“Satisfied, but not overwhelmed”
Review of The Midland

Ranked #14 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Satisfied, but not overwhelmed”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I stayed at The Midland at the beginning of October for one night ... having moved here from another hotel nearby. I did this to experience the historical gem known as The Midland, even though it was a bit out of budget for me. On the one hand, I thoroughly enjoyed the winding hallways, the historic details, and simply being there. It's a charming hotel, and similar to the historic Canadian National hotels that populate my home country. I had an aunt that stayed in similar hotels in Canada - the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa and the Queen Elizabeth in Montreal - and I thought of her while I was here. On the other hand, however, the hotel seemed a bit dated around the edges. My room, at the back of the hotel, had a carpet that was a bit worn, a stained bed cover that I felt compelled to remove immediately and put into the closet, and a hairdryer that didn't work. The room felt more like a servant's quarters, and perhaps it had been at one point. In its defense, I have to say that it had the biggest loo I've seen in my travels through the UK ... almost as big as the bedroom, itself, and very updated (that's important to me). So, while I'm not sorry to have stayed, I'm not sure that I would repeat experience at the price at which I was charged.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank A2redhead
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear A2redhead,

Thank you for staying at The Midland and for taking the time to review us. First of all I can say that we've never had servants within the hotel but staff very early on in our history were accommodated here.

Our ambition is always to exceed expectations so I'm disappointed that we didn't wow you in all of the aspects of your stay this time and so if ever you are planning to return to Manchester please let me know so that we can achieve that level of satisfaction on that occasion as that will be our challenge.

I hope you enjoyed your time in England and that you returned safe and sound to Michigan.

Thank you once again for your time and kind feedback.

The Midland

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Wigan
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Excellent break. This was our second time at this hotel. We stayed again because we wanted a quality relaxing stay and this hotel ticks all the right boxes. Also this time we wanted to visit the MOSI which was only a 5 minute stroll away. We didn't have dinner in the hotel as there are many good restaurants in the area. Well satisfied.

Dear ReginaldPerrin,

Thanks so much for your kind comments and review and on your next visit we'd be really impressed if you booked into one of the two best restaurants in Manchester: The Legendary 'French' or The Wyvern Bar and Grill as the quality of food and service is at least as good as anything else in The City and you don't have to leave The Midland to enjoy either of them.

Many thanks once again for all your kind words and we look forward to your return.

Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay with my husband to celebrate his 42nd birthday and first time away without our two teenage sons!!!!!
It was a fairly last minute booking due to illness but I feel we got an absolute bargain. I booked the shopping package which included breakfast both mornings, a three course meal in The Wyvern and £50 House of Fraser vouchers.
The hotel oozed class but was so friendly. The staff were extremely welcoming throughout the hotel and obviously proud to work there. Our "standard" room was lovely and characterful, clean and comfortable. The location is superb and I love the history of the place.
The meal in The Wyvern was absolutely delicious (and without sounding pretentious, we do dine out at some fine restaurants regularly).
We combined our stay with a trip to the MEN (Michael McIntyre) and some early Christmas shopping..........................all so very convenient to get to on foot from the hotel. Taking away the cost of the meal, breakfasts and vouchers, the room rate was astonishingly low and much less than we would have paid at the "budget" hotel across the road.
Needless to say, we will be back very soon.........with our teenagers in tow...............to visit the Christmas markets. Thank You.
P.s I have never written a review about a hotel or holiday before........far too lazy usually!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Melanie C,

Many thanks for your kind review it is appreciated and so pleased that we looked after you and your family so well.

We look forward to your return.

Kind regards and thank you once again

Runcorn
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived at The Hotel to begin a family day out in Manchester starting with afternoon tea at what we consider to be one of the most iconic Hotels in Manchester.

Unfortunately the lift up to the afternoon tea area was broken and my husband who is a wheelchair user was therefore unable to get their.

The Hotel Staff were fantastic, especially the Manager (sorry didnt get his name) we were taken to another restaurant within the Hotel were we treated to a beautiful afternoon tea, the Manager was so apologetic and really took a great deal of interest in us, he went out of his way to make sure we had a memorable visit to The Midland and that we were not inconvenienced at all.

We will certainly be coming back to The Midland in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Fernwood02
Dear Fernwood02,

What a lovely review thankyou. I'm sorry that there was a problem but delighted that what Neil offered as an alternative helped to deliver a very satisfactory outcome. Please let me know when next you are planning to visit us as I'd like to make sure you get to see this magnificent building in all its glory and at the very least visit our Octagon Lounge which in itself is a real treat.

