“Wedding venue and honeymoon stay at the Midland”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We decided to plan our wedding reception at the Midland earlier this year and the wedding was two weeks ago. From start to finish both my husband and I have been extremely impressed by the professionalism shown by the staff, excellent communication from start to finish and we absolutely could not fault the service. The hotel has an old charm grandeur, there has been some modernisation, however I don't think this distracts from its overall appeal. All the staff were friendly and helpful without being at all stuffy as you sometimes do find in large establishments. The co-ordination of our wedding was undertaken by Nina. Nina did an outstanding job of organising and co-ordinating our big day, she was so supportive and friendly and most importantly she listened to what our plans were and worked so hard in making them happen. The day went without a hitch. All of our guests commented on how fantastic the room looked (we hired the Lancaster Suite). The food was amazing..Nina had arranged for us to meet with the chef prior to us deciding on the menu and this was a great help to us. We along with some of our guests stayed over at the hotel for the weekend and everyone enjoyed it. The rooms at the Midland are really lovely. My sister used room service as did I and the response was very quick and efficient. Breakfast was very busy, but the staff handled it extremely well and the food was first class. The location for the Midland is perfect for shopping and sight seeing. I would definitely use the Midland for a special function again and we were so glad that we had chosen this venue to hold our wedding reception here, they really could not have done a better job. We have commented on a feedback form and gave our experience at the Midland 10/10. Thank you to all the staff that helped make our day so special. Massive thanks to Nina, you were brilliant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Debbi187069

Thank you for your excellent review of The Midland and for choosing us as the venue for such a special occasion. I'm delighted that you and your guests enjoyed your wedding reception and stay with and I offer you my congratulations and best wishes for your future together.

There are newer reviews for The Midland

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This is a very elegant hotel but we felt that its style and original grandeur had been lost somewhere along the way.
There was quite a long queue at check in which was a bit irritating but maybe we were unlucky with our timing.
We considered dining in The French restaurant as food reviews had been so good but checking out the ambiance from the doorway made us decide to dine out. What could be a beautiful room had been 'modernized' in a very tacky way with cheap looking chairs and tables and a hideous wood grain effect carpet. We had a much better feel about the restaurant we ended up in not far away.
Booked a superior room which was very pleasant - although a bedside table would have been helpful to put a glass of water on.
What surprised us most was the really poor service levels from such a hotel. We came back from our night out (well before midnight) and decided to have a nightcap at the bar. We couldn't find any member of staff anywhere in the vicinity despite looking and couldn't even see anyone in the small staff area to the side of the bar. We just gave up.
The next day we decided to have an Afternoon Tea in the octagon room. The sign invited you to wait to be seated, which we did. After 5 minutes of waiting, no member of staff was anywhere to be seen so again I had to go look for someone. I still couldn't find anybody. By then there was a small queue of people similarly wondering where the staff were hiding.
When eventually we got our table, the service was just slow and poor and a little grumpy.
There are much better hotels in Manchester these days - one is only 50 metres away where we stayed last time.
It's such a shame for this beautiful building to be wasted by poor service.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Mike D

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Midland. I apologise for the poor service which you describe on the lounge and will ensure that your comments are shared with the lounge manager in order for this to be addressed with the team.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Beautiful hotel & room but disappointed being awoken at 4.30am by traffic/train noise. Apart from that excellent stay & value for price paid. Would have also appreciated blinds/ net curtains as flats opposite could see into room.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Heljosdevon

Thank you for your review of The Midland. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I was a late arrival for an evening dinner and to my horror had a stain on my tooth. I asked at reception for a toothbrush and was given a quality toothbrush set. When I asked how much I owed - I was told I owed nothing.
The evening started with a good drinks reception and the quality of the food for over 400 people was excellent. The food was hot, tasty and no one was kept waiting.
Care and attention were at the top of the hotel staffs' game.
The drinks were a bit pricy and it seemed odd not to be able to charge drinks to your room - drinks had to be paid for at the table.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Antelope0206

Dear Francesca0260

Thank you for your review of The Midland. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that the team here offered such great service for you. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Stayed on Friday 6th September 2013 for our wedding night and had the most wonderful experience ever. We were automatically upgraded to the Master Suite which exceeded all our expectations. On arrival, the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We were not delayed and all the reception staff were polite, pleasant and genuinely interested in our well-being. We were allocated room 255 on the second floor at the front of the hotel and WOW perfect. We were greeted with a bottle of champagne on ice and a lovely 'wedding day' card from Debbie and Richard from reception. The suite was magnificent and provided everything we could want on our special day. Wished we had booked for the weekend. Would highly recommend staying at the Midland. My husband and I have stayed in many lovely places but would definitely say The Midland beats them all hands down. Breakfast was wonderful and even to our checking out the staff could not have been more helpful asking if we wanted to leave our bags at the hotel while we wandered around the city. Thank you Midland for a memorable and wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front have a view of St Peter's Square
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear disappointedx2

Thank you for your review of The Midland and for choosing us for your wedding night. I'm delighted that you had such a wonderful stay and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Kind regards and congratulations,

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed here a number of years ago & found the hotel to be pretty good , we recently went for a quick escape and I felt a little disappointed by our stay.
We booked to eat in the restaurant, which was very quiet that evening, in fact very quiet!!
the waiter was a friendly chap, very obliging but unfortunately for him the rest of the evenings service was a step back. Our starters , mains arrived on time but unfortunately we waited for an absolute age to get more wine, the sweets no one showed any interest at all. At this point I walked towards a young waiter who had being doing nothing for the previous ten minutes other than chat up the bar staff at the opposite side of the restaurant, now this could be forgiven if the restaurant was large, but that is not the case here. I advised him that for the last twenty minutes that no one had attended to our table, we had empty glasses/bottle & our plates need removing.
Within a few minutes we had received an apology & were then served, the head waiter then offered the next drinks free of charge( very nice , but a little too late in the day)
We ordered breakfast in the room to fit in a thirty minute slot, but here again this was missed, so we gave an extra 15 minutes to show a bit of flexibility , but still nothing. So we called reception who said they would look into this & get back to us, guess no surprise another 15 minutes & again no phone calls or room service. I rang again to be told that they were sorry but they had been very busy & would deal with it straight away. Eventually breakfast arrived & along with someone to clean the room at the same time, priceless.
School report would say, nice enough place, just more attention to detail if you would like people to return

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear sunnycroft31

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Midland. I'm sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations and I can assure you that your feedback will be shared with the relevant teams to improve the service which we provide.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Tiny swimming pool, not suitable for more than 6 people.
No Tea or Coffee served with my breakfast, even after making a complaint to the head waitress.
Breakfast tables were for 2 or 8, so if you're in a family of 4 you're expected to share.
If you pre-authorise your debit/credit card and don't use it, it can take a while before this hotel releases the money and it becomes available in your bank account again as I have found out to my cost.
TV remote didn't work in one of the rooms I'd booked. Sky Sports but no BT Sport available in the rooms.
On the plus side, the kids enjoyed the table tennis in the leisure centre.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear C J

Thank you for your review of The Midland. I'm sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations but can assure you that your feedback will be shared with the relevant teams.

Kind regards