“top dont care hotel”

Ranked #88 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“top dont care hotel”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Let me first say this was my 6 and last time, party of 4 staying in 2 rooms ,ready for early morning 10 hr flight , booking in fine rooms fine we then went for evening meal ,i am disabled and have to use a walking stick ,was told at the restaurant only tabels left in the raised area i explained i had a problem with stairs all i got was a shrug i pointed out that any one coming in a wheel chair would have no chance ,why dont you keep some tabels available on the ground floor again just a shrug, we where given a tabel up the stairs i then asked for the wine menue in the meantime my soup was served ,i was given the wine list and chose to order 2 bottels of wine ,to be told we dont serve you sir you have to go to the bar and buy it yourself i pointed out i was disabled and this would cause me problems again just a shrug it says on the menue our staff will only be to happy to help you with your wine ,some help they just stood and watched me struggel with 2 bottels my walking stick and a set of stairs. after this i had a moan at reception to be told we dont serve anyone with wine in our restaruant,then there was a party on all night no sleep at all ,this will be my last time there,i will take my disability and money some where else who may just care a littel .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank DAVE9146
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I am sorry that we had no ground floor tables available in our restaurant when you wanted to dine, and that our restaurant staff were not as helpful as they could have been. The suggestion you offered for keeping a couple of tables free on the ground floor will now be put into practice. I have had a meeting with my restaurant manager and Restaurant staff as all of the issues you had should have been dealt with immediately and professionally and I would like to offer my most sincere apologies for any inconvenience or upset that this has caused.

Hotel Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Arrived early evening and waded thru' a gang of smokers outside the front door. There was a notice and proscribed place to smoke - smokers ignored it and staff did not enforce it. There was a queue at Reception, but no real problem but staff not enthusiastic and welcoming. Allocated a very good room on second floor - accessible by lift or stairs. Room of very good size, very clean and tidy as was the bathroom which contained a whirlpool bath. Sadly the room was directly over the front door and the smokers.....Closed all windows, so fresh air hence headache in the morning...Had a bath in the whirlpool but did not notice that air- pump inlet valve guard was missing and being a very powerful motor sucked my leg immediately into it. I then had a strong cramp in my left leg - as I am prone to do. So switched the air pump off and thought no more. My wife then had a bath, (I had forgotten to warn her about the air pump - not deliberately !) She suffered the same fate and suffered bruising to her left leg. All this entered in the hotel accident book (+ point) whilst I queued for 15 mins in to be seated for breakfast - lack of staff failing to clear tables quickly. Although there was 45 mins before Breakfast closed the food was very tired and of mediocre quality - the scrambled egg was of the powdered variety, the black pudding was tougher than the leather on my shoes, the canned tomatoes (peeled plum) were non existent - the juice was there, the tea despite extra T bags was like dishwater, etc.. etc. My wife contacted a chef to tell him that the cheese and ham was all curled up and not really edible. The reply was not my problem contact a waiter. Returned to our room via 2 flights of stairs because the lift was not working - sadly because my leg was hurting an important point. We needed a taxi so used the hotel phone to contact the dedicated hotel taxi company - they wanted £14.00 to take us on a journey that actually had cost us £5.70 with another company the night before ! So we called Kingsway 0161 4420642 - great taxi clean and well driven via the shortest route. Overall view of the hotel was that it could be so much better with a little TLC and a few more enthusiastic staff. Maybe value for money for some but not for us !

Room Tip: Do not accept a room over Reception. Avoid staying here if Man Utd are playing at Old Trafford too m...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

We do have a smoking area at the front of the hotel for guests to use and guests are asked not to smoke directly outside the main reception doors, however some guests can be inconsiderate when asked to move to the correct area and choose to ignore this request.

We have 255 bedrooms and extensive conference and banqueting facilities and at times our reception can be extremely busy.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your breakfast which should have been replenished throughout service.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We only stayed for one night as we were flying from Manchester Airport and were able to leave our car for two weeks at a reasonable price. Impressions were good with a pleasant reception area and no problem booking in. We had a nice, quiet bedroom with a king size bed. As we wanted to avoid peak time traffic we arrived about 3.30 pm and didn’t want to sit around the hotel so decided to have a walk to the shops in Didsbury so turned left when we got to the road and walked to the traffic lights, then right to the next set of traffic lights. It took about half an hour but quicker coming back because we realised we could turn down the side of Spice Indian Restaurant which led to the reception area. We found a Wetherspoons pub and had a very healthy meal of steak pudding, chips and peas at a cost of £6.59 for two. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel as we were leaving at 6 am so got something at the airport. The transfer bus ran every 45 minutes and you had to book your time at a cost of £6 each return. We rang on our return and only had to wait a few minutes, but I suppose you could be unlucky and just miss the bus and have a long wait.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your positive comments following your recent stay with us at the Britannia Country House Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with your stay and the felt that we offered good value for money.

We now offer a take away breakfast for our guests who have to be at the airport early.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Country House in the near future.

Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here because it was conveniant for a dinner we were attending in the local Golf Club.
We arrived at 3pm on Saturday afternoon. This was the worst part of our stay. We were in a queue of 10 people waiting to check in. No problem I thought as I counted 6 different reception staff behind the counter. Big mistake only 1 was actually checking people in!!
The others just kept coming and going through the door behind reception carrying sheafs of paper and avoiding the glares of the people waiting in line.
my wife went to the desk and asked to speak to the manager. he told her quite rudely that he was very busy and so was everyone else.
When we finally got to the front of the queue and checked in, after waiting 25 minutes, the receptionist could have been more helpful. He said it was Shift changeover!! At 3pm on a Saturday!!!
We asked for a room with a bath and we were allocated Room 184. This was at the end of a corridor and very quiet.
The room was very clean and quite spacious. The bathroom was clean and had a very deep Jacuzzi bath...luxury.
I agree with previous reviews about the decor in the hallways looking tired. But our room was very well maintained.
As we were attending a dinner we did not make use of the hotel restaurant so no comment there.
I think once you can get past reception this is a good value hotel.

I would certainly stay again but arrive later or earlier than 3pm!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

We have 255 bedrooms and extensive conference and banqueting facilities at the hotel and unfortunately check in can be at times extremely busy. I am sorry that you were upset by the fact that other staff members were on the reception desk but were not checking in, as other members of staff from different departments do have to go on reception from time to time however they would not be able to assist with check in.

Our shift changeover is 3.00pm each day, our check in is from 2.00pm and there is no way for us to know what time each guest will check in. I am sorry that you could not speak to our duty manager immediately I can only imagine that he must have been dealing with another guest at the time.

I was pleased to read that you were happy with the bedroom you were allocated, we do have an ongoing decorating programme at the hotel which does include corridors.

Thank you for your constructive criticism your comments will be taken on board.

Kind regards,

BOSTON
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed for 8 days, nice rooms... The staff was very friendly and helpful.
Beautiful grounds and overall enjoyable.. Good Brittania
10 mins to airport by shuttle makes it great
1 direct bus to downtown Manchester.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2013

We stayed at the Country House Hotel on the weekend of 18-20 January. We've stayed in other Britannia hotels in Manchester and thought they were reasonable, nothing flash, acceptable and not over-pricey. So we thought we'd try the flagship! Friday night was OK. Saturday was like a louder version of Ibiza. The front of the hotel is basically a smoking hang-out - so if you have a room at the front, you can't have your window open. Not that you would anyway, as the noise grows through then ight. When we were there, there were two parties going on, Tesco Xmas Party (in Jan, I know) and a wedding. By 10.30pm, there were a lot of drunks by the entrance. By 11pm, it got very noisy, and by midnight the party spilled out to the front of the hotel. Basically, the hotel lost control. At 1am, a man in the car park started doing impressions of emergency vehicles, in-between shouting, 'DARREN! DARREN!' with a loudspeaker. This went on for 30mins. You can't ring reception from the bedrooms - you have to ring from your mobile. I complained, obviously, at 1.30am. The loudspeaker was then passed around a few drunks, so that was the night pretty much ruined. And the crowd just got rowdier as the night progressed. Cabs were pulling up every two minutes, and arguments went off left, right and centre, one racist, we noted. The noise died down around 4am. Before my 200-mile drive home the following morning, tired out, I spoke to reception. 'The noise was horrendous last night - is that normal?' The woman on reception just shrugged and said, 'Well... yes.' I sent a letter of complaint to Britannia head office in Altrincham. I received a prompt reply saying Country House Hotel would deal with my letter. They haven't. Ergo, you lost my custom. This hotel needs a total re-think. It's lost in the 1970s - its garden installations fall well below charming. Plastic flowers and a toy furry horse. Oh, and the water in the sink wasn't turned on in the downstairs toilets. Well done, Britannia.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here on 29/09/2012 for the weekend.

Good side:
A very convenient location for Manchester.
Bad Side:
Unfortunately the hotel has an old look with old carpets which are not too cleanand very old style bathroom with rubber flooring.
I had an accident in room number 280 after taking the shower when i stepped out of the tub i accidentally hit my knee against the shower door which was totally unprotected without the rubber. Normally the shower door glass has a rubber against it but there was none on this occasion and it was exactly at an angle which is likely to come in contact with your hand or leg. Initially before taking the shower i thought it might be plastic as how can a big name hotel like this would have anything so dangerous. The first night we arrived from London and went straight to the wedding. It was on the second morning when i took the shower before checking out.
I bathed in blood and all the bathroom floor and carpet was full with my blood. We tried calling the reception and doctor through the intercom and number on menu card provided but after trying for 5 minutes there was no answer. I placed the towel tightly against my knee and my wife ran downstairs. Only after 10 minutes the gym trainer and receptionist came. Put bandage and took notes of the accident. I even showed the receptionist the fault in the bathroom who was very polite but he did not say anything to rectify it. However, there was no doctor at all and no body gave me the address fro the hospital. They said calling the ambulance will take time that i should drive or take the cab to the hospital.
I checked out and i wrote an email to the hotel management after a week to return my fees. All i got was an email from Jackie King saying she can not see anything wrong with this. Maybe they did place a rubber now. I guess what she would have to say if it was her own child who had this accident and was left with a scar on his knee.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank wrongwayticket
countryhmanager, Manager at Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments following your stay with us in September 2012.

I have investigated fully the mechanics of how you state the injury occurred and the shower screen itself for signs of any sharp edges and I can find nothing that would cause an injury such as you suffered.

When this issue was reported to us a first aider came straight to your room to offer you assistance, you did request a doctor and unfortunately we do not have a doctor on site.

I can confirm that we do take health and safety extremely seriously at the hotel and follow all of the correct procedures at all times.

Kind Regards