attended a conference here, stayed one night. Very luxurious, nice pleasant staff, good pool although small. Lunch, dinner, tea and coffee breaks - food excellent. Breakfast: the hot meal looked good, but disappointing cold meat/cheese selection. The meat was all fatty salami or processed fatty ham. Ordinary ham slices would be nice, plus a low-fat cheese option.
Great Wi-Fi that works.
Waiting staff at dinner: 1) I really do not like having the waiter interrupt my conversation, take my napkin off the table, unfold it with great ceremony and slowness and spread it over my lap. I actually find it creepy. I'm an adult and well able to manage my own napkin, thank you.
2) When dinner was over, four of us at our table stayed on, chatting and enjoying ourselves. We were constantly interrupted by the waiting staff who had obviously been trained to stand to attention, say "excuse me, madam/sir", wait til they had your full attention, enquire "may I remove your xyz?", and then do it. They did this separately for your plates, coffee cup, milk and sugar set, salt and pepper set, spare glasses, napkins and sundry remaining cutlery etc. It was incredibly annoying and intrusive. The alternative is a nice, friendly person who comes once and says "I can see you are enjoying a good chat. How about I take all the clutter away form around you and then you can continue enjoying your conversation?" They could then remove everything at once to the other side of the table and take away separate items at their leisure.
Waiting staff at breakfast: Half-way through my breakfast, when I went up to get some bread, the waiting staff over-efficiently removed my just-poured-out hot drink, my napkin and my own personal jar of barley-cup, despite the fact that the table was still clearly occupied as I had left my conference folder on it also. It took quite a while to track down my barley-cup jar, and get replacement hot water and milk.
A little less efficiency and rules for the staff and a little more thought and humanity would go a long way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Midland hotel in Manchester is an iconic Grade II listed building. The hotel oozes luxury, comfort and style, and enjoys a history that leaves other Manchester hotels out in the cold. The hotel is famous for it's fantastic architecture and the building's characteristic style continues inside, where you'll find opulent decor, rich fabrics and shimmering chandeliers. The hotel has 312 spacious, stylish bedrooms to reside in and is conveniently located in the heart of Manchester city centre. The hotel is ideal for both leisure breaks and a superb venue to hold a conference or event. As for your dining experience - four AA Rosette, award-winning restaurant Adam Reid at The French, winner of a number of reigional and national accolades is perfect for that special occassion or important client. Similarly, 2 AA Rosette restaurant Mr. Cooper's House & Garden offers a fantastic a la carte menu of seasonal dishes. For leisure guests The Midland is conveniently situated near to theatres, museums and of course the fabulous array of shops in the city centre. If you are here on business you'll be pleased to hear that The Midland has 14 conference and meeting rooms which can hold up to 700 people. The Midland also offer free internet access to all guests and delegates. After a busy day of shopping or stressful day in the meeting room, enjoy relaxing in the award-winning The Spa At The Midland which is home to a private gym and relaxation pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Midland reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Midland Hotel Manchester
- Midland Hotel Manchester
- Midland Manchester
- Hotel Manchester Midland