“Dirty, Noisy, Vile staff”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #89 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Marbella, Spain
“Dirty, Noisy, Vile staff”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

They say you get what you pay for, well, we moved the hotel and stayed somewhere cheaper and got a 100% better service, and 100% cleaner rooms.
List of things:
-dirty rooms (vodka bottle tops, torn couches, hair, dust and filth)
-filthy reception, so much dust everywhere
-extremely rude little boy on check in, didnt explain anything about the hotel or our room inclusions, snapped back at me about the transfers, just a vile welcome
-work in progress with no sympathy for guests

I have seen a lot of excuses on this site from the hotels management, but there is no excuse for such a terribly run hotel.
I believe they are only getting by on people paying for nites stays before their holidays. No level of service whatever.
I have stayed in cleaner and better serviced bedsits in India and the rest of asia.
AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Dont stay in this hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I am sorry that you decided not to stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel. I do not understand your comments that the rooms and reception area are dusty and filthy as this is simply not the case, the hotel bedrooms and public areas are cleaned and checked on a daily basis.

I would be grateful if you could contact me at the hotel in order to discuss this further.

Kind Regards

Hotel Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We booked for the 16th of February as a valentines present due to us both working. We arrived at the hotel and first impressions were good, hotel looked clean and tidy from the outside and the reception and bar area looked very grand and cosy. However when making our way to the room the hallways looked very dated and in need of upgrading.

After finding our room and some time trying to get our door to unlock we were greeted by a small dingy room with a strong smell of damp. Immediately it became apparent the smell was coming from large thick damp patches from the window ( photo attached)

Then turning to my right were tea/coffee stains on the wall ( photo attached)

Walking into the bathroom area we were met by excrement on the toilet seat. ( photo attached)

by this point we left the room straight to reception to show the photos and give our grievance, we were given a full refund but wasted much of the day and petrol as we planned to shop in Manchester in the day and have a relaxing meal and drink at night, instead it was a 45 mile drive home and a takeaway !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Firstly I would like to apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused.

I have spoken to our head housekeeper in relation to this room and she has confirmed that the room had been cleaned and that the marks on the toilet were caused by a leak from the ceiling and was not excrement. Once the matter was brought to our attention the room was taken from our allocation list until the leak could be fixed by our maintenance team.

We do have a decorating programme in place and I am sorry that you felt that the hotel looked dated.

Unfortunately we were unable to offer you an alternative room as the hotel was full on this evening

I would like to thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind Regards

Manchester
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Got a terrific deal, Dinner in new indian restaurant, overnight accom in a lovely room with a spa bath, bottle of wine on arrival and brekkie £59 all in. Couldn't fault the value, but wasn't expecting too much. It was amazing. The Spice restaurant is lovely, service excellent and as it was included in our deal we only had the wine to pay for, £6.95 a bottle...unbeleivable! Then next door is the Spice Bar, drinks so reasonably priced 2 dbl gin and tonics £6. Disco and Karioke on Friday nights...had so much fun. Breakfast was lovely served from 7am untill 10.30 and everything fresh. Thank you for a brill time.....Will Deffo be going again.

Room Tip: Residents bar is pricy but the Spice bar(Pub at front of hotel) is excellent value.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel which I will pass on to all of the staff.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for posting your comments on trip advisor for other potential guests to read.

Yorkshire
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed here on Friday night as I had a very early flight on Saturday morning. Having booked online it was cheap and chips, at £30, and having stayed in hundreds of hotels, I can tell you that whilst The Waldorf this place isn't, it sure represents great value.

The roof was absolutely fine, a nice double bed and a huge bath. The bar was friendly and relaxed. I had a reasonable curry at the restaurant too.

For the price I paid this represented wonderful value for money. I've stayed in hotels three times the price that are no better, and this place has a definite "buzz" about it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

It is so easy for people to tell us when things go wrong but it is always great to receive positive comments and I would like to thank you for adding your comments to Trip Advisor for other potential guests to read.

I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff friendly and your bedroom clean and comfortable.

