel into the center.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Our check in time is from 2pm however we do our best to allow guests to check in early if the rooms are ready to keep the wait to a minimum.

There are 2 bath towels in a double room, one is put in the bathroom and the other can be located in the wardrobe along with extra pillows.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Booked on the phone in July, for a 1 night stay, and 15 day park in August. Telephoned on the day to check all ok, told to turn up with confirmation number and all would be fine.

Turned up on the day with said confirmation number, only to be told the reservation had been cancelled. Finally got to the bottom of why - it was because the person who took the booking didnt take a credit card to guarantee the booking.

So instead of telephoning me to get this, they cancelled the booking and didn't tell me.

Eventually (after about an hour, and much to the delight of my now crying at 8pm 4 year old) they found us a room, not a family room as booked, so had to make a bed out of the setee.

So lousy experience.

Hotel is tired and in need of a big refurb. Clean, just scruffy and battered. Bar prices as you would expect.

All I can say is avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Ian G
When bookings are made via our central reservation it is company policy to take a credit card to guarantee a booking – I am unsure as to how your booking could have been confirmed without a method of payment being taken. It does seem that as a method of payment had not been given your booking was cancelled.

I was pleased to read that our reception staff were able to locate a room for you, I am sorry that you were unhappy that you were given a room with a sofa bed in it as some of our family rooms have sofa beds and some have bunk beds.

Thank you for your constructive criticism as this enables us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Food, size of room and facilities good and evening entertainment provided.This was spoilt by the constant talking by both the compère and the artists. The bar where the entertainment took place was very hot as there was no air conditioning and it was not possible to open the fire door for ventilation, because it was chained shut.
Our room was above the reception and on the first night we could not sleep because of the continuous noise from people outside the reception doors, even when the windows were closed to prevent cigarette smoke coming in. The windows had to be opened because there was no air conditioning in the room, consequently the room and curtains always smelled of cigarette smoke. When my friend complained about the noise to reception she was told that no one else had complained, however a fellow traveller had already reported the same thing earlier. Staff had made no attempt to remedy the problem.
Worse was yet to happen, on our last evening one of our party had her handbag stolen from the entertainment bar. The evening reception staff were uncooperative, unhelpful, in fact would not allow her to use a hotel phone to call the police as there was a poor mobile phone signal. The evening reception staff showed no concern for her welfare during this distressing time and gave conflicting information about CCTV coverage.
Outsiders were allowed in to use the residents bar and staff were poorly equipped to deal with trouble as there was no on site security.
My recommendation is that staff need urgent training in all areas of customer care, health and safety and security .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank June P
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you felt that the compare and entertainment team talked too much, they do work extremely hard to keep our guests entertained and I will pass your comments on to them.

The air conditioning is switched on in our entertainment room however at times when the weather is very warm the entertainment room can also become warm. We take fire safety extremely seriously and do not have the fire door “chained” shut, the door has a tie on it, however this is a specially designed tie which is permittd to be used on fire doors which do not restrict the opening of the door should there be a need to evacuate the room.

We do have a smoking area at the front of the hotel and I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from other guests, we do ask guests that are smoking outside the hotel to move to the designated smoking area however some guests can be inconsiderate.

We are a hotel and do allow outside guests to drink in our bar area, I am unsure as to what your comment regarding our “bar staff being poorly equipped to deal with trouble and us having no on site security” as there was no trouble at the hotel during your stay, we do have a duty manager on shift 24 hours per day who are fully trained to deal with anything that may happen.

Kind Regards
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

So this is the 4th year in a row I have used this hotel and my first review of it. I only use this hotel prior to my holiday flying out of Manchester airport and the only reason I book here is the price..on average £80 for 1 night stay and 14 nights car parking,in comparison to prices at Manchester airport this is a bargain! The hotel is pretty dated but I've never had any issues with it and it serves the purpose of being able to rest my head and leave my car. All in all if you want cheap car parking for your holiday and somewhere to stay that's close to the airport and offers a transfer then it suits fine,just don't expect luxury.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Bex_doyle
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 9, 2013

I was please to read that you have stayed with us on many occasions and find the hotel convenient and good value for money.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.