“Vintage”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed over the midland for only one night. I have to say that I always loved the hotel from the outside, I just got really impressed by the size and the old look. Finally stayed over and the ground/reception floor was extremely posh, big and well decorated. It gives you a sudden idea of classy old style. So is the spa, nice swimming pool, with Jacuzzi on the side. Saunas are separate though, one in each dressing room. The room was also nice even though I wouldn't associate it to the ground floor impression. The ceiling is very tall, nice curtains and big bed. The furniture was a bit odd (a wobbly wooden cabinet with a tiny minibar in it. The TV quite small and somehow it doesn't match with the room style. I also have to say the 2 out of 4 pillowcases were dirty, evidently dirty. I don't like to search things and point out so I tried not to pay attention on the rest of the bed. The view wasn't great either, it was facing the inner courtyard, where theres a glass frame through which you can see the reception. I actually enjoyed the stay, there's a nice painting on the wall behind the bed, showing some roman-style columns. Colourful pillows, two tables and two chairs, big wardrobe. I would recommend it overall, it's just not the classy elegance you may expect.

Room Tip: The view on the road rather tha on the internal courtyard can make the difference on the stay
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Francesco M

Thank you for your review of The Midland. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend the hotel. However, I am disappointed to read your comments regarding the pillowcases and ask if you can please contact me at cwoods@qhotels.co.uk to advise of the date which you stayed and your room number so that this can be investigated with the Housekeeping team.

There are newer reviews for The Midland

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I was booked into the Midland Hotel for my retirement evening. My secretary had put on thebottom of my booking that it was a special occasion, and when my wife and I arrived, I was asked what the occasion was. We were upgraded without saying a word to a beautiful room and within half an hour a bottle of wine and a best wishes card arrived from the Reception Team. Working in Manchester but living outside the area, I have stayed at the Midland on quite a few occasions, and since the refurbishment this hotel has to be one of the best for comfort and value in the North West. From the Concierge Team, Reception Team, House Keeping, and Bar and Restaurant Staff, the service is excellent and a credit to the hotel management.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed here as on a work conference.
Polite & efficient reception staff.
Even meal for delegates was excellent qulaity, considering c 200 guests.
Rooms spacious with robe and a very comfy bed. Not normally a good sleeper in hotels, but this was one of the best nights sleep away from home.
Breakfast was buffet style but fresh and tasty with additional items to order eg omellette & poach eggs. Good selection of hot and cold and drinks.
Used the gym which was very good and quuite busy even at 6.30 am.
Having stayed at the Marriott - Albert & Victoria recently in Manchester - this was far better and ideally located.
Will stay here again if in Manchester.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear RusikC

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland following your recent stay. Your kind comments and recommendation are greatly appreciated and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed at The Midland hotel in Manchster for one night while on business in early June 2013. Booking through my companys account means we are usually allocated a smaller or cheaper room, but my room at The Midland (I think it was 601 or 603?) was massive, with a huge king size bed and seating area. The bathroom was very clean with a nice powerful shower. The only issue I had was that I couldnt find a room service menu anywhere in the room....but thats a minor point.
The lobby/check-in area of the hotel was very large and grand, and the desk staff were very helpful. A friendly gentleman greeting visitors at the front door help add to the sense of grandeur and old-style class.
Despite being located on a busy main road I didnt have any problems with traffic or pedestrian noise, and the excellent free bus (line 3) that runs around the city centre stops very close to the hotel.

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this hotel for either business or leisure visits to Manchester.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear Tarff

Thank you for your excellent review of The Midland. I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your recommendation.

I hope that we can welcome you back to The Midland in the future.

Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

The Midland is a beautiful hotel with first rate facilities and a great city centre location.
Our room was massive with two double beds, a lounge area, a hall and a large bathroom. There were plenty of mirrors and electric sockets which are often lacking in hotel rooms and the lighting was good. The beds were so comfy I didn't want to get up in the morning!!
Breakfast was about average but, in my opinion could be improved by the addition of freshly squeezed orange juice - preferably in larger glasses!!
We had a great stay but there were a few niggles which I don't really expect in a hotel of this standard:
Check in was very slow. A wedding party was arriving at the same time and two staff members on check in wasn't enough. I wouldn't have minded if anyone had acknowledged the wait but the welcome was cursory.
We booked a room for three people but it was only made up for two which means I had to request extra amenities. There was also a grape on the bedroom floor which I'm sure was just an oversight but doesn't inspire confidence in the housekeeping!
Annoyingly, the television was broken and had to be removed and replaced. This could have been done immediately to save us inconvenience but instead a very nice gentleman spent about twenty minutes trying to fix it!
All issues were rectified professionally and with apologies. Check out was very friendly and my niece was given an activity pack which was a nice touch but which I imagine she should have received at check in!
The leisure facilities were great and the staff member on duty there was charming.
I'd recommend The Midland but I do think they need to up their game a bit and get some of the basics right as they're missing a chance to be a great hotel rather than a good one.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Sorellina

Dear Sorellina

Thank you for leaving a review following your recent stay at The Midland. I apologise that you experienced a few issues during your stay but I am glad that we were able to rectify these for you. I will ensure that your comments are shared with the team so that the issues you raised can be addressed and used as a training tool to improve our service.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay overall and thank you for your recommendation. I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst away with work.

Really nice place. Can't fault the hotel one bit.

If you're going to Manchester stay here and try to blag an upgrade to a master suite. It was lovely.

If you're driving the parking is a bit of a hike so drop your bags off first before walking back.

Room Tip: Master suite on corner.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RovingCamera
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

Dear Roving Camera

Thank you for your review of The Midland. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at The Midland in order to attend an event in central Manchester so, first of all, it's worth noting that the hotel is ideally located for the city centre and also has a taxi rank just outside the entrance.
The moment you enter The Midland, you can't help but be impressed by the obvious professionalism of the organisation as well as the dimensions and relative grandeur of the building. The check-in staff are extremely efficient and friendly, as are the serving staff. We stayed in a twin room on the fifth floor which was extremely clean, stylish and had all the facilities most guests would want. It was by no means a large room but the ceilings are high, as one might expect for a building of this era, and the bathroom (which had a bath as well as a good power shower) was a good size. The beds were very comfortable, though some of the bedding was ripped. We had a room overlooking the inner courtyard which was so peaceful it was difficult to imagine we were in the centre of Manchester.
The breakfast in The Colony room offered quite a wide choice of food, from full English (which was self-service, so perhaps could have been a little fresher), a huge range of muffins and pastries and some continental options. The service here was also very good.
Overall, the Midland offers quality as standard - it's such a large establishment and does well to ensure that it does not feel impersonal.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Justine A

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Midland. I'm delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and your kind comments are greatly appreciated.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.