“Very Comfortable”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #12 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have recently spent a couple of nights at this lovely hotel. My wife and I were attending a conference in Manchester and decided to stay here. The building is lovely very grand and seems to be maintained to a high standard. The welcome we received on arrival was genuine and we had immediate offers of help with the numerous items of luggage. Check in was quick and we were soon in a lovely room on the second floor. Although we looked out onto the street which was fairly busy and had trams passing on a regular basis I was surprised that there was hardly any noise from these. The room was very comfortable and light with a high ceiling. The room was furnished with high quality furnishings and was most comfortable. The bed looked quite new and was very comfortable if slightly firm but this suited me well. The food was not exceptional but certainly good, breakfasts excellent choice of most things to suit everyone. The main thing to be said about the hotel as you will no doubt find from other reviews is the incredible friendly but professional service of all of the staff It was clear that they really did want their guests to enjoy their stay. They were not just saying it as in so many hotels. Overall a really good weekend here. Thanks to all of the excellent staff they are a credit to the Midland and Manchester.

1  Thank colmworth
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Colmworth

Thank you for your review of The Midland following your recent stay. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Michael Magrane

Write a ReviewReviews (5,315)

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went for afternoon tea on a Sunday afternoon in May and overall the experience was good. The most disappointing thing was the placement of the afternoon tea tables which for the majority were not in the octagon lounge itself but next to it. The general impression was that you were sitting in an area that forms part of the lobby rather than in a separate lounge style seating area. The main reason for this is I guess that the octagon lounge is quite small & also that the seating arrangements; sofas & squashy chairs etc. are not very afternoon tea friendly.

The selection & quantity of sandwiches seems quite meagre to start with but actually they were more than adequate as when scones & a range of cakes arrived we were unable to finish them all. The bread was a bit dry but it was the end of the afternoon & otherwise they were very nice. The tea was loose leaf with a proper strainer (hurrah!) & the scones were good quality, as above there were more than enough in the way of cakes although I probably would have chosen lighter styles but the waitress kindly boxed them up so we could take them home. We also had a glass of champagne which was very nice; some house champagnes can taste very "economical" but happily this didn't.

The staff on duty were very friendly & helpful, although we were initially charged incorrectly this was sorted out without any fuss.

All in all it was definitely a positive experience but my lasting impression was that the surroundings just didn't do the hotel justice. Maybe if we had chosen to sit in the rather dark octagon lounge itself it would have felt more like a real quintessential afternoon tea, as it was it felt rather odd to be perched over the edge of the lobby unwittingly people-watching guests checking in & out just because we happened to be facing that way. It reminded me a bit of being in an airport. I would definitely go back to the hotel, just not for the afternoon tea.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear 4seasonsin1day

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the Afternoon Tea service at The Midland. I'm sorry that you did not enjoy the seating arrangements at the time of your visit; seating for Afternoon Tea is either throughout the Octagon Lounge or in the Wyvern restaurant, dependent on numbers and other events taking place in the hotel. If you choose to visit us again for Afternoon Tea, you are welcome to request a preference for your table location and we will do our utmost to accommodate this.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Just back from the midland had a short stay took in a show Dirty dancing which was great fun hit the shops and used the restaurant i can honestly say this is rare place as soon as pull up outside your transported to a peaceful haven in a stunning building its in great location looking out on the recently restored central Library. The staff are a great helpful and approachable as for the bar and restaurants staff they top class even breakfast is a treat a failing in many of the hotels we have stayed in but not here huge choice and good quality . Parking is close by NCP or my choice just a little further down Bauer Millett garage its better value and you can even get you car cleaned while its secure parked or of course they have full valet service at the door too looking forward to our next stay so we can try the French

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Row36

Thank you for your excellent review of The Midland following your recent stay. I'm delighted that you had such an enjoyable visit and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. If you are planning to dine in The French on your next visit, I do recommend booking as soon as you can as Friday and Saturday evenings do fill a few months in advance.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

attended a conference here, stayed one night. Very luxurious, nice pleasant staff, good pool although small. Lunch, dinner, tea and coffee breaks - food excellent. Breakfast: the hot meal looked good, but disappointing cold meat/cheese selection. The meat was all fatty salami or processed fatty ham. Ordinary ham slices would be nice, plus a low-fat cheese option.

Great Wi-Fi that works.

