“Going that extra mile”

Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Going that extra mile”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

After trying to book into this hotel after a full day in Manchester it became obvious to us that we had made a mistake with our booking and had booked for the following day. A very easy mistake to make. However the staff went out of there way to get this booking amended not an easy task at the booking was made through booking.com a third party and they proved very difficult to contact. However the staff persevered and managed to find us a wonderful room for the night and get the booking adjusted. They didn't have to do this for us but they went that extra mile and I am very grateful. The breakfast in the morning was very good with lots of choices and the staff here were also very friendly. A great hotel with first class staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear Tigerlily258,

Thank you for writing a review of your stay at The Midland, it's great to read such lovely comments about the service you received and the perseverance of our front office team. I will pass them onto the Front Office Manager and her team on reception.

I hope to welcome you to the hotel again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hertfordshire
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I stayed at The Midland for a 3 day conference at Manchester Central. The hotel is excellently located for both Manchester's conference centres, the city centre and rail stations.

The first impression of the hotel is one of faded glory. This is echoed in the bedrooms. Lovely high ceilings but a touch up of the plaster and paintwork wouldn't go amiss. The bedrooms are relatively comfy and spacious but suffer from having only single glazed old windows which means there is a fair bit of street noise and steamed up windows in the morning. There are also no net curtains which would be helpful for privacy.

Check in was poor - just two people on the desk despite it being a busy conference day. Room service also wasn't great - cereal but no milk and some us toasted bread. I can' comment on the restaurants or other facilities which I didn't use.

Overall not bad but at £155 a night it could do better.

Dear MnsrLarousse,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I'm pleased that you found our location useful during your stay.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your experience overall, I will pass your constructive comments onto the relevant teams and ensure that improvements are made where possible.

Lancashire
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The friendly welcome from the doorman set the tone for our stay. Arriving early, it was no trouble to store our bags and have them in the room for when we returned from a late lunch. Check in staff were great, and had remembered us when we did return. Bags were in both rooms as promised. Rooms are a good size, very nicely decorated, comfortable bed. They even managed good pillows and the ability to alter the room temperature - it's not always the case even in 'good' hotels!! Breakfast was somewhat disorganised, but better than our last stay - a little work would sort the overall experience here. Valet parking was perfect, but is a little expensive - but to be fair an NCP would not be cheap either. Oh, and having booked well in advance we got a very good room rate too. Would certainly stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear hanif,

Thank you for your review, it's lovely to read some great comments regarding the service you received and your room.

Munxar
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

A group outing in a great city has to stay here. It is clean, spacious, well organised with close ( but expensive) parking. Food great and rooms well furnished and supplied. Walking the corridors is also an education with local history dotted all over.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Michael W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay, I'm pleased to read such great comments describing the hotel as clean, spacious, well organised.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The hotel is located close to everything, the room I stayed in was very comfortable, and the staff very helpful and friendly. My room was also properly cleaned every day and the concierge could point me to everywhere I needed to go with very simple explanations. Also, my luggage was delayed and the staff took care of checking its status with the air carrier, which was very helpful.

The only downside I could find of the hotel was the breakfast. Service was not speedy and the overall quality of the food was not what I expected of a hotel of this quality. The first day, coffee was only served when I was done eating and after I approached a server twice. The second day they ran out of cheese and ham and it was not replaced for the 30 minutes it took me and a friend to have breakfast. The third day, cold cuts and cheese were not even available. The fruit was kind of tasteless every day and the menu was very monotone. Definitely an area that could be improved.

Dear sgivigi,

Thanks you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay, I'm pleased to read that you were happy with the cleanliness of your room and the service which you received from our front office team.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with your experiences at breakfast, I will pass your feedback onto our Food and Beverage manager who I'm sure will take it on board and make improvements where possible.

Machynlleth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Arrived via the train and got a taxi to the hotel.
The staff were so welcoming and friendly. Check in was easy. My room pleasent with all one would expect from such a hotel.
Had a great nights sleep - the bed was so comfortable i didn't want to get up!
Had breakfast down stairs - a buffet affair - good choice. Had a bit of a wait for tea or coffee, had to request it twice but to be fair it was a busy morning. Toast was a hassle as had to make your own & with so many waiting i didn't wait.
The hotel is fairly central for shopping - the tram is just across the road.
Bar prices were steep esp the at table service charge - wouldn't use the facility again as they got the bills mixed up too!
Check out was simple - all in all a positive hotel experience and will stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear ChimesMachynlleth,

Thank you for your great review of The Midland, I'm pleased you found the bed so comfortable and our location suited your needs.

I will pass your kind comments onto the rest of the team here and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

birmingam
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My company booked myself and colleagues into the Midland as we were featuring at The North Beauty Show at GMEX. From the moment I arrived I was stressed due to being late, getting lost and unable to find a suitable place to park. I called the hotel and they arranged valet to take my car keys, and park my car, allowing me to check in, leave my luggage with concierge, enabling me to get to the Show which was conveniently located seconds from the hotel.

It was great to be able to literally fall into the hotel following a stressful day. Staff are all extremely professional. The girls on reception are cool, calm and collected despite being bombarded by inpatient guests, concierge and valet are uber professional, one guy in particular went over and beyond the call of duty for me, wish I remembered his name.

After a hectic work schedule a rushed back to Birmingham only to find myself locked out of my apartment as I had somehow left my keys in my room. I called up to see if my keys had been handed in with security from housekeeping, and got through to Joe (my hero) who took my details and went to look in lost property. Joe promptly called me back as he had located my keys, and arranged for my keys to be sent to me special delivery, without a charge. HE saved the day as they are the only set I have!!! THANK YOU JOE and all the staff at The Midland. For being professional. friendly, happy and for making my stay 5 star. Oh and the rooms and yummy breakfast were fabulous too. 10/10 at every level. I LOVE Manchester and will definitely be back to this hotel. I am unsure why this hotel is 4 star. It gets 10 from me

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thomas S, Guest Relations Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear jodiejo2013,

Thanks for your fantastic review of The Midland, it's great to read how happy you were with the service you received and I'm sure Joe will be very pleased with your comments when I pass them on. I will also pass your compliments regarding the service, rooms and food onto the rest of the team.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.