“Return visit, but maybe Management getting complacent”
Review of The Midland

Ranked #13 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed January 6, 2013

A visit to The Midland is a highlight for us and my reviews in the past have been glowing. However, when I book a room for 3 people I should not have to request an extra cup/towel/gown etc. These should be in the room. It's the small things that make an impression and on this occasion I felt let down. Maybe time for me to try pastures new and compare! On the plus, concierge were fantastic as usual. We had visit to Palace Theatre and would recommend staying at the Midland if you want somewhere close by. Just 5 minutes walk away.

Room Tip: Higher floors better if you light sleeper, I find 3rd floor loud from road noise.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 123viper123
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear jackobeno,

You're quite right in that it is ALWAYS the small things and that 'especially attentive' attention to detail that makes all the difference and I can't understand why we missed the third set of items for your room.

Please let me know personally when you are booking next as I will make sure we get back to standard as I am very confident that when we do get everything just so there is no one better in the City at the art of Hotel delivery. All backed up by a marvellous building and a fantastic team!!

Thank you once again for your kind feedback as it does help us to ever improve.

There are newer reviews for The Midland

Reviewed January 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed on Sunday 30th December 2012 to celebrate my wife's birthday the next day. I phoned the hotel in the morning, prior to our arrival and asked for the Champagne and chocolate package for our room which was sorted with no fuss at all. Whilst ordering the package I received a free upgrade on our room, which was a lovely surprise ! The staff were very polite and booking in took no time at all, we were a little early so had a drink, when we had finished I went and asked if our room was ready, we were given the key and told our bags had already been taken to the room, great service.
The room was very spacious and clean, it had coffee and tea making facilities and still water, due to the upgrade we also had bathrobes. We had a great nights sleep, no noise and very, very comfortable bed.
The breakfast was very good, basically anything you wanted. I asked for poached eggs and my wife had an omelette, both were cooked to perfection ! their is also a choice of cooked breakfasts which is buffet style.
Booking out was as easy as booking in.
We had a really good time and would definitely return.
Thank you to the staff and for the upgrade.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Darren,

What a really nice review thank you and of course we look forward to your return.

So pleased that the team excelled in all areas.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I returned this afternoon from The Midland. This was my third stay in the last two years and as always it has been a pleasure to stay in the hotel.

We stayed in the hotel as part of my daughters 16th Birthday weekend which involved seeing The Lion King at the Palace Theatre and lots and lots of clothes shopping!!! My daughter was overjoyed to return from a shopping expedition and find a birthday card and a selection of cakes left in our room on behalf of the hotel. A special thank you to the concierge Tom (I think that was his name) who organised it when I mentioned it was my daughters birthday. It is little touches like this which make me want to return again and again to the hotel.

The majority of the staff are really friendly and understand the importance of good customer service. A special thank you to Beverley from the Colony restaurant with whom we had several lovely conversations with during our three night stay and to the other concierge(whose name I did not catch, but I do know he has only been working there a short time).

I also appreciate the high level of cleanliness maintained within the hotel. The Housekeeping service is excellent in my opinion and I cannot fault how well they kept our room clean.

I would highly recommend this hotel and look forward to a further stay soon

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Beautyaddict08,

Many thanks for your continued loyalty and on this occasion the time taken to review The Midland and for all your kind words they are appreciated. I will pass on your review to the team including Bev, Thomas and our Housekeepers as they do try always to do their very best which I am so pleased that you have highlighted.

As always we look forward to your return.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Midland a few nights ago and did the same last January. We booked again because last year it was amazing, couldn't have been better - 10/10. This year I would have to say 8/10. We booked a superior room this year....it was the same as the room last year virtually. It sounds picky but they did have a lot to live up to. The pillows and duvet in our room were not great to be honest, there were a few stains on the floor and a chair and the TV stand had obviously been pulled forward to hide something. Our room was situated next to the tramline meant a disturbed nights sleep.Would have asked to change rooms (due to this last point) but we arrived back very late and by the time we realised there would have been little point in changing then (and I do understand you cannot fit double glazing to a building of that age). Bed very comfortable though.

The price of drinks in the hotel bar; I'm sure we used the bar last year but I don't recall paying £13.00 for a glass of wine and a pint of Guinness. I came back from the bar laughing, but in fairness those prices are little bit on the silly side. I was in Dublin the week before and a round was cheaper there!

Other than that, everything else was great - the gym is one of the best hotel gyms going and even every bit of equipment imaginable and a kick-boxing bag. Special mention to Kieran who works in the gym, very knowledgeable and friendly - a great asset to your gym.

The breakfast........this was make or break and it certainly made it! Fantastic yet again.

All in all, we will return next year, but ask for a room on the right hand side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Be aware which side of the hotel the tram-line is on if this is likely to disturb your sleep.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Xplosiv,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland and for your feedback. Believe me we want every guest stay to be as memorable as the last and for all the right reasons so we'll be looking into your concerns and getting them back to standard.

Thank you once again and all the very best for 2013.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed at the Midland for New Year's Eve and attended their black and white gala dinner. The food, service and entertainment were superb. We had a fantastic evening. The bedroom was excellent and the whole experience made our New Year very special.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear SusieQte,

Thanks so much for your kind words and comments they are appreciated and we're so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us at such a special time.

We look forward to your return.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights the first weekend in October for a friends civil partnership, and the whole experience was a really lovely one Thanks to the Staff and great ambience of the Hotel .The Hotel organised the Day for our friends and everything went Beautifully and everyone was made very welcome. Our Rooms were very comfortble and bright and airy the Bathrooms were Very Clean and modern and the Food was very good. There is a lovely atmosphere in the lobby area by the Bars where we congregated with friends and family after the function.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Jacqui,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland and for all your kind words about your stay and the event that you were attending.

It goes without saying that we look forward to your return sometime soon.

All the very best

Reviewed January 4, 2013

We attended the New Year's Eve Ball at the Alexandra Suite in Midland Hotel and enjoyed the evening very much. I didn't know what to expect with the 4 course dinner, but I do know the food in the Midland hotel is good. I have dine in the French brasserie and the Colony and never been disappointed. Although, I have stayed in the hotel some previous New Year's Eve before but never actually attended the Ball in the hotel.

I am glad we did since we enjoyed the whole experience very much. The food was great. I love the starter, the main meal is beautifully cooked ( beef was just right) I know the people in my table are all very happy with the food and service. The desert is good and creative, although,it would have been nice if the malakoff that came with the coffee are a little generous since they were delicious.

The music is good and the entertainment is great. The band were fantastic and although it is a little old for my taste, I did enjoy the music and everyone had fun. We will be going to the Ball again this year. We are actually staying in your hotel in April for a family wedding and looking forward to it. Thank you for the wonderful evening and for the very friendly staff.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Corina,

Thanks so much for your kind review and so pleased that you enjoyed yourself at our New Years Eve Ball and that you will be rebooking.

The Midland prides itself on its food quality and service and I'd like to thank you for letting others know.