“Top restaurant, great food - a hidden gem”
Review of No. 4 Dine & Wine

No. 4 Dine & Wine
Ranked #121 of 2,344 Restaurants in Manchester
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Didsbury
Description: No.4 Dine and Wine opened in 2005 and has gone from strength to strength with a huge amount of regular customers from Didsbury and surrounding areas.Still owned and managed by Paul & Nina Burton who take part in the day to day running of the restaurant with a small team of friendly loyal staff.Menus are seasonal using as many local suppliers as possible. All dishes are homemade including bread baked every day, desserts and their popular chocolate truffles served with coffee.Ideal for a relaxed meal whether popping in for an early dinner or a special occasion. Small parties can also be catered for.Friendly & efficient service with the chance to watch the chefs in the kitchen! Booking advisable but not always essential.
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I ate here with my partner and our friend and can honestly say it was one of the best meals we've had for a long time. The restaurant is cosy, being as it is in a converted terraced cottage. I love the fact that there is a large opening into the kitchen and if you're conveniently placed you can see your food being prepared.

For staters I had the chicken liver brushetta with leeks, Madiera, pine nuts and sweet chilli sauce, my partner had tempura battered tiger prawns with baby gem lettuce, Caesar dressing and shaved Parmesan, and my friend had the Scottish oak smoked salmon on warm potato cake (well he is Scottish!). We each tried the others' and agreed that they were all very good indeed.

For the main course I had the roast rump of lamb with hot potatoes, minted peas and leeks and redcurrant sauce, my parter had grilled sea bass fillet on Morcambe Bay shrimp and garden pea risotto, and our friend had the pan fried calves liver, smoked bacon rashers, sauted spinach, creamy mash and onion rings. Once again, each dish was delicious and cooked to perfection.

For dessert I had the white chocolate brulee tart with raspberry ripple ice cream (I watched it being 'bruleed'!), my partner had the ice cream, and our friend had the Banoffee pie. An excellent end to a fulfilling meal.

Given the high quality of both the food and the service, the prices were very reasonable, with starters ranging from £4.25 to £7.95, dinner mains from £10.95 to the £18.95 sirloin, and desserts from £5.75 to £6.95.

We had a fantastic evening of fine food and will certainly be returning in future.

2  Thank itsafrogslife

Reviewed December 15, 2011

Not on the main street of Didsbury so not that many people know about it. Small and comfortable. Open kitchen and very good English food with a twist. Service is excellent. It is a bit quiet in the atmoshere as it is small but well worth a try. Very reasonable prices.

2  Thank babyboomer12
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I have been to many restaurants and hotels in the UK, I have also paid extortionate prices for food that is supposed to be a la carte, but I find that every meal I have I compare to my special restaurant the No 4 in Didsbury The food is excellent, with seasonal changes. The service and atmosphere is brilliant and the price is very reasonable. So If you are in the area and looking for a decent meal at a reasonable price take my advice and give the No4 a try. Oh it isn't open Mondays Happy eating

1  Thank Marge103
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I love this restaurant. It is housed in a converted terraced cottage down a cute cobbled side street in Didsbury. The main room is very small. You do feel you are eating dinner in someone's sitting room - but in a good way. The menu changes regularly and the focus is on fresh ingredients well cooked in a relatively traditional style. That's also a good thing. I can't really fault it except to say I wish it stayed open later. If only all local restaurants were like this.

1  Thank Aethelthryth
Reviewed July 24, 2011

Really pleasant. Nice service, good food (and portions) and the luncheon menu is very good value for money. Somewhere to search out that is quiet and not affected by the noise and crowds of Didsbury itself.