“Perfect ”

Ranked #14 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester
“Perfect ”
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

Love this hotel so much rooms are lovely and big, beds are very comfy the staff are friendly, location is perfect. I Stayed at the Raddison next door on New Year's Eve but preferred the midland by far. I have stayed here 3 times now and can't wait to return!

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank manchester3
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear manchester3,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments regarding the rooms, staff and location of the hotel are much appreciated.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (819)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I paid £148 for a Double room. Nice check in procedure. As we arrived in the room, although nicely furnished it was small. The Curtains were open, giving us a splendid view of a brick wall and a roof of another part of the hotel approximately a metre away. I couldn't believe I was paying that price for such a room.
I spoke to the Hotel reception, who informed me, that it was a standard room and there were no others to move into. We thought lets not spoil it and made do. However, the following morning, having paid £15 each for breakfast, no Black pudding. (Staple Northern food)
I am afraid the Midland has lost my custom.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sherlock999
Dear Sherlock999,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm sorry to read that the standard of the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations.

When the hotel was built the architect had to allow for internal and external rooms, and therefore incorporated two light wells through the building; meaning that even “internal” rooms have windows and natural light. The light wells are lined with glazed white tiles to reflect the light around and down to the first floor windows. However, if you would like to contact me directly on tsmith@qhotels.co.uk I would be more than happy to make a note on your guest profile that you should be allocated external rooms only on any future stays.

I hope you will be pleased to read that we have now changed our breakfast offering to include both a continental and cooked option. Our Full English includes black pudding made locally; I hope you will be able to try it on a future visit to Manchester.

Falkirk Region
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Have stayed here on two occasions recently and was very impressed. My twin room was absolutely huge and I enjoyed the smart TV in the room along with fast Wi-Fi. The staff all very pleasant. I'm due back in Manchester at end of February and I've decided to book my stay at the Renaissance, purely so I can have a cooked breakfast. The Midland`s continental breakfast is very limited and ordinary. Fab hotel but poor breakfast choice.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Stoorty,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastci to read how impressed you were with your recent visits as well as our new Smart TVs and WiFi system.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your breakfast, we do also have a cooked option in Mr. Cooper's House & Garden - I hope you will be able to return to the hotel and try this option soon.

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Used this hotel when away on business. I had a very warm welcome and for a large hotel very friendly attentive service. Great room very clean and comfortable. Breakfast wasn't the best I've had, the offer of full English was not made so assumed only continental on offer but this wasn't anything special

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back not opposite the tram line
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank gillrmartin
Dear gillrmartin,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you thought the service you received was excellent and I will pass your compliments onto our housekeeping team for the standard of your room.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Stayed here for one night for our one year anniversary. We wanted somewhere romantic to celebrate - (but not bank breaking!) - I shopped around and got a room for approx £100 - which isn't bad for most places in the centre of Manchester!

The hall / reception area of the hotel is stunning, really beautiful. The corridors outside the rooms are wide and have a titanic esq feel.

The room was relatively small, especially the bathroom - a gripe being how short the bath was. I'm, 5'3 and was just about OK but I can't imagine what a 6ft man would think!

Got an anniversary card in our room when we returned from our evening out which was a really lovely personal touch (thanks Jennifer!) Some other positives - very comfy and nice bed, lovely size wardrobe and I really appreciated the dressing table area. A wine cooler, 2 wine glasses out in room with a bottle of water and 2 short glasses. Lots of tea and coffee options and really good biscuits!

The room was really beautiful. High ceilings and windows and quite a luxury feel. When lying in bed at night I did notice a small crack in the ceiling and then in the light of the morning noticed a small stain on the curtains - I'm not pedantic and these didn't spoil our stay, but to keep the reputation of a high class hotel they are things the hotel needs to think about. One other gripe... the pillows were really hard and there were no spares in the wardrobe. I'm confident reception would have sent more if I phoned - but when you return late at night after a few cocktails you don't want to do that.

Overall however I was really pleased with the hotel. Very impressive in public spaces and overall a high class room.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Kazi87,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your visit to the hotel and found the features and amenities in your room to your liking.

I will pass on your thanks to Jennifer on reception, and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Isle of Skye, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Got a reasonable rate via work for a business stay. Twin room but had two double beds so no problem there. Dressing area and modern, clean bathroom. Hair dryer has several switches, but confused why they just don't leave them all on (apart from the one on the dryer itself) as I had to go under the desk to get at the switch on the skirting board.

Bed was super comfy and room service dinner very good.

So why do they have to be so mean as to have two different breakfast rooms. People like me on a lower rate only get the continental selection. I was not planning a major blow out, but a bacon buttie would have been appreciated and a bowl of bran flakes and a boiled egg didn't really cut the mustard. I checked and the rate via my employer said B&B, not B and continental B.

Just left a slightly sour taste....

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jacqui R
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
Dear Arthmonster,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read that you found your bed "super comfy" and will pass your compliments onto our room service and kitchen teams regarding your evening meal.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed by your experience at breakfast; the we do now have two options; an À la carte menu in Mr. Cooper’s House & Garden and a Continental buffet in The Wyvern. The aim of this is to improved the quality of the hot breakfast by enabling us to control the temperature and quality of each plate, as well as the quality of the continental buffet by giving us more space for an extended selection.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Poulton Le Fylde
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed for 1 night in Jan 2014. The room was a superior room and very,very spacious. A few niggles- no face flannel in the bathroom which was also cold and we could not figure out how to get the heated towel rail to work.
The room itself was lovely but there was a small patch on the ceiling where there had been some water ingress - no surprise in view of the amount of rain we have had. The coffee in the room was good but very difficult to use the sachets without spilling them everywhere.
A big plus was the dressing table with two lamps. The bed was huge.
So, would we stay again , yes we would although the £15 extra for continental breakfast was rather steep.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Winedrinker9,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how spacious you found your superior room (and your bed!).

I'm pleased to read that you would stay with us again and hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.