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

stayed for one saturday night,parking was no problem (free),check in was a little slow,due to hotel being very busy,(nice to see hotel doing well),when we were checking in we were told where to go for our evening meals that was included in the price,checkin staff pleasant and helpful.we had four rooms in total and all rooms were very clean,toiletries,tissues and tea/coffee making facilities and lovely fluffy white towels,was pleasantly surprised,as i was not expecting much for the price we paid,All had a lovely meal in the restaurant,again staff very helpful and pleasant,same at breakfast.Nice little bar to sit in,drinks were fine and reasonably priced,beds were comfortable,so we all enjoyed our stay and look forward to going back for a weekend in the near future,i am sure if there is something people are not happy about,they could speak to staff or manager and am sure they would do there best to sort things,many thanks to all at the country house hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and will be delighted to pass your comments to all of the staff at the hotel who do work very hard. Unfortunately at times our reception can become very busy our reception staff do try to check in as quickly as possible to try to keep guests wait to a minimum. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for placing your feedback Trip Advisor.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Let me first say this was my 6 and last time, party of 4 staying in 2 rooms ,ready for early morning 10 hr flight , booking in fine rooms fine we then went for evening meal ,i am disabled and have to use a walking stick ,was told at the restaurant only tabels left in the raised area i explained i had a problem with stairs all i got was a shrug i pointed out that any one coming in a wheel chair would have no chance ,why dont you keep some tabels available on the ground floor again just a shrug, we where given a tabel up the stairs i then asked for the wine menue in the meantime my soup was served ,i was given the wine list and chose to order 2 bottels of wine ,to be told we dont serve you sir you have to go to the bar and buy it yourself i pointed out i was disabled and this would cause me problems again just a shrug it says on the menue our staff will only be to happy to help you with your wine ,some help they just stood and watched me struggel with 2 bottels my walking stick and a set of stairs. after this i had a moan at reception to be told we dont serve anyone with wine in our restaruant,then there was a party on all night no sleep at all ,this will be my last time there,i will take my disability and money some where else who may just care a littel .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank DAVE9146
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that we had no ground floor tables available in our restaurant when you wanted to dine, and that our restaurant staff were not as helpful as they could have been. The suggestion you offered for keeping a couple of tables free on the ground floor will now be put into practice. I have had a meeting with my restaurant manager and Restaurant staff as all of the issues you had should have been dealt with immediately and professionally and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience or upset that this has caused.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Arrived early evening and waded thru' a gang of smokers outside the front door. There was a notice and proscribed place to smoke - smokers ignored it and staff did not enforce it. There was a queue at Reception, but no real problem but staff not enthusiastic and welcoming. Allocated a very good room on second floor - accessible by lift or stairs. Room of very good size, very clean and tidy as was the bathroom which contained a whirlpool bath. Sadly the room was directly over the front door and the smokers.....Closed all windows, so fresh air hence headache in the morning...Had a bath in the whirlpool but did not notice that air- pump inlet valve guard was missing and being a very powerful motor sucked my leg immediately into it. I then had a strong cramp in my left leg - as I am prone to do. So switched the air pump off and thought no more. My wife then had a bath, (I had forgotten to warn her about the air pump - not deliberately !) She suffered the same fate and suffered bruising to her left leg. All this entered in the hotel accident book (+ point) whilst I queued for 15 mins in to be seated for breakfast - lack of staff failing to clear tables quickly. Although there was 45 mins before Breakfast closed the food was very tired and of mediocre quality - the scrambled egg was of the powdered variety, the black pudding was tougher than the leather on my shoes, the canned tomatoes (peeled plum) were non existent - the juice was there, the tea despite extra T bags was like dishwater, etc.. etc. My wife contacted a chef to tell him that the cheese and ham was all curled up and not really edible. The reply was not my problem contact a waiter. Returned to our room via 2 flights of stairs because the lift was not working - sadly because my leg was hurting an important point. We needed a taxi so used the hotel phone to contact the dedicated hotel taxi company - they wanted £14.00 to take us on a journey that actually had cost us £5.70 with another company the night before ! So we called Kingsway 0161 4420642 - great taxi clean and well driven via the shortest route. Overall view of the hotel was that it could be so much better with a little TLC and a few more enthusiastic staff. Maybe value for money for some but not for us !

Room Tip: Do not accept a room over Reception. Avoid staying here if Man Utd are playing at Old Trafford too m...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do have a smoking area at the front of the hotel for guests to use and guests are asked not to smoke directly outside the main reception doors, however some guests can be inconsiderate when asked to move to the correct area and choose to ignore this request.

We have 255 bedrooms and extensive conference and banqueting facilities and at times our reception can be extremely busy.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast which should have been replenished throughout service.