“Good enough for Mr Rolls and Mr Royce - Good enough for me!”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #14 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Good enough for Mr Rolls and Mr Royce - Good enough for me!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Famous then for the historical business meeting between Mr Rolls and Mrs Royce (1904) and still a well deserved reputation for excellence now almost 109 years later! We stayed for one night whilst attending a concert ("Clannad", they were brilliant too!), just across the road at The Bridgewater Hall - Fantastic stay - Thank you to all the staff who were very helpful and highly professional. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in in a hotel. The Midland has a central location with plenty of excellent restaurants within walking distance if you don't want to eat in the Hotel itself. We ate at the "Halle Restaurant" in Bridgewater Hall and also in Jamie Oliver's Restaurant, both were excellent. The only minor drawback was the lack of hotel parking and the nearest parking was the Manchester Central NCP car park across the road, which cost us almost £19 for 24 hours with no hotel concession for guests - but I guess that's the price you have to pay for the city center location. We felt that our stay was very good value for money and we enjoyed it so much I think we will be planning a few more regular trips to stay here - There is so much to do in Manchester, it's GREAT!

Room Tip: Rooms are excellent but views aren't so great and are mainly of the streets - But to quote a fam...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oldilocks
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Oldilocks

Thank you for posting a review following your recent stay at The Midland. I'm delighted to read that you had such a wonderful stay and that the team here played such a part in that. It's also great to hear of your intention to return and I hope to see you here again soon.

Michael Magrane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 25, 2013

After attending a dinner dance at this wonderful hotel we decided last minute to stay over the staff were hugely accomodating and at midnight managed to find us a superb room. Having stayed in hotels across Manchester I have to say this is by far the best. We stayed in a beautiful room where the staff did everything to help. At 4 in the morning room service was quick efficient with a good range of food available and friendly staff to deliver it. The bar staff in the residents bar were helpful and provided us with superb table service.
At breakfast there was a big selection with a gluten free option for my partner which was fantastic.
Check out was easy quick and efficient.
Would definitely stay here and again and recommend it to anyone staying in Manchester.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Ciaramaloney
Dear Ciaramaloney

Thank you for your excellent review following your recent and unexpected stay at The Midland. I'm delighted that you were able to experience the fantastic service offered by our team as well as the hotel facilities. Your recommendation is much appreciated and I hope that we can welcome you back soon.

Oxford
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Stayed here with the familly for a wedding. Travel cot supplied by hotel, big room and all the facilities we could need for a 2 night stay. The swimming pool was empty first thing Monday morning, as we're the other leisure facilities. Helpful door staff to point us in the right direction. Parked in the public car park opposite which was handy if a little expensive at £40 for 2 days.
Would highly recommend for a stay in central Manchester.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank philcollins50
Dear Philcollins50

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland following your recent stay. Your positive comments and recommendation are greatly appreciated and I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

And do you know what nothing did!!!! We had a great meeting at this lovely hotel. Now I know my last review of this place was less than pleasing but this time with a huge meeting to deliver the team at The Midland pulled out the stops. 175 delegates for 2 days, 2 parallel sessions, dinner for 180 etc there was the propensity for it all to go wrong. However, all was good. The Ops Team were great, they gave us a bat phone and we could call as and when we needed them. The food was all delivered on time and the dinner on Saturday night was very good considering the numbers catered for.

Oh and they upgraded me and left me gifts in my room - not that I am shallow enough to let this influence me but hey they didn't have to.

Thanks Team - our initial feedback from delegates concurred with us as well. Great venue and next time we are considering Manchester you will definitely be on the list.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Siobhan W

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent visit to The Midland. I'm delighted that we were able to provide an improved experience than that of your previous visit and your positive comments particularly regarding the team and their service are greatly appreciated.

I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Cambridge, England
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed as a couple for a weekend, DB&B. You pay big money for this, and for sure the hotel is imposing. All the time I was thinking I could have stayed at Jury's 200 yards away for a third of the price, and was I really getting three times the value at the Midland? That's a subjective choice. Breakfast better organised than many large hotels now that everywhere does a buffet.

We were seriously displeased with the dinner arrangement. First of all the menu choices are very basic: steak, burger, fish and chips, pork belly. See their website; when we were there in March there were also Christmas extra dishes and a special Valentines meal. On the Saturday night there was a function on in a private room and the participants all foregathered in the lobby, so there was a huge hubbub just outside the doors to the restaurant where we were. In addition a live pianist was playing some kind of jazz piano, and also there was a female jazz singer on the piped music in the restaurant. Romantic? No not really.

Checking out there was a lunch charged that we had not had; that kind of thing happens, but the girl then spent ages fiddling through all the bar and meal slips I had signed looking for this one that didn't exist. We had a train to catch, and eventually she said, reluctantly, "I can't fdind it; the only thing I can do is cancel this one." Good idea!

I'm afraid it's Jury's next trip.

Room Tip: We had an upgrade for £15 per room per night (at the weekend). Seemed good value, but then we don...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Afterbrunel

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay at The Midland. I apologise that your stay overall did not meet your expectations. I can advise that following similar feedback we have increased the menu choice for dinner in The Wyvern restaurant. I will forward your comments with regards to your experience checking out of the hotel to the Front Office Manager. As you say, errors can happen but how these are handled are important and I believe this needs to be addressed following your experience.

I would like have the opportunity to show you the usual service which we pride ourselves on and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

East Yorkshire
Reviewed March 24, 2013

The Midland is a very elegant city centre hotel. Spent 2 nights here with 8 'girl friends' for a Hen Weekend. Our rooms were very comfortable with quality interior furnishings. Our bride and chief hen had a suite which we spend an evening in having a pyjama party following our beauty treatments in the hotel spa. The staff were very helpful at all times. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Emholdstock

Thank you for posting such an excellent review of The Midland. I'm delighted that you had such a wonderful stay for this special occasion and your recommendation is greatly appreciated.

I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Kind regards

General Manager.
St Helens
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Recently we filled a long held ambition to stay at the Midland The quality of the welcome was superb, what came over was that the staff are very proud of the hotel and love showing it off. The build ng itself is well worth seeing and the staff delight in showing off its more interesting quirks. Everyone from reception catering gym and security (Joe went out of his way to help) made our stay very special. If you want a memorable stay, stay here

Steve and Barbara Creghan

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stephen C

Thank you for your excellent review of The Midland following your recent stay. It is always wonderful to read that the team here have delighted our guests. As you state, they are proud of the hotel and it's history and like to share this with our guests.

I hope that we can welcome you back to The Midland in the future.