“Perfectly OK”

Britannia Country House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #90 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed November 24, 2007

We were advised by the travel Agent that this was a highly recommended hotel and booked in. After reading some of the comments on Trip advisor afterwards I thought we had made the wrong decision but as it was only for one night we thought that no matter what we could manage. My main concern was what state the car would be in when we returned as reading many of the reviews, returning to damaged cars seemed to be an issue.

However, when we arrived at 8pm we were very pleasantly surpirsed. We had no problem parking and the car park was well lit. We had a look around the car park to see if any cars were damaged as claimed in many reviews but everything appeared to be OK.

The reception staff were friendly and the only problem we had was getting a seat on the 7am shuttle bus as it was full so we needed to book on for the 6am - which meant an hour less in bed but as we were going on holiday we didn't mind - we could sleep on the plane.

We had booked 2 rooms which were both very large and had jacuzzi baths. The beds and towels were clean. We did decide to eat in the hotel rather than go into town because of the time. We had a choice of a carvery - which we didn't have as it looked as though it had dried out - but was probably OK when it had been first put out, or the room service menu - which we chose. It was OK for the money but I have had better food.

Coming back we had a timetable for the bus but as we arrived at the train station at 10.00am and the next bus wasn't due until 10.55am we decided to get a taxi - which cost £12 but was much less hassle than standing around in the cold. (There are no buses between 9:20am and 10:55am - so there were a lot of people waiting)

When we returned to the Hotel the car was still where we left it and there was no damage.

I am not sure if we were lucky with this hotel or not but I would probably stay there again if need be.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank JudyMal
Write a ReviewReviews (2,720)

Reviewed November 17, 2007

THIS IS THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN.

This is a poor excuse for a hotel. I would challenge the proprietor of this hotel to spend one night in a "standard" room. We were given room 216 which was small, old fashioned and dark. This wasn't the worst though. When you opened the room door the smell of smoke, dampness, sweat, and god knows what else mixed with a pungent cheap air freshener hit you like a wall. I really don't know how anyone could stay in it.

We immediately went to reception and asked for a different room. We were told the new room was one of their best. I have to admit it was not the hell hole the first had been and was around 3 times the size but was still unclean, smelly, and dark.

The worrying thing was the room had bunk beds in it so must have been for families. I wouldn't let my dog sleep in those beds let alone my children. We didn't sleep a wink and couldn't get out of the place fast enough. I wished we'd slept in the car.

By the way the "secure car parking" is actually a field with no lighting or security and we later found out that it is known to locals as bin bag city as so many cars are broken into and have their windows covered over with black bin bags. They actually have complimentary signs at reception to put in your car saying "No sat nav on board". The pits!!

2  Thank debsquinn
Reviewed November 16, 2007

I was booked into the Britannia by the lastminute.com hotel booking wicket at the Manchester International Airport. Now I know why the lady at the reservation outlet claimed everywhere else was fully booked and full. No one would voluntarily or knowingly choose Britannia Country House Hotel Manchester.

The hotel is unstrategically located on an off road somewhere between the city and the airport. The facade indicates that it was cobbled together from several adjacent buildings.

Problem number one was highlighted immediately upon arrival. While a parking lot is sold as one of the hotel's features finding an available spot is improbable. Having circled the place several times and grabbed a tight rare spot the sight of many signs warning against theft and vandalism was the first of many worries. Having booked the room an hour earlier at the airport I was rebuked by the girl at the reception for... asking to check in. I apparently had two problems. One was how I had the nerve to check in at noon! Apparently, the lastminute.com employee had forgotten to warn me I cannot enter my room for another three hours having just flown in from across the Atlantic Ocean. The further rude receptionist had more to offer though. She explained to me that my reservation is not in the system and dished further attitude by incredibly noting that reservations take longer than an hour to enter their systems. She apparently is unaware of the speed of electronic transactions or e-mail or computer systems or networks or how the airport lady had telephoned in my reservation! Hilarious. Ignoring her surly attitude I shuffled my suitcase to my room (the lift was out of order) after much waiting.

It was immediately obvious that the carpeting's age matches the building. I could practically see the biscuit crumbs left over by the original Victorian residents. At least, the bathroom seemed renovated. Did that make up for the grimy room? Somehow.

