The Midland
$89
$112
$105
5,472 results
All reviewsmr coopersafternoon teaq hotelsoctagon loungebeautiful hotelsuperior roomfantastic staymini barreception areacentral manchestersaturday nightlovely roomcooked breakfastcity centrestayed for one nightmember of staffmidlands
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We have just come back from two nights at the Midland, on our first night we were put in room above the disco, it was deafening, but the staff did move us to another room higher in the hotel which was good. The hotel is impressive to look at (compared to the Lowry for example which is just basically a Premier Inn on steroid's and never a 5 star hotel) but it is getting a bit tired and could do with a bit of nip tuck in places. The overall stay was good and we would go back but its the Hilton Deansgate winning for us as the best hotel in Manchester so far.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Paul G
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Dear Paul G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience with TripAdvisor.

I’m sorry to read that the room you were originally allocated was disturbed by an in-house function; I will certainly ensure that the importance of monitoring the sound levels is reiterated to our events managers.

It’s great, however to read that you found the hotel so impressive and that our team were able to accommodate you in a different bedroom which was more suitable. - I hope to welcome you back to The Midland soon and further improve your opinion of the hotel.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I stayed at the hotel whilst attending a business conference at the Manchester Centre. The hotel is well accommodated, beautifully decorated (having recently been renovated) and very stylist. The bedrooms are spacious, comfortable and very clean with that feel of luxury.

What really lets the hotel down, which is a real shame, is the staff who appeared to be totally disorganised and unable to cope with the simplest of tasks.

My colleagues had a breakfast meeting and placed our order, 2 teas, 4 coffees and 2 full breakfasts, this order needed to be reprocessed 3 times during which time (1hour) we were served by 7 different staff, neither of which knew what the order was, so you had to go through the process again. Drinks turned up but no milk or sugar, breakfast turned up with no cutlery etc.

What surprised us most was that apart from ourselves there was only one other table so staff had no excuse to be busy.

Later on in the evening in the lounge area we ordered drinks which again had to be taken 2 times and was still wrong - 2 white wines, 2 beers & 1 water how difficult could it be. Again this was placed at a quiet time before it got busy.

All I can guess is that additional were employed on a temporary basis to deal with the busy conference clientele. As this was a business conference for professionals spending lots of money it was a poor show.

In addition it took till 4pm for my room to be cleaned, despite seeing the cleaning trolley outside my door earlier in the morning at 11am.

To summarise, accommodate great, facilities and location great, staff need training/careful managing. However I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Dee O
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Dear Dee O,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay at The Midland, I’m pleased to read that you liked the hotel décor and the spacious, luxurious nature of our bedrooms.

I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed by other aspects of your stay and I have already shared your thoughts with the relevant teams who I know will make every effort to improve where necessary. It’s great, however, to read that you would recommend staying with us overall.

If you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk I would appreciate the opportunity to gain further details of your experience - I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights with a group of 18 girls for a hen weekend, and we all enjoyed our stay the the Midland.

It was centrally located, which is very useful when you're from out of town!

The foyer is beautiful, very welcoming and check-in was very quick and efficient - staff were very attentive.

Our room was spacious, the complimentary water, tea and coffee were very welcomed! The beds were extremely comfortable. The safe deposit was also a nice touch, although we didn't use it. There was a mini bar also, but again we did not use this. The hotel did provide free wifi in the room and provided you with the login details at check-in. However, i found that I had difficulties acessing the wifi in the room, and service on my phone was non-existent! But, I was able to use the wifi in the lobby which was fine.

We had a continental breakfast both mornings which was self service, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was good variety of food, tea and coffee was plentiful and the waitress served us straightaway. We had the option of a full english breakfast if we wanted to pay extra, but the continental breakfast was more than adequate. It was in Mr Cooper's Restaurant, very elegant setting.

Unfortunately, I did not get around the using the spa facilities - but the other girls who had used the facilities said they enjoyed the pool and sauna.

I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank nikkieg
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear nikkieg,

Thank you for your review of The Midland and for relaying your experience of your celebratory stay with us.

I have shared your feedback with the relevant teams here and especially our housekeeping staff considering your compliments regarding the comfort and amenities you enjoyed in your room – I know they’re always pleased when their skills are appreciated!

It’s great, also, to read that you and your friends found our front of house team to be efficient and attentive and I’m sure they’ll join me in hoping to welcome you back to the hotel very soon; thank you for helping other travellers to make an informed decision when looking for accommodation in Manchester.

Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from an overnight stay at the midland hotel and we will definatly be returning. The Midland is one classy lady and you can't fail to be impressed when you walk into the reception by the decor and character of the hotel.
The staff are very welcoming and professional and nothing too much trouble.
Our room was very tastefully decorated and spotless as was the rest of the hotel. The mini bar in our room was very well stocked with the best variety of drinks and snacks we have seen in a hotel in ages.
We were going to a concert so decided to have a bar snack before going in the lounge,our food was at our table within 20 minutes and even though the hotel had three functions on that day the service and staff were excellent.
The full English breakfast was lovely and the quality of the food excellent,and definatly worth paying that little bit extra for.
All in all a first class stay in a first class hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Janet D
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2014

Dear Janet D,

I’m pleased to read how impressed you were with the hotel lobby and the welcoming and professional service you enjoyed from our team.

I will share your feedback with the kitchen teams particularly for the speedy and tasty food you experienced on your visit to the Octagon and during breakfast.

I hope to have the opportunity to see you back at the hotel soon, thank you for taking the time to share such an excellent experience.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

If you are visiting Manchester, you should always try and stay at the Midland above all others as it really is the best hotel in the city. Traditional Values, Excellent Quality, Superb Service, there just aren't enough superlatives to describe this hotel and all it stands for.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank djmell

Dear djmell,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience at the hotel with TripAdvisor. Its wonderful to read such kind words regarding our product and service and I will pass your compliments onto the whole team here.

Thank you for helping other travellers to make an informed decision when looking for accommodation in Manchester. I hope to welcome you back to The Midland soon.