“conference stay”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I stayed at the midland for three nights whilst attending a conference. I found all staff from your lovely doorman to reception, restaurant and leisure staff helpful and friendly. The hotel was an ideal location being opposite the conference centre and central for the city centre. The hotel building was amazing I would liked to have had access to some of the history of the hotel. I will stay again the next time I visit Manchester.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Dear Jeanette D,
Thank you for talking the time to post a response following your stay at The Midland. It is always warming to read such positive feedback about the hotel and our team. Raymond, our doorman, is a great asset and true Mancunian, so really knows all about the heart of the City. I do hope you do choose to return to the hotel as I read that you would like to find out more about the history of the hotel. We are lucky to have our own Historian at the hotel, the famous, Barbara Frost, who gives tours of the hotel, front and back, and brings all the stories ,and there are many, to life. She has also written a book about The Midland which fills in any gaps she left on her tour (which is unusual!) I ask that you please contact us at cwoods@qhotels.co.uk, next time you decide to return and we will connect you with Barbara.
Thank you once again.
Michael Magrane.
General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,212)

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at this hotel to attend a conference at Manchester Central. The hotel is directly next to the conference centre so ideally located.

Easy journey to Manchester Piccadily Train station. You can walk which takes around 20 minutes or get the Tram which stops right by the hotel. £1.10 for a single.

The breakfast was hot and tasty. Good selection of hot and cold food. There was an option to get some items like eggs cooked freshly.

The only negative of this hotel was the equiptment in the gym. I used the gym both mornings and the machines are pretty dated. I imagine that the only users are hotel guests. It's fine for use a couple of times, but I would never consider using this gym on a regular basis and paying a membership fee to use.

I cannot comment on value for money/price as I do not know how much was paid by my sponsor. I would stay here again if I had business in manchester

Dear nosecondchance,

Thank you for your positive feedback on our hotel. We are in a fantastic location, as you noted, for Manchester Central; you almost fall out of the venue into our hotel, which does make a great difference when you are attending an event in a City.
We are presently drawing up plans for the development of our gym, which as you rightly point out, has all the facilities you need when you are staying at a hotel on business or pleasure, with the added benefit of a pool and squash court.
I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Michael Magrane
General Manager.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed here recently as we got married in the city centre, so myself and my husband stayed here as well as some of our family and friends. The hotel is such a lovely building, the service is top notch, the rooms are a bit faded opulence but all this adds to the special ambience of the hotel. Breakfast was amazing ! Tiny pool and jacuzzi and a decent gym area as well as squash courts and a beauty centre - all excellent.

Room Tip: We got a free upgrade as we were getting married.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear Honor1,

Firstly congratulations and I am very pleased to hear that you chose The Midland to celebrate with family and friends.
We are quite rightly very proud of our hotel and the history that ruins through every part of the building and it was pleasing to read that our service matched up to the surroundings.
I do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the very near future.

Michael Magrane

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Stayed many times before and its a lovely buidling and the staff are great. The bedrooms have seen better days and it gets so stuffy as in many of them as well as meeting rooms as you cant open the windows.

2  Thank Niall M

Dear Cromdale1

Thank you for your recent comments posted following your stay here at The Midland Hotel.
I was concerned to learn that you thought that our bedrooms needed a refurbishment. We have a dedicated maintenance team on site who are continually updated our facilities. I note that you have stayed with us before so ask that you contact us by emailing cwoods@qhotels.co.uk next time you plan to stay at the hotel so that we can oversee your arrangements.
As you know, the hotel is fully air-conditioned in all bedrooms, meeting rooms and public spaces.
I do hope that when you do return to Manchester that you do contact so that we have the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Midland.

MIchael Magrane

Reviewed March 14, 2013

I booked this hotel for a special occasion and was very disappointed for the money that I paid for the room; the general state of the room was tired and grubby, the carpet looked grimy, the arms of the armchairs were filthy and the menus and info cards in the room were greasy and dusty. The mattress also felt quite tired and worn. The bathroom was lovely, but the sink was very loosely fixed to the wall and felt like it might come off at any time.

I emailed with feedback when I returned but the email was never acknowledged.

Great location but otherwise very poor (and the bar is VERY expensive) which is a real shame as the building itself is stunning and it could be really fantastic if they put some effort in.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Freya C
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Cherry B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Midland. I was most concerned to read your comments, especially considering your stay was back in August 2012.

I was also concerned that we hadn't replied as we pride ourselves in the direct contact we have with our customers. Can I please ask you to therefore contact us at cwoods@qhotels.co.uk and provide the number of the bedroom in which you stayed so that I can review with our housekeeping team. As you will read from our feedback cleanliness is always reported as high at the hotel so of course this is an area I wish to review personally with my Housekeeping team.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I look forward to receiving your information.

Michael Magrane,

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Location is fantastic for manchester centre, a couple of minutes walk from the train station and into the main shopping area. Hotel was beautifully decorated throughout, a mix of old fashioned elegance and modern. The room (standard) was lovely, with a large comfy bed.
Cleanliness was good overall, but there were fingerprints on the back of the bathroom door.
If I had to be picky, I would have liked bathrobes to be provided, but that's hardly a hardship. All in all a lovely stay - will definitely choose the midland again.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Bevieb
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Beautiful hotel, friendly, efficient, central, late bar for residents. But check is 3pm and there's no way to organise and early one. Early flight so had to sit around from 9am to 1:30 even though I had emailed a request beforehand. Free Wifi, printer, good television channels.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2013

Dear Alison B,

Thank you for your positive comments about our hotel.

I was concerned to learn that you were unable to arrange an early check in. I will be speaking to the team about this as we should have been able to offer some assistance especially after an early morning flight; I know how that feels!

I hope we are able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future, what ever the time you arrive.

Michael Magrane,