Thank you once again for your kind understanding and for letting others know that even when we have something in the way of being able to deliver perfectly our great team will do all that they can to minimise the impact.

Kind regards and I look forward to meeting you in the near future.

Pasul Bayliss MBE
Winchester, UK
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed one night here in July 2012. This is a pretty big hotel in a pretty central location. On entry, you'll find lots of mirrors and highly polished brasswork and marble. It looks very nice. The rooms themselves are what you expect for an older hotel though. It can be a bit of a trek from reception to get to your room.

Once in, the bed wasn't that comfortable, the air-conditioning was clearly set up by someone who was looking to see if they could freeze Nitrogen, so use it sparely as you will get very very cold! Bathroom OK, but bath on the small side for me. I didn't dine or have breakfast when I was there, so can't comment, but it's an OK place to stay, just not my first choice in Manchester.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear MikeHall1970,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind comments it is appreciated. I would be delighted to see you return and partake in one of our food offerings as we do have an excellent reputation as a great all round hotel and although I am a little disappointed that we've failed to exceed your expectations I can assure you that we'll work hard with your feedback to ensure we get back to our usual standards including getting our Maintenance team to take a look at the Air Conditioning system in the room that you used to see if there is a problem with it.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write about your experience with us.

Kind regards

Cumbria
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed with a colleague on Thursday evening, attended a conference at the hotel on Friday and then my wife joined me for Friday and Saturday nights. There was confusion when booking as I'd been quoted one rate for a superior room and then when I called back a few minutes later to confirm there were no superior rooms available, only standard and the rate had gone up! I was then told superior rooms were just larger rooms with king size beds and didn't cost anything to upgrade to, irrelevant now, as they had all been allocated. I booked the standard rooms and called back again, a few days later, as I had not got email confirmation of my booking as promised. Apparently it was sent to the wrong email address; this was after I had spelled it out to the lady dealing with my reservation at the time and she had commented about my name!
Anyway, the hotel is well situated in Manchester and very convenient for Oxford Road station. The hotel is huge, and so, as this is a very old building, there was a great discrepancy, size wise, between my colleague's room and mine (leading me to believe that she had been given a superior after all, even though she was only staying for one night!) So, after some confusion at the reception desk, I was allowed to transfer to the bigger room once it had been cleaned after my colleague had left it.
My wife and I were pleased with the hotel overall; it is very grand in parts and some areas, particularly the Dining Room for the French restaurant, which reminded us both of the Ritz Hotel in Paris, where we stayed several years ago. The hotel also provided for the conference well, as it has lots of different rooms available. We were both disappointed with breakfast; the service isn't great (except for one lady, Beverly, who is very friendly and seems to do all the work.) Having to make your own toast and scrape the butter from a central tub, did not feel right in such a grand hotel with a wonderful history. (Hitler so liked the hotel that he wanted to make it his British headquarters should he have won the war, and Mr Rolls met Mr Royce here etc. etc.)
On the Saturday night there were two weddings and a joint, fancy dress, birthday party taking place so it was very noisy and busy. We decided to go to bed early but, even on the fifth floor, we could hear the noise and feel the thudding of the music. (I reported this at reception on checking out, when asked if everything had been ok and the Receptionist seemed surprised but did apologise.)
I'm glad I stayed at the Midland, but probably won't stay again as, for the price, I feel there are better hotels in Manchester.

Room Tip: 521 was the bigger of the two standard doubles I had.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear GaryCumbria,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for feeding back a detailed commentary on your experience it will help greatly in helping us improve. I'm aware already of some of your concerns so please be assured that I will be looking into them in more detail.

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

From entering The Midland....to the very grand reception area...the staff are welcoming and very helpful.I stayed in room 229,huge,beautiful,everything you could possibly need
I tend not to sleep terribly well when staying in hotels....not here,the bed was absolutely fantastic,linen and pillows were top quality....i slept for seven hours!!! a record for me..
Large bedroom and equally large bathroom,very comfortable and warm.
The shower is fantastic,very powerful,extremely easy to use too.The mirror area is very well lit.
Breakfast was excellent....the usual juices,fruit,cereal and toast ...also above standard buffet of cooked breakfast.
Lovely lovely hotel :O)

Room Tip: 229 is a corner room,very spacious
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear loubielou28,

Many thanks for taking the time to review The Midland and for all the aspects your great stay as it seems to have been delivered faultlessly especially when it comes to the comfort of our beds. We tend to get a lot of really positive comments about our beds but the truth is they are that good!

We look forward to your return, thank you once again.