“a superb conference venue”
Review of The Midland

Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed here two nights and overall the experience was excellent. The hotel is old but has been given a good, modern makeover, and my room was spotless, comfortable and quiet (124, at the end of a corridor, recommended). The best part of the hotel though was the staff who were delightful and who, on at least two different occasions, went out of their way to make my stay better. Downside? Not many, it is a big, corporate beast - but one that aims to be friendly... I wish all of them tried this hard!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Leonief,

Thank you for your kind words and for taking the time to review The Midland. It is a fabulous Edwardian Hotel and we know we are very lucky to be able to show it off but its ALWAYS a delight to read such positive comments about our great team especially when they go out of their way to exceed expectations.

Thanks you once again and we look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for The Midland

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a typical Victorian city hotel, solid and full of virtue. Many aspects of it are good. The large foyer is bright and welcoming and updated tastefully, and the check-in process is pleasant and efficient. The lifts are good and quiet. The corridors are quiet, but a little confusing due to the courtyard layout of the hotel.
My bedroom was a standard one, but still very large indeed. It was twin-bedded but each bed was a double. The bathroom was fairly small, but very clean and bright. There were two nice arm chairsin the bedroom. Some things however let the room down - some tired faux-antique furniture, for instance. Also, the television remote control would not start the television, and after a few minutes the TV kept reverting to the 'welcome page' I did not complain about this as I was only there for one night. Also the desk light did not work - ditto. On the plus side, there was a good supply of tea,coffee, bottled water etc, and the heating/air-conditioning worked well - and could be turned off to keep to down noise.
I did not have a full meal, but breakfast was of a very good standard - although I was asked three times if I wanted tea or coffee when I wanted neither.
The meeting facilities are mostly good for practicability and ease of use, but the corridors in which many are situated are dark and need brightening up.
The hotel is conveniently situated for shops, tram stop and so on, and would make a very good base for a weekend in the city. The staff were all polite and pleasant, and overall this seems a very good hotel - in need of a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland and for your kind comments and feedback.

In opening I was really pleased to see how highly you've rated us in relation to the rest of your hotel experiences. I can confirm that already I have had our maintenance team go up to the room that you occupied (260 but please could you be kind enough to confirm if its the wrong room) with a view to ensuring the light bulb and remote control battery has been changed; I'm sorry about that although our housekeepers do check daily so it may have been that both failed at the same time. We have also been undertaking work on our Media systems. Some of this work occurred during the night so we could further improve our free WIFI as quickly as possible and I believe it impacted in some way on our TV systems. Genuinely I can only apologise for that as we didn't believe that there was a cross over clearly there was in a few areas and so we have now learnt and will ensure it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for your comments about breakfast quality and I note also about you being offered tea and coffee too many times; ironically we identified staff interaction with guests as a weakness because comments were being made about a lack of it so in one way I'm pleased that its improved but on the other hand disappointed that you had to contend with too much so I'll ask the team to get their interaction just right as we want our guests to feel relaxed and comfortable and for our team to make the judgement call on this issue right on every occasion.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Spent one night here as had theatre plans in Manchester. Lovely hotel in a good location to the shops/bars and restaurants. Bar area very busy with a wedding so not much space for non wedding guests and the tables were cluttered and not cleared when tables vacated. Room was clean and bed really comfortable, asked for an iron/ironing board and it was brought to the room within minutes. Breakfast the next morning was busy but we did not wait too long in the queue and it was well worth the wait as it was delicious. The fire alarm went off in the middle of the night for around 30 seconds and nothing was mentioned at check out, an apology would have been nice just out of courtesy. Would definitely stay again when in Manchester.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lesley P
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Superarabs,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review The Midland and for all your comments about helping to make your stay in Manchester memorable. I have to say though that having the fire alarm go off is not something that we do to add to the experience but on a more serious note take on board fully that going forward if it ever happens again our team at departure should make mention of it and apologise.

That said I'm pleased that everything else was to your satisfaction and we look forward to seeing you back here in the future.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I attended an event held at 'The Midland' and stayed the night. The reception was welcoming and the venue was great ! Large and impressive full of history and grandeur.

The room was pleasant and tastefully decorated. The bathroom was clean and stocked with soap, shampoo and creams.

Breakfast was very good value although slightly tasteless :( However, the surroundings were again pleasant despite being very busy.

Room Tip: Great location for shopping and site seeing. Rooms were quiet and amazing pillows!!

Dear Dianaandco,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Midland and for your kind comments. I'd be interested to hear some more about breakfast and what we can do to further improve our guest experience and would be delighted if you could get in touch.

