“Tasty food, although oily & the toilets were filthy!”

Mughli Charcoal Pit
Ranked #187 of 2,420 Restaurants in Manchester
Cuisines: Indian, Pakistani
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Mughli Restaurant + Charcoal Pit is a family-run restaurant serving home-style Mughlai cuisine since 1991. Recently voted as 'One of Manchester's Best Restaurants' by the Telegraph, the restaurant was also featured on Nigel Slater's show on the BBC and has had visits from sports personalities as well as the Prime Minister himself. The restaurant features a 'Refreshment Room' waiting area and a fully licensed cocktail bar, with the main restaurant set around an open charcoal pit and tandoori clay oven.
Reviewed November 19, 2013

A taxi driver directed us here on a business trip to Manchester. Despite being mid-week, it was really busy- usually a good sign that the food will be good. Staff were friendly & the food was tasty, although most dishes came swimming in a pool of ghee. Something which is really unnecessary & a real turn off for me.

The toilets were grim & filthy. The dining area was very clean though. The taste was different to my local, which is Bengali style. I think this is a Pakistani Indian restaurant. Tasty food, but far too much oil.

Haz A, General Manager at Mughli Charcoal Pit, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

First of all, a sincere thanks for sharing your comments of your recent visit to our Manchester restaurant. Although we're pleased to hear that the you enjoyed the experience overall, we're sorry to have disappointed you with the level of oil in your dishes and the state of the toilets. Although we try our best to make sure they are maintained to a good standard, clearly we had missed the mark on this occasion. I have spoken with the chefs to focus their attention on their dishes and the cleaners and staff to ensure more regular checks are made on the toilets also. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for your otherwise kind words.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We went for a stroll down the Curry mile with the intention of finding a nice place! We weren't disappointed by Mughli, but i was very disappointed by the curry mile. I have been on it so many times before and all it is now is gold shops and takeaways. Anyway back to Mughli, very very tasty stuff. I was unsure of what i wanted for main so the waiter brought me some sauces to help me decide, a very nice touch! I'd definitely recommend here for the food, but beware, the staff can be a bit over attentive, we were asked about 8 or nine times if we were enjoying it from a good few different waiters.

1  Thank rockfist
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I have not visited 'Curry Mile' for a long time as it has lost it's once good reputation as an area for outstanding food and to be honest my opinion of modern Asian cuisine is not that great. My local 'Indian' restaurants all seem to serve very mediocre fare (PINK RICE!) at what I consider to be high prices, so when a friend suggested we try 'a curry' and said he knew a place in Rusholme that was as good as one of our old haunts, the 'Taj Mahal' (many years ago), I was happy to go along, if a little dubious.
Too be honest, I found the Mughli a little too modern and lacking in atmosphere although there was no real problem, just not what I expected I suppose. It was quite early in the evening and the place was not really busy, which was good for me. The staff were very helpful and friendly and seemed genuinely keen to help me understand the various offerings, many of which were new to me.
Coward that I am, and due to the fact that we were in a bit of a rush, I decided on the 'old favorites', Onion Bhajia and Chicken Karahi. The food arrived in good time and I must say it was really nice. The bhajia was fresh, crisp and nicely spiced, whilst the rice was tasty and well flavoured, the chicken moist, tender and quite plentiful with a well balanced, not too hot sauce. Although I didn't pay the bill, my friend said it was reasonable and even the service charge, although a little high I thought, didn't make the meal unduly expensive.
With hindsight, I wish we'd had more time and I'd been a bit more adventurous. Perhaps my experience with dour, run of the mill Asian restaurants and pink rice has dulled my senses. Whatever, next time I'm in Manchester, I'll try to make the time to enjoy the full potential of the Mughli, it seems that the staff and chef's are making an effort in what I must say has become a slightly 'seedy' area of Manchester.

Haz A, General Manager at Mughli Charcoal Pit, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Hi Silvaspoon. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others and pleased to hear that you enjoyed the food and service at our Manchester restaurant - even if only in comparison to 'pink rice' serving establishments!

Just wanted to clarify, as it seems to be a common misunderstanding, but no service charge is ever applied to tables of 6 or less. The 'extras' part of your bill (found in between the 'meal' and 'total') refers to any additional food, drinks or papadums and dips you may have ordered.

If you're ever in the neighbourhood again, please do pop in and say hi. If it's not too busy, I would be more than happy to re-introduce you to Rusholme and hopefully convince you that it's not as seedy as you may think, and if you fancy something a little more adventurous from our menu, I would be more than happy to guide you.

Certainly hope to welcome you again soon. Until then, best wishes from myself and the rest of the team.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We booked a table for our anniversary dinner as my wife likes Indian food and traveled 60 miles but we were denied a table because they said we were late. We had even called the restaurant to make them aware that we would be slightly late (stuck on M6) and inspite of letting them know how far we had traveled to get here they simply refused us any table and weren't bothered.
ended up at Akbars where the staff was very good and the food was great. Never even thinking of going to these rude people again.Its a restaurant for God's sake not a theory test that you would be denied entry if you arrive a few minutes late. disgusting...

2  Thank vipjin81

To clarify, your reservation had been made for 5.45pm (our cut-off time for Earlybird tables) and although your wife had called en route to advise that you would be a few minutes late, we too had advised that because of a later reservation on that table (and as per our booking instructions online) we can only hold the table for a maximum of 15 minutes.

It wasn't until 6.10pm that your wife had arrived by which time the table had been lost. Although we had offered to put you on the wait-list and find you another table, on hearing that the Earlybird discount would no longer be applicable, your wife chose not to stay even before you had found your way to the restaurant. How then you can claim that our staff were rude or disgusting in any way is beyond us.

Whilst we can understand customers' frustrations when a table is lost, to hold the restaurant responsible is, in our opinion, unreasonable. We are, unfortunately (but especially during busy periods), restricted in how long we are able to hold tables as we cannot allow the tardiness of one reservation to impact on a later, on-time reservation.

Given that it was your anniversary (something we weren't aware of at the time), and just how difficult it can be to find a table on an otherwise busy Saturday evening, we're pleased to hear that you had managed to find yourselves a table at Akbar's and hope you enjoyed your celebrations there, but we certainly stand by the actions of our staff and our reservation policy, both of which have the interests of all of our guests as a priority.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

We love this restaurant and have been several times before. The food is wonderful and different. We went on Thursday 14th November as a party of 4. We had recommended the Mughli to our friends, and we had all travelled quite a distance to get there. As money is a bit of an issue, we booked for the 'Early Bird' menu, at 5.30pm which meant that we would get 20% off the food bill. BUT because we hadn't typed in 'Early Bird' on the booking form online, when it came to paying the bill we did not get the discount. Extremely disappointed, and embarrassed in front of our friends. MORAL OF THE STORY - ALWAYS TYPE IN EARLY BIRD WHEN BOOKING AN EARLY TABLE