Waiting staff at dinner: 1) I really do not like having the waiter interrupt my conversation, take my napkin off the table, unfold it with great ceremony and slowness and spread it over my lap. I actually find it creepy. I'm an adult and well able to manage my own napkin, thank you.
2) When dinner was over, four of us at our table stayed on, chatting and enjoying ourselves. We were constantly interrupted by the waiting staff who had obviously been trained to stand to attention, say "excuse me, madam/sir", wait til they had your full attention, enquire "may I remove your xyz?", and then do it. They did this separately for your plates, coffee cup, milk and sugar set, salt and pepper set, spare glasses, napkins and sundry remaining cutlery etc. It was incredibly annoying and intrusive. The alternative is a nice, friendly person who comes once and says "I can see you are enjoying a good chat. How about I take all the clutter away form around you and then you can continue enjoying your conversation?" They could then remove everything at once to the other side of the table and take away separate items at their leisure.

Waiting staff at breakfast: Half-way through my breakfast, when I went up to get some bread, the waiting staff over-efficiently removed my just-poured-out hot drink, my napkin and my own personal jar of barley-cup, despite the fact that the table was still clearly occupied as I had left my conference folder on it also. It took quite a while to track down my barley-cup jar, and get replacement hot water and milk.

A little less efficiency and rules for the staff and a little more thought and humanity would go a long way.

Dear C B

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Midland.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and I thank you for your comments relating to the service at dinner and breakfast. I will share these comments with our Food and Beverage Manager so that they can be highlighted with the team to improve our service.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Midland Hotel ticks all the right boxes in terms of a great place to stay when you are visiting Manchester. NCP parking is just across the road and this is the nearest hotel to the Manchester Central Exhibition Centre.

The Manchester Hotel is a huge impressive intricate building with character. It is majestic and timeless and has been here a long time. Upon arrival you immediately know that you are going to experience something very different. Although part of the Q Hotels brand it has retained its traditional values and Manchester heritage.

The hotel lobby, seating areas and bars on the ground floor have an open Victorian grandness that looks classy and expensive and certainly would be if you had to try and construct this kind of building today. No less impressive are the marble walkways on each floor and of particular interest some of the old customer letters in their picture frames in the communal areas of the hotel.

The rooms are classic and yet warm and welcoming with tasteful design and attention to detail. The rooms are comfortable and equipped with everything that you need for a comfortable stay. The wi-fi in this hotel works properly and is provided free of charge for guests. Check in was fast and efficient and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

The breakfasts are very good and visitors have an excellent choice of continental or cooked English. There is nothing really to fault about this hotel. They seem to have everything covered.

This is definately a good place to stay and worth paying that little extra for a truly quality experience by a hotel that has had years and years to perfect its service to its customers whilst at the same time keeping up to date with the modern visitors needs. Faultless really. What more can I add.

Dear Tavakli

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review of The Midland. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Hotel is superb and everyone was very helpful. The NCP parking was only a two minute walk away. Thought the cost of the room service was a little high for some very basic sandwiches but, i did order them at 23:45! The melon at breakfast was a little hard but i did have several other courses of the buffet that were superb. Neither was enough to drop the rating though.

Room Tip: We didn't pick a specific room and i don't think you would have a problem. Rooms were a nic...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear Derren W

Thank you for your review of The Midland following your recent stay. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night as part of my hen do. We got a great rate (thanks to a friend having contacts at the hotel) and I was really looking forward to my stay.

After a flustered journey to get to Manchester (having missed my booked train) we jumped in a taxi which took us straight to the hotel. Check in was a bit haphazard - I wasn't sure what name my room was booked under (as I hadn't booked it) so I gave her 1 of 2 options (there were 2 rooms booked). Well it seemed to be a totally confusing concept.. She finally found the booking but then entered me under the wrong name. The girl who was assisting us then walked away (for a break I presume) half way through checking me in and then someone else came over (slightly more competent) to finish the job. We finally got booked in the right rooms under the right name.

Room was lovely, nice and large with a good sized bathroom. I had a twin room (sharing with another 'hen') but the beds were pushed together as if it was a double.. We didn't bother to move it as I didn't want an injury - the beds looked heavy. It was very comfy though.

I didn't sleep that well as the room was very hot and the bed had a big thick quilt on it. There is air-con but I don't like sleeping with it on.

Breakfast next day was fine - I asked for a table of 6 so we could all sit together - again a concept that confused the staff as my room was a booking for 2... Got a table but tea and coffee took ages to arrive. Breakfast itself was a buffet style all you can eat. Quality was great and a good start to the day!

Check out was painless (thankfully) and I probably would return if I got the cheaper rate.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Tootsephine

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland following your recent stay. I apologise that your experience did not entirely meet your expectations and I will be addressing the issues which you raised with the relevant teams. I hope that these issues did not detract from your overall experience, as your rating suggests, and that you enjoyed your hen do.