“Great location and service. Shame about the mattress”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed December 22, 2009

We stayed for one night at The Midland as we had tickets for a concert and wanted to make a night of it. The location if perfect - we were a couple of yards from the tram and walking distance to the city centre. Check in was easy and the room we were allocated was a good size. We stayed for a drink in the bar and despite the fact that the hotel was absolutely full with various Christmas functions going on the staff were very attentive. Breakfast was fabulous - a great choice and plenty of it. The only downside was the mattress in our room. It was impossble to sleep comfortably. There were two definite dips on both sides of the mattress which you could not avoid rolling into. As it was only for one night we did not mind so much. If you were staying for longer you could end up with back ache. Apart from that it was great

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank italyfanaticCheshire

Reviewed December 7, 2009

We usually stay in other hotels when visiting Manchester but I booked this hotel to celebrate our 6th Wedding Anniversary and be a surprise for my wife.

I rang and emailed the hotel beforehand in the hope everything would run smoothly and it was perfect.

From the moment you arrive at this impressive hotel, you are treated extremely well. The staff on reception are smartly turned out and nothing is too much trouble.

The reception lobby had 2 huge xmas trees beautifully decorated.

The hotel upgraded us to a fantastic room on the 6th floor which was probably one of the superior rooms as it was our wedding anniversary. The bathroom was very big and impressively decorated.

The Lounge bar had plenty of easy chairs/sofas with waiters on hand to order your drinks from the bar. The drinks are very expensive though with a Baileys or Barcadi setting you back £6.50 each. A pint of guinness will cost you £3.95. There is also a 10% bar surcharge put on your drinks bill.

The breakfast in the morning was lovely and food very hot. The chef was on hand to ensure food was replenished fresh all the time.

Overall this has changed our opinion on where to stay in Manchester in the future and we will most definitely be returning.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
neilbutler, guest sevices manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2009

Thank you for your positive feedback, we are delighted that your experience at The Midland was enjoyable, and we do hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed December 3, 2009

Hi

I travel regularly with work and hate hotels to be honest given the fact that I seem to spend most of my working life there so its with some Trepidation that I wander through the doors of any new establishment as I wait the inevitable drury reception and dreadful breakfasts. My first visit to the midland was in september and I have been back there on numerous occasions since. Overall I feel the experience was positive but I do think they could make some improvements:
* On the only occasion that I dined in the hotel I would rate the quality of the food as medicore, I had a burger and chips which wasnt up to scratch and to be honest I had trouble digesting. Two of my colleauges had a caesar salad which only contained chicken, lettuce and dressing. I am not a chef but arent there sapposed to be 7 ingredients on a caesar salad. Complaints about this salad seemed to fall on deaf ears with varying reports from wandering waiters about the correct approach.
* The breakfast wasnt great either and I now tend to avoid it.

* the staff are nice and the atmosphere is always appealing
* The rooms are always of a high standard but the quality of the channel selection leaves much to be desired

This may seem petty but with the quality of other hotels of such a high standard - radisson - they could up their game a bit...

nonetheless I will be back for more...

Silverfox out

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
neilbutler, Guestservices manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2009

Thank you for raising your concern, I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience with us, and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you.

Guest services Manager

Reviewed December 2, 2009

We stayed at the hotel for our wedding night, the hotel is fantastic, the staff are polite and helpful, breakfast was fresh and hot, we had the wedding reception in the hotel and both our families were amazed at how grand the hotel is and the Christmas decorations were WOW!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank hk1983
neilbutler, guest sevices manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2009

Reviewed December 1, 2009

My last stay at the Midland was about 30 years ago and my memory of it was that it was a gloomy place with corridors that reminded me of The Shining. But all has changed - when I arrived at tea time two days ago, two enormous Christmas trees filled the hall and there was a lovely atmosphere as people were tucking into afternoon tea. A nice welcome, helpful staff. Good sized and comfortable room - a fitness centre and a little swimming pool in the lower ground level. We were a little disappointed that the French restaurant wasn't open so went out to eat in the evening. A good breakfast the next day and overall an enjoyable stay. My bill was paid for me and I don''t know how much it cost - so my grading for value is an averaging of the overall score.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank LesFlamantsRoses
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We stayed here for a friends wedding and would highly recommend this hotel. The staff were helpful and friendly across the board from reception to room service to bar service.
We don't often get to Manchester but we agreed after this stay it would be worth a special trip just to have another night at this hotel

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Bumblingbetty
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Splendid hotel, I was there on business so also used the conference facilities, the room for the course was too cold though and although we asked staff to sort it out they seemed rather too busy with large groups in the hotel to give it attention. It is a beautiful looking building with a great history. My room was lovely, wonderful soundproofing too. Most comfy bed I have ever slept in to be honest. A nice sized room too and a good bathroom. I ate at the restaurant and the staff were very attentive, food was excellent but the wine was a silly price. I thought the free bus from the station was also good, well done Manchester for this.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank thequiettraveller52
neilbutler, guest sevices manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2009

Thank you for your feedback we do hope to be of service to you again in the future.
We will pass on your thanks to robert.