“4 Star no way!”

Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London
“4 Star no way!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

I booked a double room at this hotel, which was on a bed and breakfast basis, all confirmed, and upon arrival, the receptionist confirmed this also.

On the second morning, we were presented with a bill for £30 for breakfast, and told "you are on a room only booking" when I challenged this, a restaurant manager appeared, and told me I was wrong! A system error had occured!

She then reappeared five minutes later, to confirm that, indeed I was right, and my charge was incorrect. The restaurant was full, and we were made to feel like criminals!

On the final morning of our stay, we received an early morning call at 6am, I was told by reception, that no call had been made to the room at that time.

I complained via e-mail to the company, and I received many responses from the General Manager, who in my opinion, needs many lessons in customer service, no idea how to respond to complaints, except to give me a lot of crap that was irrelivant to my situation. Virtually called a liar about the early morning call, but then said that he had investigated further, and a call to the room had in fact been made.

Normally for poor service, you would expect some form of recompense, not from this hotel!

Sad situation to have to post this report on a four star hotel, and I would never stay there again, almost like negotiating, if you complain!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
neilbutler, Resident Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
Dear Sir,

Thankyou once again for your feedback. My impression was that you were content with the reply that I sent you months ago.

As you know I did make further investigations to find the source of the 'rogue' early call that was made to your room and took the time to update you as my view was that it was absolutely vital that you were made aware of who had made it and why.

Once again please accept my apologies to your Partner and Yourself

Kind Regards

Paul Bayliss MBE
Resident Manager
The Midland Hotel
Manchester

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (812)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2010

stayed for 2 nights with my 10 year old daughter for a christmas break and a miley cyrus concert. hotel is truly grand to look at. some of the rooms do need updating but our was fine. the staff were fantastic and always on hand to help. they even provided us with cutlery to eat our chinese take away in our room!
the pool was nice and quiet and the jacuzzi was great!
overall we both had a very enjoyable stay.

we had breakfast at the hotel and didnt queue but we did go early. the breakfast was lovely with so much choice! they staff were attentive and quick with coffee etc.

tip for single parents - try superbreak for bookings. we booked and i only paid half price for my daughter. got the 2 nights for £150. it was £200 everywhere else!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
neilbutler, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, June 24, 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that your experience at The Midland was enjoyable, and we do hope to be of service to you again in the future.

cheadle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

One of Manchester's historic landmarks which makes a change from bland modern 4 star hotels. I travel a lot on business and am pretty intolerant of any shortfall in service cleanliness or efficiency, but the Midland was faultless in all these areas. The restaurant was excellent: I do not eat meat and usually the vegetarian option in most hotels leaves much to be desired - certainly not the the case here. My only criticism would be the window in the bedroom which was firmly screwed shut - infuriating for those of us who like fresh air at night. Otherwise, a highly recommended choice.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
neilbutler, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, June 14, 2010
Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that your experience at The Midland was enjoyable, due to health and safety we are unable to open certain windows , but again thank you so much for your review .

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed at the Midland Hotel on a Saturday night..Check in was fast and easy. We had a standard rom and I was surprised at how small it was. We asked for a quiet room and we got what we asked for. The room was overlooking the courtyard, facing inwards. The room was perfectly clean however I felt that the blanket and bed cover looked a bit grubby. We needed another chair as I was there to help my son who is at Manchester University prepare for his practical exams, however it took over an hour for the chair to arrive. It wasn't a big problem as my son sat on the luggage rack!
The location is great, near to lots of restaurants, We ate out in the evening and then came back for desert in the foyer of the hotel. There was someone playing a grand piano and the atmosphere was great. It was very relaxing and the highlight of our stay.
We had breakfast (£15.00 per person) and the service was excellent. I would have liked some more choice of ready prepared fresh fruit. The only one available was melon, strawberries, grapes and fruit salad would have been nice.
We enjoyed our stay as the decor is very elegant and one found oneself wondering how grand it must have been when it was first built.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

East Anglia, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

We visited to take advantage of the Telegraph Alice in Wonderland Afternoon tea, as I had already planned to visit my daughter at university. I phoned in advance to check if I could use my vouchers on the Monday, as it was a bank holiday. I was told that it was but they were fully booked. Then when I was unable to come any other time, magically a slot appeared! Communication about the booking had been difficult because of the language skills of staff at the hotel, but all seemed in order.

We arrived on the day to be bustled off to the side by the same woman who had taken the booking, saying the vouchers were not valid, but she would sort it out. The room was practically empty apart from a large female family party. It was embarassing to be treated like this, and spoiled the atmosphere. The staff member denied that she might have misunderstood on the telephone. She personally brought our tea, which was pleasant, although the uninvited glasses of sweet sherry a surprise.

The final giveaway was when a waiter went to pass our plate of cakes onto the table, and asked us if we had eaten any already, as there should have been more on the plate. Clearly we had not, and 2 each seemed sufficient if not generous. However, again we were left feeling like inferior customers.

It is quite disgusting, and ill advised for hotels to behave in this way with offers. It smacks of meanness. I had considered this as a possible venue for a graduation lunch or dinner next year. However, the Alice in Wonderland tea leads me to believe that this is not an experience we will be seeking to repeat. Perhaps the rest of the hotel is better, but stingy service is not attractive, especially in a city where generosity is the order of the day.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
neilbutler, Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, June 11, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to speak with me earlier today, I would, once again, like to offer my sincere apologies for your recent experience but I am pleased that we have been able to resolve the matter.

I do hope that we can welcome you back to The Midland in the future.

Kind regards

Paul bayliss MBE
Manager
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2010

Stayed only one night in this hotel, but it was enough to show the excellent value of the stay. Centrally located, and with a great business suite available, it is a higly recommended hotel if you are looking to hold any business function, with top class staff through-out.

Rooms are large and spacious, shower and bathroom area is larger than usual, however the bed was a little old and so the spring had more or less given way. All in all it was a very comfortable stay, with zero noise coming from anywhere.

All in all this is a very nice hotel and I would have no hesitation in staying here again in the future.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
neilbutler, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, June 7, 2010

Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2010

We recently spent a Friday night at this hotel. Check-in was quick and efficient. The receptionist gave us details of the hotel's facilities, asked if we would like to make a dinner reservation, gave us the times of breakfast and told us the restaurant in which breakfast would be served. All in all the check-in was exactly what you would hope for in a four star city centre hotel.
We had booked a "standard" room and found this was more than adequate for our purpose. Whilst not overly large, it was well furnished and appointed - with more than sufficient wardrobe space.
We had arranged to meet friends at around 6.45 p.m. and had hoped to have drinks in the lounge/bar area; however, even at this time all seats were taken. As another reviewer has noted there are lots of hotels and bars in the area and so we wnt to the bar of the Radisson Hotel - a good choice for pre-dinner drinks.
The Midland was full the night of our stay and so the breakfast restaurant was crowded and the staff under presure, however, the staff coped well and we found the breakfast selection well presented and of a good quality.
We found the Midland a good place for an overnight stay and ideally located for those wanting to explore the city.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple