“Slow front desk, but a good stay” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
London, England
“Slow front desk, but a good stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

This not such an easy review to write. Let me get the worst out of the way immediately.
When I walked into the lobby at 4:30pm on a Friday evening, the queue for check-in was around 20 people with only two staff to deal with it.
The management quickly put on more staff and I only had to wait 10 minutes to check in.
I still do not think a 10-minute wait at check-in is acceptable from an hotel of this standard.
When I eventually got to the front of the queue I complained and the lady kindly upgraded my room.
That and a couple of other issues aside, it was a good overnight stay. The hotel is centrally placed; the staff are welcoming; the service seemed about right for this class of hotel - nothing special, but not much to complain about either.
The upgraded room was good - a very comfortable bed; good, fast and free in-room WiFi, effective, quiet aircon; a nice TV in room and a lot of floor space with plentiful windows overlooking an open space.
I mentioned another couple of issues. I asked at the front desk about trams to Piccadilly station. They offered their best advice, but when I got to the tram stop and paid for a ticket,, I realised there were no trams due to engineering works. A better front desk would have known this and offered more relevant advice.
Second, at check-out, even though there was nothing to pay due to pre-payment, it still took some 5 minutes to get away as they were not able to give me a printed document showing no charge.
So overall, I was made cross by inadequate staffing at check-in and on leaving I was left with another sour taste due to the delays in check-out and the poor advice from the concierge.
Those unfortunate incidents aside, however, the hotel is a good business hotel. Just leave a bit of extra time for check-in and check-out.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear KidasDave,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read your comments regarding the standard of your bedroom and I'm glad that our location suited your needs during your visit to Manchester.

I'm disappointed to read that the speed of service at check-in/check-out did not match your expectations. Our reception team have a duty to give a certain amount of information on check-in and this does take a minimum amount of time. As you point out in your review; more staff were allocated to check-in but with such a volume of people the process is bound to take some time.

I will pass your observations onto our Front Office and Concierge teams who I’m sure will make improvements where possible.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (808)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I lived in Manchester for several years but never went inside the Midland , so staying there for a night was a new experience. This hotel is beautiful, modern but with an old-school glamour. Very nice room and at all points excellent service.

Stayed February 2014
Dear 1982_Lancs,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such great comments regarding your room and the high standards of service which we are so proud of.

Petawawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

We stayed at the Midland this weekend and found the room to be very nice and clean, so due credit goes to the hard working maids to make that happen. The experience went wrong at the breakfast. we were seated and promptly ignored for 10 minutes while a couple sat down next to us and were immediately provided coffee. Not a good start. After asking for some help, the hostess did find someone to bring coffee. It was cold and we got a whopping half cup each. Finally a waiter arrived and took our order. My wife had a waffle, which was deflated, thin and tasteless if you've ever had a belgian waffle you know what we might have had in mind. My eggs breakfast was bland and not hot. This was caused by COLD plates which took what little heat out the food it might have had. By now, we're not really enjoying this, and the water we order arrived as we finished our meal and looked up blankly, well you know what we were thinking.... Here's what we'd suggest. Start over, from the bottom up. The kitchen, the menu the staff training, the lack of customer service... it was shocking. We'll get breakfast on Deansgate from now on, no point in paying 20GBP each for what should have been an upscale breakfast. Now, I know the management will jump in here about how this must have been an isolated event....nevermind that. Before leaving, we looked around the dining room and found lots of craned necks and people looking like, well you know "what do I have to do to get some help". This adds up to a management failure, you cannot blame the servers and junior help. They need training and support and clear direction. The menu is clearly needing help. Leave the fry up in, hin the rest, add eggs benedict, a proper waffle with fresh fruit and real maple syrup, common people, get with it !

Room Tip: no idea how to get a nice room, it was assigned to us.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear KnowsPorter,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read your kind comments regarding your bedroom and the high standards of cleanliness; I will pass your compliments onto the housekeeping team - I know they are always pleased when their hard work has been appreciated.

I'm sorry that your experience at breakfast did not meet with your expectations; I will certainly feed your observations and suggestions back to our breakfast management team who I'm sure will make improvements where necessary.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon and ensure that you experience the excellent standards which we pride ourselves on and were unfortunately lacking during your most recent stay.

Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

We had a 2 week stay in Europe and the Midland was our favorite hotel for the entire trip. The rooms are large and beautiful with a big comfy bed, vanity, in room tea pot, large bathtub and towel warmers. It wa a great location to get out and walk around the city and to some bars and coffee shops. The lobby is lovely and everyone is very helpful. The full english breakfast that comes with the room was the best we had. I really love this place and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear beachloverandfoodie,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. Your kind comments are much appreciated by the team here.

I'm pleased to read the hotel's position in the city suited your trip to Manchester and it's fantastic to read that we were your favourite hotel through your whole tour of Europe.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

We had a lovely weekend at this splendid hotel and will definitely return to enjoy the afternoon teas, evening drinks and other facilities that make this a calm and peaceful base from which one can enjoy Manchester life.

1 Thank LPW24
Dear Tricia G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. I'm pleased to read how calm and peaceful you found your visit and your description of the hotel as "splendid" is much appreciated!

I hope to welcome you back to Manchester soon.

Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

Last week end we stayed in Room 355 at the Midland (2nd time in 6 weeks) , again we stayed for 2 nights. (1 bedroom suite)
every one from Mike on the front door, There is a big bloke ex GPO who also greets us with a few chirpy comments , alas we don't know his name, resplendent in his grey coat (under strict instructions not to get it wet), the girls on reception are amazing, like swans.

Our room as usual, so clean, could have been an operating theatre with nice touches such as flowers, they even turn your bed down!!.

Room Service .. great, we even had meals and breakfast in our room due to been tired.

Watch out for the beds, they envelop you and so comfortable you need a tyre lever to get out of them.

The TV, fancy beast , but now getting used to it!! a bit too high tec for us

Recommend... you bet, we are back in March lol!!

If hotels based themselves on good old fashioned values, courteous staff, amazing service you cant go wrong.

Room Tip: Suites 255, 355 and 455 are the best, room 355 caters for our tastes
Dear Linda W,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read such lovely comments regarding our concierge and reception teams, as well as the high standard of cleanliness and service you received upstairs.

I look forward to hope to welcoming you back to the hotel in March.

Saffron Walden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2014

We have just spent three wonderful nights in this great Hotel. This is our third visit and hopefully there will be plenty more as we really love both the Hotel and Manchester! On arrival our room was not as we had hoped [bed not king size] but without any trouble we were moved and all was well. Room spotlessly clean and we found all the Hotel staff so friendly and most obliging - a real family feel and nothing was too much trouble.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Dear susanbouzan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at The Midland. It's fantastic to read how much you love visiting Manchester and staying at the hotel.

I'm sorry that there was a mix-up with the room originally allocated to you but I'm glad to read that we were able to put this right for you as swiftly as possible.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Radisson Blu Edwardian Manchester
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,289 reviews
The Principal Manchester
The Principal Manchester
#18 of 115 in Manchester

Been to The Midland? Share your experiences!