“Midland - mostly good”

Ranked #14 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Dublin, Ireland
“Midland - mostly good”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

attended a conference here, stayed one night. Very luxurious, nice pleasant staff, good pool although small. Lunch, dinner, tea and coffee breaks - food excellent. Breakfast: the hot meal looked good, but disappointing cold meat/cheese selection. The meat was all fatty salami or processed fatty ham. Ordinary ham slices would be nice, plus a low-fat cheese option.

Great Wi-Fi that works.

Waiting staff at dinner: 1) I really do not like having the waiter interrupt my conversation, take my napkin off the table, unfold it with great ceremony and slowness and spread it over my lap. I actually find it creepy. I'm an adult and well able to manage my own napkin, thank you.
2) When dinner was over, four of us at our table stayed on, chatting and enjoying ourselves. We were constantly interrupted by the waiting staff who had obviously been trained to stand to attention, say "excuse me, madam/sir", wait til they had your full attention, enquire "may I remove your xyz?", and then do it. They did this separately for your plates, coffee cup, milk and sugar set, salt and pepper set, spare glasses, napkins and sundry remaining cutlery etc. It was incredibly annoying and intrusive. The alternative is a nice, friendly person who comes once and says "I can see you are enjoying a good chat. How about I take all the clutter away form around you and then you can continue enjoying your conversation?" They could then remove everything at once to the other side of the table and take away separate items at their leisure.

Waiting staff at breakfast: Half-way through my breakfast, when I went up to get some bread, the waiting staff over-efficiently removed my just-poured-out hot drink, my napkin and my own personal jar of barley-cup, despite the fact that the table was still clearly occupied as I had left my conference folder on it also. It took quite a while to track down my barley-cup jar, and get replacement hot water and milk.

A little less efficiency and rules for the staff and a little more thought and humanity would go a long way.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear C B

Thank you for your review following your recent stay at The Midland.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and I thank you for your comments relating to the service at dinner and breakfast. I will share these comments with our Food and Beverage Manager so that they can be highlighted with the team to improve our service.

Michael Magrane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (840)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Turkey
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The Midland Hotel ticks all the right boxes in terms of a great place to stay when you are visiting Manchester. NCP parking is just across the road and this is the nearest hotel to the Manchester Central Exhibition Centre.

The Manchester Hotel is a huge impressive intricate building with character. It is majestic and timeless and has been here a long time. Upon arrival you immediately know that you are going to experience something very different. Although part of the Q Hotels brand it has retained its traditional values and Manchester heritage.

The hotel lobby, seating areas and bars on the ground floor have an open Victorian grandness that looks classy and expensive and certainly would be if you had to try and construct this kind of building today. No less impressive are the marble walkways on each floor and of particular interest some of the old customer letters in their picture frames in the communal areas of the hotel.

The rooms are classic and yet warm and welcoming with tasteful design and attention to detail. The rooms are comfortable and equipped with everything that you need for a comfortable stay. The wi-fi in this hotel works properly and is provided free of charge for guests. Check in was fast and efficient and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

The breakfasts are very good and visitors have an excellent choice of continental or cooked English. There is nothing really to fault about this hotel. They seem to have everything covered.

This is definately a good place to stay and worth paying that little extra for a truly quality experience by a hotel that has had years and years to perfect its service to its customers whilst at the same time keeping up to date with the modern visitors needs. Faultless really. What more can I add.

Dear Tavakli

Thank you for taking the time to post such a fantastic review of The Midland. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The Hotel is superb and everyone was very helpful. The NCP parking was only a two minute walk away. Thought the cost of the room service was a little high for some very basic sandwiches but, i did order them at 23:45! The melon at breakfast was a little hard but i did have several other courses of the buffet that were superb. Neither was enough to drop the rating though.

