“Not alone!”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed at the Midland on business trip (Sept) – good location for Manchester Central
Great first impression via door & reception staff and beautiful entrance hall. First room offered rather small and I noticed a large light right outside my window! Immediately asked for a change, staff quickly sorted this out for me, 2nd room larger with funny headboards that moved (one fell off) & the shabby chic deco was not quite right, but lovely large bathroom so happy enough.
However I felt I wasn’t alone, there appeared to be a shadow that moved from the door across the entrance area & went into the wardrobe where the once must have been a door the shadow appeared to be a small cat & it was very active especially on the second night!
I’m booked to go back next week hopefully not to same room!
The breakfast was tops, great scrambled eggs and lots of piping hot coffee – again lovely staff

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Regus,

Thank you for your review of The Midland, I'm pleased that our staff gave a great first impression and that you thought the hotel offered a good location for your trip.

It's also great to read that we have a report of another resident ghost at The Midland, although I think this is the first cat we've heard of!

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next week.

There are newer reviews for The Midland

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Traditional hotel with lovely period rooms with Contemporary bathrooms, Bar area lacks atmosphere but worth a stay.
Good location too explore the sights of the city and the reception staff very helpful.

Dear KARENWD54,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay, I'm pleased to read such great comments regarding the bedrooms, bathrooms and location.

I will pass your compliments onto the reception staff and I hope to welcome you back to The Midland soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We have stayed at The Midland a few times before and never had a bad word to say about it,

I booked a twin superior suite for my birthday knowing that the rooms were very big, as I have stayed in them before.

Upon arrival there was a huge Q, we arrived at 3.30pm(check in is 3pm) alot of people were complaining as there rooms were not ready luckily ours was.

We had a lot of bags there was no offer to help us with luggage, we arrived to our room, which was just a pokey double room where they have opened the couch as a bed. This was NOT a twin superior !! I know as thats all we ever stay in.

We rang down to complain but no body answered, we rang about 10 times! so my partnet decided to go all the way down to the lobby and Q up again for a further 20 mins just to say we were in the wrong room.

Apparently there were no twin superior rooms available so they gave us this? yet we booked and paid for a twin superior.

After putting the sofa bed up and re arranging the room we made it abit more spacious, we then rang down again to order room service, took us 5 attempts for them to answer. We ordered 2 sandwiches and 2 soups and was told 20/30min wait. After one hour of waiting the food was still not here, we tried ringing down again to see where it was, yet nobody would answer again, took us 20 mins for somebody to answer,

We were told the food went to the wrong room and it has been made again and was on its way up, we waited a further 30 mins, so 2 hours later our food arrived.

Luckily they didnt charge us for the food, but the service here was horrific and we wont be staying here again.

1  Thank Hayley S

Dear Hayley S,

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to The Midland. I'm sorry that your experience did not live up to your expectations and ask if you would be able to contact me directly on 0161 932 4127 or at tsmith@qhotels.co.uk to discuss your experience further.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Just had another wonderful stay at the Midlan Hotel, Manchester. We recently spent our wedding anniversary in the luxury and splender of this magnificent hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful beyond my expectations, indeed, I happened to mention at reception that it was our anniversary - next thing room service were at our door with a anniversary card and a complimentary bottle of wine! (Thankyou Jennifer)

Tip; If staying for 24hrs take advantage of the valet parking - its the same price as doing it yourself but with far less stress and leg work.

See you next year

Room Tip: Valet parking is a must

Dear Jonathan B,

Thank you for your review after your very special visit to The Midland. I will pass your thanks onto Jnnifer on reception and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed at the Midland yesterday evening using the excellent value Q Hotel Breakaway deal. Wonderful victorian building with modern facilities, quite grand and impressive. Our room was well equipped, comfortable, clean and had a huge bed, good TV with a large channel choice.
Only one minor quibble- do we have to have background classical music at breakfast, do hotels ever ask customers?

Dear malback,

Thank you for your review of The Midland, I'm pleased to read that you thought the hotel offered excellent value and I will pass your compliments regarding your room onto our housekeeping team.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed her for my 6 year anniversary and had the most perfect time. The hotel was incredible the service was perfect and the breakfast was fit for a queen! And thats just how i felt cant wait to go back! My favorite hotel in england!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Birdy E,

Thank you for your review after your very special visit to The Midland. I'm glad we were able to deliver service which you describe as perfect, and I will pass your compliments onto our breakfast team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed in this hotel a few years ago and it was perfect. Then it was taken over by q hotels and on this visit we were very disappointed. The lady that checked us in was very polite. The room was quite small but adequate facilities. They had been decorated since the last visit. The breakfast was absolutely disgusting which seems to be a common feature in these reviews and let me tell you they are not wrong. Complete waste of money, cold tea and coffee, Half the breakfast items were missing and what was out was Luke warm. Not happy this was included in the price, if I had known I wouldn't have bothered. Used the pool which I encountered a problem with but have since received an email from the health club manager after they carried out some checks.
We live local but stayed over as we were attending a function there and thought it would be a nice weekend. Should have saved our money and got a taxi home.
Can I get the breakfast refunded?

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear CHEBS1,

I hope to hear from you soon.