“great overnight stay”

Ranked #14 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
lancashire, England
“great overnight stay”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

arrived 11 July for one night stay, for the theatre. Nice greeting from the doorman who opened the door for us, then off to reception, treated extremely well by the receptionist and were asked if we needed a special needs room (hubby registered blind) and if we were not happy with the room, to let them know and they would change it. Room excellent (115) only moan about this is the sound of the trams at night honking the horn! , but not the hotel's fault. All staff at different levels friendly and welcoming and helpful. A special mention to Amanda in the leisure club as she could not do enough for us, the service was EXCELLENT. Overall, we loved our stay and were sorry we couldn't book for longer! Can't comment on the food as didn't eat in the hotel.

Room Tip: don't have a room at the back of the hotel due to tram noise
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear Saulty1

Thank you for your review of The Midland following your recent stay. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated and I hope that you and your husband had an enjoyable stay and return to visit again soon.

Michael Magrane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bordeaux
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I travelled to Manchester with my mother for my son's graduation. The hotel was very accommodating. We had a handicapped accessible room and there was more than enough room to move around. The hotel itself is a bit dated but very charming and clean.
For me the highlight was the pool and gym area. They have one of the nicest leisure areas I have ever seen.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear DecanterTours

Thank you for your review of The Midland. I'm delighted that you and your mother had such and enjoyable stay and I hope you and your family enjoyed your son's graduation.

Irvine, California
Reviewed July 13, 2013

As The Midland was recommended by a conference I was attending in Manchester, I made a reservation for four nights for myself and my fiancé through the conference's recommended travel provider, Visit Manchester. I reserved one room for four nights. I've never made such a substantial mistake in selecting a hotel. Since then, I have been overcharged by 35% of the actual amount due to the hotel, been threatened with an additional 3% transaction fee, and had to fight tooth and nail to have my money refunded; 140 GBP ($220) still has not been returned to my credit card.

Here are some details in case you are interested:

At the time of booking, I was puzzled to see that a charge of 15 GBP ($23) per night was being assessed for my fiancé in addition to the room rate, as this seemed rather greedy and is non-standard for a second guest (as opposed to a third or fourth), but there didn't seem to be anything I could do about it. This was strike one against the hotel.

Upon check-in, I was informed that a 3% fee would be assessed if I wished to pay with my American Express card due to a new policy that was instituted after my booking. I was never informed of this policy before arriving at the hotel and voiced my opinion that it was unethical to charge such fees without properly informing guests beforehand. At that juncture, the receptionist, Bernadetta, became extremely rude rather than politely accepting my feedback or responding to my concerns in any substantive way. This was strike two against the hotel.

I was happy to later speak with a different staff member who understood my concerns about the credit card fee and was able to waive the charge. Unfortunately, however, our problems didn't end there. After we checked out, I read the fine print on our bill and realized that we had been charged for both accommodations and *breakfast* and that the 15 GBP additional per night that we had been charged for my fiancé was the charge for his breakfast. The only problem was that at no point -- either during our booking or during check-in -- were we informed that we were entitled to breakfast and would be charged for it. As a result, we dined out every morning and incurred significant additional expense; we never once ate at the hotel. When I informed the hotel of this problem, it took nearly a week for someone to agree to refund the breakfast charges, and Bernadetta lied in writing about the information she had given us on check-in, attempting to claim that she had told us we were entitled to breakfast when she absolutely had not. Although the extraordinary hassle required to secure the refund (including approximately three phone calls and four emails) made this strike three against the hotel, I was relieved to have finally settled everything. Or so I thought.

A few days later, I discovered that the Midland had made an additional 140 GBP ($220) charge to my credit card without my authorization during the middle of my stay. They are claiming that this charge is a no-show charge equal to the price of one night at the hotel and that it is for a separate reservation made for my fiancé to stay in a separate room. Although I only made one booking for the hotel and listed my fiancé clearly as the second guest staying in my room at the time of booking, the hotel is attempting to claim that they are entitled to charge me the 140 GBP as compensation for the "cancellation" of this bogus reservation. I may have to take legal action against the hotel as a result of their refusal to refund the fraudulent charge.

