“Special occasion”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #12 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We booked an overnight stay, with breakfast included, to celebrate our daughter's 21st birthday. We found the front staff on reception cheerful and helpful: we asked for a room change ( one of the small doubles, with very little natural light ) and they were very pleasant about this and offered us a much nicer room in a similar price range. The porter was very keen to show us the room and asked if we were satisfied with the substitute - which we were. The 2 rooms were spotless, too. However, please note there was a downside - and this constituted the famous re- organised breakfast arrangements. I have stayed in the Midland previously when there was just one room / one price for English/ continental breakfast. It used to be one of the highlights of the stay. No longer, in our opinion. First of all, there was an unhappy mix - up on the tariff. The internet provider had issued us ' breakfast inclusive ' tickets. Other websites either omitted breakfast or classed it as 'continental'. We assumed we were entitled to a full breakfast, but were greeted by an interrogation at the entrance to the restaurant. No we were only entitled to the apartheid of the continental restaurant across the way. It was highly public and embarrassing. We upgraded by paying a bit extra each. The front staff remained calm ( we weren't ) apologetic and helpful and it appeared that this was not the first time clientele and staff had experienced misunderstandings with internet bookings. The meal ? Not a patch on the previous occasion. Very expensive, with a limited menu. The smoked fish was delicious, but one plate had to be returned because the portion was miniscule. The croissants were hard and cold; the continental meat choices were limited to a few slices of indifferent salami and prosciutto; the cheese was in tiny slices and very, very ordinary. To reflect what others have said in recent reviews: disappointing for a top hotel in Manchester. I do hope the management will rethink this guest apartheid and sad change in breakfast quality. There appear to be some issues which need to be sorted out pretty quickly by the management. We will definitely stay again in this elegant, friendly hotel - but will take breakfast in the nearby Starbucks/ Costa cafés next time. If you read recent reviews quite a few people seem to be making complaints about the Midland breakfast ! Four stars because overall it is a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Ask to change a room if not satisfied - but arrive early. Staff were very obliging and wanted us to...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2014

Dear Paula H,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how pleased you were with the service you received from our reception and concierge team during your stay.

I'm sorry to read that your breakfast experience did not match your expectations and I will personally take your concerns up with the breakfast team to help them make improvements where possible.

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (5,304)

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Beautiful building right next to the train station. Excellent gym, sauna and small pool.

We didn't eat so I can't comment on the food.

Rooms are a little tired and our superior room @ £130 room only felt a little steep. Overall though a comfortable and enjoyable stay.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear JGoldsbrough,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I will pass your kind compliments onto our Leisure Club team who I know will be pleased that their hard work has been noted.

I will also pass your feedback onto the housekeeping and maintenance management so that they can make improvements in their departments where possible.

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, we had the valet parking at an extra £25. As you walk into the reception you are met by the grandeur of the place. The reception staff were very efficient and pleasant, booked at standard room but she told us we had been upgraded (nice surprise)

We were on the second floor, when we opened the door both of us said wow. Our upgrade was to a suite, the room was bigger than my house lol. We had 2 double in it, sofas, chairs etc. everything was immaculately clean.

The only downside was when we went for a drink downstairs, the waitress saw us but in the whole 10 mins we were sat there she never came over to ask us did we want anything. The prices are rather inflated as a 125ml glass of wine was £6.10 ish

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Hltlisa06,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm so pleased to read how much you enjoyed yourselves at the hotel and your upgrade.

I will certainly pass your constructive feedback onto our lounge managers so that they can address your concerns with their team.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We had our wedding reception at The Midland on March 23rd last year and decided to go back for a stay to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. We weren't disappointed in the slightest! We were given a beautiful room, with a congratulations card inside, which was a lovely touch. Our stay was wonderful, staff helpful and friendly, room service very fast and efficient. We also had one of the best breakfasts ever in Mr Coopers house and garden. I'd recommend it to anyone! Thanks for a lovely stay!

