“Not all what it seems”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #91 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Food, size of room and facilities good and evening entertainment provided.This was spoilt by the constant talking by both the compère and the artists. The bar where the entertainment took place was very hot as there was no air conditioning and it was not possible to open the fire door for ventilation, because it was chained shut.
Our room was above the reception and on the first night we could not sleep because of the continuous noise from people outside the reception doors, even when the windows were closed to prevent cigarette smoke coming in. The windows had to be opened because there was no air conditioning in the room, consequently the room and curtains always smelled of cigarette smoke. When my friend complained about the noise to reception she was told that no one else had complained, however a fellow traveller had already reported the same thing earlier. Staff had made no attempt to remedy the problem.
Worse was yet to happen, on our last evening one of our party had her handbag stolen from the entertainment bar. The evening reception staff were uncooperative, unhelpful, in fact would not allow her to use a hotel phone to call the police as there was a poor mobile phone signal. The evening reception staff showed no concern for her welfare during this distressing time and gave conflicting information about CCTV coverage.
Outsiders were allowed in to use the residents bar and staff were poorly equipped to deal with trouble as there was no on site security.
My recommendation is that staff need urgent training in all areas of customer care, health and safety and security .

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank June P
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am sorry that you felt that the compare and entertainment team talked too much, they do work extremely hard to keep our guests entertained and I will pass your comments on to them.

The air conditioning is switched on in our entertainment room however at times when the weather is very warm the entertainment room can also become warm. We take fire safety extremely seriously and do not have the fire door “chained” shut, the door has a tie on it, however this is a specially designed tie which is permittd to be used on fire doors which do not restrict the opening of the door should there be a need to evacuate the room.

We do have a smoking area at the front of the hotel and I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise from other guests, we do ask guests that are smoking outside the hotel to move to the designated smoking area however some guests can be inconsiderate.

We are a hotel and do allow outside guests to drink in our bar area, I am unsure as to what your comment regarding our “bar staff being poorly equipped to deal with trouble and us having no on site security” as there was no trouble at the hotel during your stay, we do have a duty manager on shift 24 hours per day who are fully trained to deal with anything that may happen.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

So this is the 4th year in a row I have used this hotel and my first review of it. I only use this hotel prior to my holiday flying out of Manchester airport and the only reason I book here is the price..on average £80 for 1 night stay and 14 nights car parking,in comparison to prices at Manchester airport this is a bargain! The hotel is pretty dated but I've never had any issues with it and it serves the purpose of being able to rest my head and leave my car. All in all if you want cheap car parking for your holiday and somewhere to stay that's close to the airport and offers a transfer then it suits fine,just don't expect luxury.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Bex_doyle
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

I was please to read that you have stayed with us on many occasions and find the hotel convenient and good value for money.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Booked hotel prior to going to Manchester Airport for holidays. On strength of external photo of hotel. The hotel looks ok on the outside.... The hotel is out of the 1970,s in designs once you enter very old fashioned and not very welcoming. Staff were friendly on check in rooms were very poor in when compared to well any cheap national chain. TV did not work, beds and furniture all very tired. However room basically clean to be fair.
Main disappointment was car parking in no way secure no obvious camera anywhere plenty of hotel posters to say car parked nothing to do with them!
Luckily read trip advisor prior to taking my brand new Jag to park there took the wife's older car instead. Still worried about leaving it there.
Very poor overall would really struggle to recomend especially if you are using to park prior to holidays. Just as secure leaving it on a street somewhere. The airport shuttle is extra but regular.
First bad review I have put on the site not a serial complainer normally but book this and regret I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Find a room in another hotel would be my advice
2  Thank Silversonyman

I am sorry that you felt that the hotel was old fashioned, not very welcoming and that the rooms were poor.

We do not have secure parking nor to we advertise secure parking however we do have CCTV is many areas of our car park.

We have over 600 spaces in our car park and are very popular with guests that are flying from Manchester Airport and I am sorry that you would not recommend us to others.