In short, if you want to be overcharged by more than 35% for an already expensive, tiny room and waste hours of your time on emails and phone calls to an organization that lies to you in writing and refuses to accept responsibility for its mistakes, by all means, stay at The Midland.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Suzanne H
Dear Suzanne H

Thank you for your feedback and may I apologise that your stay and subsequent experience with The Midland has not been to your expectation. I am concerned by the issues which you have raised and would like to investigate these further. I am currently away from the hotel but would ask you to please contact our Hotel Manager, Yann Guguen on 0161 236 3333 or at yguguen@qhotels.co.uk, at your convenience, to discuss your experience further and allow us the opportunity to investigate and resolve this matter.

Manchester
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I booked this room using frequent flyer miles so I can't comment on the value for money. But, with the exception of it overlooking an inner quadrangle, everything about our superior room was fantastic. The bed was huge and extremely comfortable. The bathroom was clean with a decent shower and some nice toiletries provided. The room was spacious and well furnished. The TV was a little small and looked old but we didn't use it so it didn't bother us. We'd indicated in the comments section of our booking that we were celebrating an anniversary and found a card and a bottle of wine waiting for us in the room.

The hotel is well located for the centre of Manchester. Breakfast was not included in our particular package so my wife sent me out to get breakfast from Starbucks which is just across the street and cost about one third of the hotel breakfast.

The receptionist was very friendly when I checked in but we didn't have any contact with staff apart from that.

Overall, if you can get a good price, we would definitely recommend the Midland.

• Stayed July 2013
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Dear ManfromManchester

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Midland. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and can also confirm that we are in the process of updating our TVs to an interactive Smart TV system which will be installed over the next couple of months.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kidderminster
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed over in July 2013 for a conference which was held at the hotel. Excellent hotel situated in an ideal place in the city centre. Facilities within the hotel are excellent and the staff very friendly which gives it a "homely" feel. The only gripe i would have is that the bar prices are a bit on the steep side - £8.40 for a standard glass of wine!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Rob W

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Midland. Your comments and feedback are appreciated and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Man
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Booked the hotel for a very special occasion some months ago for a family member . Decided to pay extra to book a junior suite as wanted a really nice room. Did request a nice room/view if possible at time of booking.

Very grand hotel on the outside. First impression of hotel foyer/reception area was a bit disappointing. Appeared to be setting up for a conference and didnt appear very inviting. At check in I reminded the receptionist that we had requested a nice room if possible. She did say we wouldn't be disappointed with the room.

Given sixth floor. Carpet on this floor looking really faded .

Junior suite room was a real disappointment. Old looking sofa in the sitting area, looked ready for the skip. on closer inspection had a couple of stains on it as well. Overall look of the room was not as I expected it to be. Very small television in the bedroom area, none in sitting area.

Went back to reception to express disappointment, and was shown another room. This was much better in terms of newness of furniture, but extremely restricted view due to outside brick around the windows.

Did not want to make a further fuss due to the special occasion and not wanting to spoil the rest of the day.
Bathroom clean enough but door was damaged at the bottom due to probably steam over the years.Cheap plastic kettle to make tea.

Staff very friendly and helpful and was advised breakfast really good standard.

Did speak to the duty manager next day who did listen and accepted feedback with grace and offered an upgrade if we were to visit again.

Overall great location, lovely staff, but not worth the money for junior suite unless offered at reduced price

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear PRJ

Thank you for your review of The Midland and please accept my apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectations during your stay. I'm pleased that your were able to speak with our Duty Manager prior to leaving the hotel and that your feedback has been received. I will further discuss the issues you have raised regarding the bedroom with our Head Housekeeper so that these can be addressed if they have not been reviewed already.

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hotel itself is ok, the place feels like a standard characterless conference hotel in terms of main reception, decor and rooms. It does have a great location though, with quick access to numerous places to visit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Malefacent

Thank you for your review of The Midland. I'm disappointed that you feel the hotel is characterless as this is not a word often used to describe this iconic hotel but as you say, our central location is ideal for access to the city.