“Looks good from the outside but AVOID!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #87 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Paisley, United Kingdom
“Looks good from the outside but AVOID!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I don't know if I can put into words just how poor this hotel was. The walls were paper thin. I could overhear the conversation coming from the next room and they folks weren't even talking that loudly. I was woken one morning to the sound of the guy in the room upstairs in the toilet....more » Not pleasant! You can hear every word, doors opening and closing so if you're looking for a quiet hotel this is more definitely not the place to book. Also you do not get an iron in your room. You have to take your clothes to an ironing room along with everybody else. Is it really too much to ask to be able to iron in your own room??????? The reception staff barely crack a smile and are not v helpful at all. Now for the food.......I wouldn't even call it a restaurant cause its seriously below par. It was a carvery dinner with no labels as to what each dish was supposed to be. The meat was disgusting, the chicken was dry and overcooked and even the sauce could do nothing to hide that fact. If you want a decent dinner then go elsewhere!

Room Tip: My top tip would be to avoid this hotel. Even a hostel would be better than this so called hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused during your stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

Unfortunately we do not provide irons in our bedrooms and I am sorry that you were upset by this.

I am sorry that you were unhappy with the food in our Restaurant . Our staff are on hand for guests to speak to should they require any information in relation to what food is being served.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

This a great, decently-priced hotel for a budget stay and I can honestly say I was very happy with what I got for the price I paid. The double room we had was very small but functional, well-equipped. Breakfast was cheaper when pre-booked and there was plenty of choice: continental, cooked and very friendly staff serving.

I really enjoyed my stay and I do feel that a lot of the reviewers here have been a bit uncharitable with their comments. Having said this, there was one thing that really let the hotel down - and it could be easily fixed. The room and bathroom were cleaned only superficially e.g. coffee stained saucers in the bedroom; and the bathroom floor, though generally clean, was littered in corners with discarded cotton buds, hair and bits of toilet paper.The sink was not properly cleaned either. While I could overlook this, the main problem was the limescale on the showerhead which can be a health and safety hazard and really should be inspected as a matter of priority.

Other than that, we were very impressed with the staff who could not have been more friendly and accommodating - they helped us out on a couple of occasions with requests.

The hotel itself is in a nice setting and is quite attractive with a nicely designed restaurant, bar area and health suite which you can pay to use. If you are part of a group I imagine its an especially good fun place to stay.

All in all think it was fair enough for the price and we really enjoyed our stay. We would like to see this hotel succeed as it has been a good and reliable venue over the years.

Room Tip: We were on an upper floor at the back on a corridor of 4 rooms which, I think, was quieter so we did...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mermaid109
I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the hotel to be good value for money.

Our shower heads are cleaned regularly and I have passed your comments on to our head housekeeper to ensure that each and every showerhead is cleaned to the correct high standard.

Unfortunately it is so easy for people to tell us when things go however it is great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Lovely as you drive in, reception looked pretty impressive. Room tiny and freezing cold. Complained and was moved to another freezing cold room. Complained and was told that if I wanted to pay for another room on another occasion I would get an upgrade 'subject to availability' - no acknowledgment that it was unacceptable that room was so cold - even room service said "it's freezing in here, I would complain" when they brought my food.

• Stayed February 2013
Nr Frome
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was one of those budget hotels that you get near to airports all over the world and remember why people only stay one night in them.

The taxis were all blocking the entrance to the car park trying to pick up passengers outside the main door, which meant the traffic just blocked the road. There was only one person at the reception despite being large queues and staff drinking coffee in the room behind the front desk. I did ask if someone could cone out and help and the polite young man dud go and ask but no one came out. There were a lot of staff around doing nothing. They couldn't find my booking despite having ore booked. The rooms were small very basic and not that clown.

The food was poor. The breakfast was prepared at 6.00 and put out under the hot lights that cooked everything so much that even the serving spoons were too hot to touch. Everything was dried out. The staff were friendly but when i asked a cleaner where breakfast was served she sent me to reception.

It was a large tired building that was very basic.

Thank god you only experience one night in these hotels, seems a cheek to have to pay for the experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed as part of a large group on business. Friend had stayed the night before but was put into single room, thank god they had upgraded us to executive rooms. Very basic rooms but were clean. The whole hotel, though, could do with updating and refreshing. Gym was disappointing as a charge of £4 even though staying at hotel per day. But had a good selection of equipment. Coffee lounge is a bit of a comedy as it is a machine with a couple of pre wrapped pastries rather than the Starbuck/Costa like area you expect.

Room Tip: Get an executive room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am sorry that you feel that the hotel needs updating and refreshing. There is a charge to use our Spindles Health Club and I am sorry that you were unhappy with this.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I chose this hotel as I was looking for a cheap place to stay for just one night. For £34 I had a large room with en-suite and very comfortable bed. Clearly when you go for the budget option you get one of the more dated rooms, the bathroom looked particularly tired with a very leaky shower head (as much water spurted out of the back of it as the front but it was still powerful enough to have a good shower) and odd bits of trim missing from the fittings (also it looked like silicone sealant had been used extensively to prolong the life of the bathroom as much as possible). Apart from dust clogging the ceiling air vent the bathroom was very clean, admirable given its dated nature.
The bedroom was very clean and spacious but the t.v. was an old portable with only around 9 channels available but as I was only there for a night this was not an issue.
The only thing I was a little annoyed about was the noise from the radiator when the heating kicked in at 5 am which sounded like an elephant urinating on a corrugated tin roof, from a great height, for a good 20 minutes! Fortunately I wanted to get up early so it was not as big a problem as it could have been and could probably be fixed by simply being bled.
The reception staff were very efficient and friendly and they arranged my taxi for the next morning without any hitches.
Overall I would say it was a classic case of 'you get what you pay for'. The room was pretty good value and although dated very clean. I'm sure if I had paid more I would have been placed in a suitably upgraded room so I can't really complain at the price.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Analyst99
I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be good value for money, although you did have some minor issues with your room you did, overall, enjoy your stay with us and you found your room to be clean and comfortable.

Thank you for your constructive criticism, rest assured your comments will be taken on board.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 5 days. The rooms were not clean, you could see the dust on the bedside tables and on the tv screen.
The restaurant was terrible. The food was awful and the service was slow. The restaurant was not even busy yet it took over an hour to get the food. My chicken was very dry and the Parma ham was like a hard crisp..........didn't finish it.
In the morning when I wanted a latte it took the waitress 20mins just to find the milk, and when it was eventually given to me some 30mins layer it was cold !!! Quicker to walk to costa in Manchester City Centre!!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank PeteAdkins

I was sorry to read that you were unhappy with the cleanliness of the room that you were allocated and the food that was served in our restaurant.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Yours sincerely