“Full Marks for Afternoon Tea Celebration”
Review of The Midland

The Midland
Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

It was my wife's special birthday so I arranged a champagne afternoon tea at the Midland for 9 members of the family including my 2 and 5 year old grandaughters. It was absolutely superb! Beautiful food, classy presentation and charming service where nothing was too much trouble. At approx £25 per person it was also excellent value. I have always gone out to dinner or lunch for family celebrations, but this was a real treat. My grandaughters loved it too. Thanks to Dawn and her staff who helped organise this. We shall return very soon!

• Stayed: February 2013
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear MrChipsManchester

Thank you for your excellent review of your Afternoon Tea at The Midland. I hope that your wife enjoyed her birthday celebration and I look forward to welcoming you back the hotel soon.

There are newer reviews for The Midland

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Room 316, 11 February 2013.

A grand style old building, with history.
As you can imagine, that means that the layout of the building is not uniform. As I found with room 316, it has had much alteration since it was originally built. That means it is now a rather odd "T" shape. In part the wall bears down on the bed, leaving liitle space while to my right, a large rather unusable space.
Single glazed windows, so there is some traffic noise - mainly the hoot of the trams.
Tea and coffee facilities, good size and rather modern bathroom with plenty of hot water.
TV with some Sky and movies, not the biggest or best of TV's in this day and age.

I did like the wide hotel corridors, with half marble on the walls (see picture)

French Restaurant closed for renovation. The lobby and bar area are nioce, but rather cold lighting (these modern energy efficient bulbs?)

Helpful concierge sorted me out with directions and very good receptionist at check-in.

With a better bedroom, perhaps I would rate it higher.
Crowne Plaza Manchester normally less money than this, is a better bedroom experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Dear Expectant Customer

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Midland and I apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. As you quite rightly state, due to the age and history of the hotel, each of our rooms are slightly different in size and shape and noise is generated from the city centre. However, we do have internal facing rooms which still benefit from natural daylight but overlook an inner courtyard, if you choose to stay with us again, I would recommend requesting one of these rooms as they do offer a quieter alternative.

I hope that your recent visit does not deter you from returning to us again in the future.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Checked in and were allocated our rooms at midday (although we had not expected to be in before 3 pm). Check in was quick and efficient, staff were very helpful. Room was lovely, bed very comfortable, great shower and bath facilities. An ice machine outside lifts on second floor an added bonus. Went for a swim, jacuzzi, and sauna and these were very pleasant, as was the receptionist. Breakfast was very good with fresh pink grapefruit, and other freshly prepared fruit to make a tasty fruit salad. Staff in restaurant were so helpful, and really looked after us. Another plus for the restaurant was they stocked marmite-my favourite, and did a very good poached egg besides a great fry up. Cocktails were a real luxury and served by very nice and attentive staff. Hotel within easy access to theatres and some very good restaurants, and a few minutes walk to the shops. Checkout quick and efficient. It cost £18.40 for 24 hours parking in car park behind hotel. Overall a great hotel, quiet, staff friendly and helpful. Will be my first choice of hotel next time I stay in Manchester.

Dear GEL529

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at The Midland. I'm please that you had such an enjoyable stay and that we are your first choice in Manchester. I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Afternoon Champagne Tea with friends was a treat for my recent special birthday. On a bitterly cold day I arrived at the hotel before any of the others and was made to feel welcome and at ease . Our " tea" was delicious. The friend who had booked it had not mentioned I was vegetarian ( tip- do!) and the waitress insisted on getting me my own plate of sandwiches when I said this. I would have quite happily just had the veggie ones from the other plate and it was kind of them . The scones,jam and cream were divine. I couldn't manage anything else from the assorted cakes - though most of the others did. As a special treat and a great way to spend time with friends in gorgeous surroundings- I can recommend it.

Dear Pam482011

Thank you for your excellent review. I'm delighted to read that you were so well taken care of by our team and I hope that you had a wonderful birthday..

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I was at the hotel for a hen weekend and couldnt fault the hotel in any way. The staff welcomed my group of excitable ladies with a warm smile and check in was smooth and well organised. I had toyed with upgrading my room for a superior but I am glad I didnt as room 251 was extremely spacious and comfortable with a clean and spacious bathroom with lovely toiletries and a hot shower. The beds were big and comfortable and I had an excellent nights sleep which was nothing to do with the alcohol I consumed. It seemed a bit of a trek to the elevators but nothing I couldnt handle. The elevators were fun especially when you had to guess which way the doors would open when you had reached the floor you wanted. Breakfast was tasty and plentiful and a big shout out/goes to all the staff in the restaurant especially my fav Elisabete to which nothing was too much trouble. The leisure club was sufficient, the gym equipment needs up dated but there was plenty of cardio equipment. The pool was slightly small but the jacuzzi was a lovely temperature. We also made use of the sauna. On check out day my group had to wait 2 hours until our lift back home arrived so we parked ourselves in the hotel lounge/bar area all looking like we had been dragged through a hedge backward but the staff made sure that all our needs were accommodated for especially the large jugs of iced water!!! I would definitely stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Mmagrane, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear Melanie H

Thank you for your excellent review and kind comments about our staff which I will ensure they are made aware of. I'm glad that you and the other 'hens' had such a wonderful weekend and I hope that we can welcome you back to The Midland in the future.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Stayed Friday 8th February 2013 for one night to celebrate my wife's Birthday. From the moment we got there to leaving the day after, the staff couldn't do enough for us. Room was great; service was professional and unobtrusive and breakfast, though busy due to it being weekend, was very nice. Would recommend the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: room 550 was great!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear DamoR_13

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland and for recommending us. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and hope that your wife enjoyed her birthday celebrations.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have used the Midland Hotel for countless business meetings and I still get a buzz of excitement when I approach the magnificent building and enter the elegant reception area.

A great ambience, good food and great service make this a must whenever I travel to manchester.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Ollie39

Thank you for your kind comments, it's great to hear from such a fan of The Midland and I hope that you continue to visit us long into the future.