Many thanks once again

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed in this hotel as a "secret" hotel with last minute.com so we got a good deal of £85 with breakfast so in a way I feel I cant be too critical! However although the breakfast was delicious the room and the bed itself was quite tiny and the hotel in general has a tired look about it Im afraid.The pool is only small but OK and the "gym" looked as if there were just a few machines stored in the basement.Its a huge hotel and think it needs a bit of a refurb to compete with other hotels in the city centre.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear jewelspreston,

First of all thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind comments about our breakfast and I agree that you did receive a great deal for your stay. We work really hard on competing with the rest of the City Centre hotels and I suppose being rated 8th out of 121 hotels in Manchester indicates that we're thought of highly via the TripAdvisor forum but as with any business we're striving always to be the best and will only content when we get to top position.

Please be assured also that a significant amount of funds are spent annually on keeping this magnificent building going as well as on our refurbishment agenda but we are always looking for opportunities to improve upon what we offer and how we do it and your feedback will form part of this process in helping to identify future improvements.

The Midland .

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Friends and I booked the shopping break, great value. Had a lovely warm welcome. The hotel was very very busy with a wedding but we were still made to feels special. In our package we had evening meal, champagne, breakfast and 50.00 worth of shopping vouchers. Room was lovely on the 3rd floor. The only thing that did spoil our break a little was the 3 course evening meal that was included in the price. We should have had champagne on arrival when we enquired we were informed that we had already had it in our room. We had not so he reluctantly provided us with a glass. We sat down for dinner at 7.30, we had a taxi booked for 9.50pm as we had a table booked at the birdcage (great night there) thinking we had plently of time. The starters took over half an hour to arrive, then another big wait for the main. I had the bacon chop which was lovely my friends had the burger. when they cut into it it was raw in the middle on both of them. And I mean very raw. The waiter was called over and took the food away. I carried on with my meal and had finished another 20 minutes had past and no burger meals arrived, no information was being given by the staff. 30 minutes after I had finished my meal the meals arrived. It was very disappointing to have to eat my meal on my own and sit and waith for the others to finish. Not a good dining experience. Due to us having a taxi booked we had to rush the desert. It was a real shame that the staff in the restarant and the long wait for the food spoiled out otherwise fantastic stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear variod,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and I can see that you have planned to stay at a great hotel and then move on to another venue after dinner and encountered a misunderstanding with Champagne, an extremely long service and food not cooked to satisfaction all of which I can only apologise for.

Our ambience, rooms, our superb team and breakfast all managed to match your expectations and although I am pleased about those remarks the disappointment of not getting everything right for you and your party can only help in making us more focussed on achieving the levels of consistency that we are renowned for and so if ever you are at The Midland in the future please let me know so that we can ensure that stay is faultless for you.

Thank you once again and we look forward to your return

Reviewed September 22, 2012

I have used this lovely Edwardian hotel many times in the past and my experiences have always been good and very positive. Extremely polite and attentive staff who could not be more helpful and courteous. Spotlessly clean public and private areas. Beautiful architecture with first class facilities and a wonderfully warm and very welcoming atmosphere.
But a business event i went to there last night really was a terrible disappointment. As usual the staff and organization were marvelous but the food was another very very sad story. It started well with warm plates being used for the main course to be served on but the food on the plate really didn't look as though you would have wanted to eat any of it. Every one of the vegetables were undercooked and cold. What was served and described as "lamb" tasted and looked like a piece of ragged overcooked old mutton. Poor quality "meat" bought from from "butcher" who should have really known better then to supply any hotel with a product that should have gone into pet food and not served up to hotel guests to eat. I noticed many of the diners covering their their "meat" profusely with mint sauce! I understand now exactly why this had to be done. After such a disaster I was looking forward to the sweet course described as a "lemon tart" it was something any child could have prepared and served up again poor quality and very disappointing. Come on Midland Hotel! where on earth was your "chef" last night! was he away on holiday! or just not up to providing a reasonable meal for your guests.You really need to get your act together especially were your food is concerned and don't just rely on your past reputation.Hope you take this criticism on board because its really meant to be helpful and constructive for you especially your chef! and other potential paying customers thinking about dining with you.

1  Thank Roy H

Dear Roy187069,

First of all thank you for your kind comments especially for where we got matters right for you. I won't defend a poor experience and can only apologise if you left The Midland disappointed as we do have an excellent food service reputation that is commented upon regularly in the positive by our many guests.

I would be delighted to hear more about your Dinner so we can improve going forward. We only use the finest ingredients and source from the best available suppliers so this is a surprise; nevertheless our role and indeed ambition always is to delight every single guest with all that we do and I'm so sorry we failed on this occasion.

With the help of your feedback please be assured that we are already working on matching our usually excellent standards.

Many thanks again