Room Tip: We had a room on the 6th floor, was very quiet, slept really well.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear bigshop S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's wonderful to read how much you enjoyed your return stay and that you decided to join us for such a special occasion.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel for many more anniversary visits in the years to come!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We treated ourselves and our in laws for their 50th wedding anniversary for a weekend stay at The Midland and it was fantastic. We would definitely stay again. One tip though is if you are planning to eat at The French restaurant is to book in advance. We didn't realise and tried to get a table for the Friday night but sadly it was booked up.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Dear LeighPhil,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland for such a special occasion. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed the weekend with us so much and would stay with us again.

I hope we can welcome you and your family back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed for 2 nights at the Midland on the 6th floor having asked for a quiet room. A good room with all the facilities you would expect, clean and tidy. I understand the safety issues but it would be ideal if windows would open, even a little bit so as to let some fresh air into the room.
Breakfast, what can I say. I have stayed at the Midland for many years, as far back to when it was a Crowne Plaza and this is the first time that the breakfast has been a 'bun fight'. It is a continental breakfast with a very limited selection that is advertised as a "Midland Breakfast" as if it is something special, sorry but it is not. The staff as usual are trying their best under very trying and cramped conditions. The line of people wanting to use the one toaster mingled into the one wanting the limited cereals etc caused confusion. To get toast that wasn't just warm bread necessitated it being put through twice which again caused unnecessary delay. Not enough tables although they have been crammed in so eating in the outer room on low tables was the only option for many.
It might be a good economic idea to have a separate restaurant offering a cooked breakfast at an inflated extra cost but not a good idea for guests. How much does it cost to offer a decent breakfast ? To be blatantly honest the free breakfast at a Holiday Inn Express is superior to the continental on offer at the Midland.
It is o.k. for Mr Rogan to come 'Up North' to show the peasants how food should be served and a fortune made in the process but I think the management will regret it in the long term. Upon checking in I was offered a half price breakfast in Mr Coopers so perhaps it isn't doing so well. There was clearly a lot more space for guests than in the general dining area that to overspill into the foyer.
Please don't let this review stop you from staying at the Midland because in general it is a good hotel. Just a few issues spoil what could be the best hotel in Manchester.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Clive S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your most recent stay at The Midland. It's great to read that you were pleased with your room and the facilities available however I am concerned to read that you found the continental breakfast so detrimental to your enjoyment of your stay.

I will certainly pass your comments onto our breakfast team and ensure that they make improvements where necessary.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel again very soon.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

This is a lovely building which has been well maintained. The reception area is quite magnificent and very grand. It's a great location, right in the city centre and handy for all local attractions.

My room was not the largest I've ever had in a hotel, but was a reasonable size (if an odd, long shape) and well decorated. The bathroom was quite large and perhaps did have a heated mirror, because I didn't need to keep wiping it to shave after a shower. The taps in the bath / shower were a bit strange and I found turning off the shower usually turned on the bath!

There was no view, the windows looked into a small space between rooms, but at least that meant no road noise. Annoyingly the windows wouldn't open for "health and safety reasons" even though there was no drop to the ground. I prefer to sleep with the window open in hotels and don't sleep as well with air con whirring in the background. Another annoyance, which I've noticed in other hotels as well, was that the room door was not a good fit and let in light around the frame. This also affects my ability to get a good nights sleep - why can't hotels at least dim corridor lights overnight?

The wifi in the room was complementary, but pretty poor. It was hard to maintain a reasonable connection for any length of time. In the end I reverted to using my phone as a hotspot because the hotel wifi really wasn't up to the job.

The main reason why I rated this as only average was the breakfast, which was terrible. I was with a group and we had to breakfast outside the main restaurant. The food was lukewarm and not very appetising. The hotel couldn't provide all the food that was available in the restaurant because the kitchen was "too far away". Complaints did eventually lead to boiled eggs and bread rolls being brought to te breakfast room, but this also entailed a long wait.

The staff were generally good and tried to help with the breakfast problems, but this didn't really offset the fact that this is an expensive hotel and breakfast really should have been better.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank DickBurton
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Dear DickBurton,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you were impressed with the hotel reception and the decor employed in your guest room.

I am disappointed, however, to note that you did not feel some aspects of your stay lived up to your expectations and I will pass your concerns onto the relevant teams so that they can address them where possible.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon so that we can demonstrate the fantastic standards of product and service for which The Midland is famous.