Room Tip: We didn't pick a specific room and i don't think you would have a problem. Rooms were a nic...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Derren W

Thank you for your review of The Midland following your recent stay. Your kind comments are greatly appreciated and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

England
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night as part of my hen do. We got a great rate (thanks to a friend having contacts at the hotel) and I was really looking forward to my stay.

After a flustered journey to get to Manchester (having missed my booked train) we jumped in a taxi which took us straight to the hotel. Check in was a bit haphazard - I wasn't sure what name my room was booked under (as I hadn't booked it) so I gave her 1 of 2 options (there were 2 rooms booked). Well it seemed to be a totally confusing concept.. She finally found the booking but then entered me under the wrong name. The girl who was assisting us then walked away (for a break I presume) half way through checking me in and then someone else came over (slightly more competent) to finish the job. We finally got booked in the right rooms under the right name.

Room was lovely, nice and large with a good sized bathroom. I had a twin room (sharing with another 'hen') but the beds were pushed together as if it was a double.. We didn't bother to move it as I didn't want an injury - the beds looked heavy. It was very comfy though.

I didn't sleep that well as the room was very hot and the bed had a big thick quilt on it. There is air-con but I don't like sleeping with it on.

Breakfast next day was fine - I asked for a table of 6 so we could all sit together - again a concept that confused the staff as my room was a booking for 2... Got a table but tea and coffee took ages to arrive. Breakfast itself was a buffet style all you can eat. Quality was great and a good start to the day!

Check out was painless (thankfully) and I probably would return if I got the cheaper rate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Tootsephine

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland following your recent stay. I apologise that your experience did not entirely meet your expectations and I will be addressing the issues which you raised with the relevant teams. I hope that these issues did not detract from your overall experience, as your rating suggests, and that you enjoyed your hen do.

CHEDDLETON STAFFS
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Attended concert in Manchester stayed overnight at the Midland,excellent service,great room and very helpful staff.wished we had booked more nights.Hope to return later in the year.The staff on reception made us feel so welcome and the gentleman who stored are luggage for us was a delightful person.
Gill &Alan Nixon
Staffordshire Moorlands England.

Dear Mr & Mrs Nixon

Thank you for your excellent review of The Midland. I'm delighted that you had such a wonderful stay and I hope that you enjoyed the concert also.

I hope we can welcome you back later this year.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Superb hotel - great service and staff who really know how to take care of you / make your stay easy. The restaurant was excellent, with the waiter remembering my name and preferences from one night to the next - I felt like a person not a number. The concierge was very well run and valet parking was perfect. The gym staff were very helpful - all in all, a perfect stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Brienze

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland Hotel. I'm pleased that you had such a great stay and your comments relating to the high standards of individual service we provide are greatly appreciated.

I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

birmingham
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Have wanted to stay here for some time, so took advantage of Q hotels rate and made hotel itself the centrepiece of our weekend , and it did not disappoint . We had a superior room which was huge with a separate lounge area , Massive bed and TV with limited channels but did have Sky Sports 1 - a bonus for me. Room on 6th floor with view over city ( although window was a bit high ) . Busy weekend in hotel , wedding , hen parties etc but we heard no noise.
The reception area and hotel exterior are truly iconic.
We had fantastic deal with dinner in Wyvern included on 1st night- this was high class food and great service . Breakfast was also very very good , wide choice and plenty of room , also weekend brekky until 11 which was nice and relaxed. Unfortunately The French was fully booked on Sat( looked lovely ) but hotel is a short walk to restaurants and shops for days shopping and evening out.
NCP car park very close (£18.50) a night , well lit and secure . Also very close to Deansgate out of rear entrance and AMC cinema.
Service very good throughout the hotel from Tom at check-in to Steven in the Wyvern, also cleaner didn,t take tip when left for her( left it again when leaving)
Really hard to fault although my wife said hairdryer a bit weak!
Will definitely return - well done all.

Room Tip: Pay for a superior room , you won,t want to leave it - and ask for a high one with city view.