The room needed to be heated, this being November, but that was not the case. The faded carpet, lack of parking spots and snarly receptionist dissuaded me against calling downstairs to complain. Not that there would have been a point. When hours later I called the reception to enquire about the "all rooms have access to Satellite TV channels" advertisement in the room booklet I was met by silence. That is, the reception/office would not answer the telephone. Not kidding folks. Safe to say, that one is restricted to the standard over-the-air channels, which is not a big deal in itself were it not noted otherwise in the room.

The buffet breakfast was a delight after all the other and assorted disappointments, but hardly enough to hide my glee from departing first thing in the morning. £69.95 (+ 10% for the reservation wicket's service) later and a disappointing stay I was off and happier.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank dadada767
Reviewed November 15, 2007

I booked two rooms as a stopover hotel as I was travelling to Egypt. On check in at 11pm, I was not greeted by the male receptionist. Once he had finished typing on the computer, he acknowledged me. We were given our keys and proceeded through a long corridor where there were signs appologising for inconvenience during refurbishment. When I got to my room the door which should have ben white was thick with black dirt. Once inside the flowery bedcovers smelt of damp and the room was covered in dust. The green bathroom suite was very dirty also. My parents room was no better. As it was late I decided to say nothing and wait and see what our rooms would be like on our return trip. After a long flight, we checked in at 11pm. I was given rooms in the newer part of the building and was pleased. The room was sapcious and apart from the flowery decor it was clean and presentable. I even had a jacuzzi bath and a front view. I did not receive the wake up call I had asked for and when I went to reception I found out why. When my parents had checked in to their room, it had not been cleaned so they were given another room and subsequently the wake up calls had been cancelled by the computer. The staff at this hotel are in desperate need of cutomer service training. Cleanliness is also another factor which needs attention. I work as a hotel receptionist and I would cringe sending guests to these rooms and certainly would not ignore guests on arrival.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank AvidTraveller1975
Reviewed November 8, 2007

On entering the hotel grounds there were nine cars which had been broken into. The car park was hectic - we eventually found a space on our seventh time around the grounds. The hotel was grubby and in need of some TLC and a great deal of money spent on it. The staff didn't have a clue - We had pre-booked the dinner and breakfast package which was actually more expensive than paying for the food on site. The food was cold, no potatoes or vag, no plates, no sweet. The hotel tried to charge us again for dinner, The two girls behind the bar were scamming - two tills charging almost a pound in difference for the same two drinks - on the more expensive till the girl wrote on a pad of paper every time she served - to keep the tally of her overcharging! The room had a big jaccuzzi bath with a huge crack in it and the jaccuzzi didn't work. At breakfast the food was again cold and again they tried to charge us, interrupting our breakfast to tell us that we hadn't paid. It took four staff at the door of the restaurant to try and get the money out of us until finally one said she would fix it - to which I replied that she wasn't doing me a favour since I'd already paid and couldn't eat my breakfast for being so upset.
This was truly the worst hotel I've ever visited and I would rather sleep in my car than enter this hotel again. A horrible and stressful way to begin my holiday.

3  Thank buggyboy
Reviewed November 6, 2007

I booked this hotel with parking for 10 nights. When we arrived we had great difficulty finding a parking space. The spaces are very close together, making it difficult to unload cases etc. without touching the vehicle next door. The accommodation was lovely and we enjoyed our night at the hotel before heading for the airport. We had an early start along with many other guests. The coach arrived to transfer the guests, but unfortunately there was not enough room on the coach for everyone and about 10 of us had to wait for taxis. When we arrived back in the UK I telephoned to ask what time the next coach would be and was told that it would be another hour! Having had a 24 hour delay and a 4 hour journey ahead we decided to get a taxi, and this cost almost £12. I would use the hotel again, but not the parking.

2  Thank Lulu046
Reviewed November 2, 2007

stayed on a saturday night with my wife and another couple, on arrival the reception staff were helpfull and reception looked ok, but on arrival in our rooms we were greeted with the smell of damp, carpets held together with tape a cracked bath and 1960s decor. After dropping our bags and heading straight into town for a conference we returned to the hotel after a meal at about 11:30pm to be greeted by chaos, children running wild all over the reception, bar, stairs and lifts, groups of very drunk football fans from old trafford, just basically not a nice experience.
I have decided to post these comments due to the fact that having complained to the hotel group we were just given no joy.
PLEASE SAVE YOURSELF THE EXPERIENCE AND DO NOT BOOK !!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business