It is always good to receive constructive criticism to enable us to improve our standards to ensure our guests have an enjoyable stay.

Hotel supervisor

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Without doubt, this was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in no way is it a country house spa hotel. It is a hot shabby hot shed to house people overnight who are using the Airport.....and they charge you £4 to use the spa to boot! The hotel is hot, everywhere, so expect to be sweating over your school dinner meal in the restaurant and as to try to catch a few hours sleep at night. Didn't get to use the spa, wasn't just the cost but my wife was so disappointed (in tears) with the place that we almost jacked the whole thing in to spend the night with her parents 30 miles down the road....would've but I had an early flight the next morning. I work abroad and would not be home again for several months and this was supposed to be a relaxing treat before I left; it was anything but that. This is in fact transport cafe for airline passengers and should be advertised as such (the huge sign advertising nightly bingo in reception was the the first warning sign!). Our room was scruffy, cramped and stained. The one bright spot was that we were allowed to upgrade our meal allowance to the pizza restaurant (and it says something when you are upgrading to a pizza!!!) where the staff were very helpful and friendly. The breakfast was ok too. Will NEVER be staying there again!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
1  Thank T_B_Dunne

I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with the hotel and the food that was served in our restaurant.

We have lots of different types of guests that stay with us, we have guests that are staying the evening before a flight, we also have lots of coach groups that stay with us, we do receive lots of compliments from our guests and have guests that return to stay with us time and time again, and I am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

I do wish that you had brought any issues to our attention during your stay to enable us to rectify them to make your stay more enjoyable.

Our Jenny’s restaurant offers a hot and cold buffet dinner, our Pizzeria Restaurant offers a variety of food from steaks, pasta dishes, burgers of course Pizzas. Our Pizzeria restaurant is an alternative restaurant not an upgraded restaurant.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Beautiful surroundings with imposing buildings, but when you get inside the horror begins. We had booked four doubles to get a nights sleep after a wonderful wedding reception about two and a half miles away. We booked in between the service and the reception, late afternoon. A young male was on reception. We immediately got the distinct impression that he did not want to be there. Customer service skills were obviously not in his portfolio. Everything he did looked like you had asked him to do something horrendous. No smile. No polite engagement.
Now to the rooms. As I say, we had booked four, which we expected to be similar. Nothing could be further from the truth. At the top end was what appeared to be an executive room, at the bottom end was mine and my wife's. Our room was at the lower ground level. It smelt. It was poky. There was a kind of mini courtyard outside, then windows to a public area with people walking about. No privacy. No net curtains. No curtain or blind at all in the bathroom. In full view of the general public. We had asked for a smoking bedroom, as Britannia Hotels have some, although this was not one of those. Having said that, I am sure if it had been, it would have smelt cleaner!
The only saving grace, if there is one, was Jane, the manager of the housekeeping department. My wife left her satnav behind in a draw. I phoned the hotel, and Jane took my number. She went and found it, phoned me back, and when I went to collect it, she attended to me personally, nothing was too much trouble, and she was very polite indeed. Maybe she should give that miserable young male on reception some lessons in how to treat customers.

1  Thank timbone51

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the staff member on reception that checked you in, your comments have been noted and retraining is already taking place.

Some of our standard rooms are quite small however we do not have rooms that have clear glass that over look public areas, all of the rooms of this type have frosted glass.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Going on holiday soon, stayed at this hotel with parking on a b&b board. Staff,room and service was very good and being able to leave the car was really good. Overall cast was only £12 more than off airport parking. This hotel runs a 24 hour shuttle to Manchester airport only down side is that you have to pay for this but was still worth it.

Room Tip: Keep checking, prices change as with any hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank derekmilne

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the cost to be good value.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights staff very friendly food good nice friendly atmosphere for the price we paid totally recommended !!!
There where coach parties in but this just seemed to increase the atmosphere Why waste money great value good food very good staff wot more could u ask

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel. It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always good to receive positive comments. Once again thank you from all the team at Britannia Country House Hotel.