“Lovely hotel, shame about spa facilities”
Review of The Midland

Ranked #13 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed December 19, 2011

My Fiance booked this hotel for us as a treat before Christmas. We chose The Midland as it had leisure facilities and we wanted to relax before hitting the Christmas markets. However we were very disappointed with the self professed 'superb leisure facilities'. The pool was small, not one you could really swim in and the saunas were in the male and female changing rooms separately so we couldn't relax together.
On a positive note, The Midland really is a grand hotel and staying at Christmas was really special. There is always a lovely buzz around the reception area as it leads to the bar area, where many people come to enjoy afternoon tea, and this stay was no different especially with the lovely big tree there.
All in all I would definately recommend this iconic hotel, as long as you aren't booking for the leisure facilities!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Della C
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2011

Dear Della M,

Thank you for taking the time to review us and for your kind words about our team and this great building. One of the challenges we have is the unique listing of it and although we are recognised as having the most comprehensive Hotel Gym in the City (including a squash court) the layout has to compliment the design about which you have kindly acknowledged.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to your return.

There are newer reviews for The Midland

Reviewed December 15, 2011

Excellent Service, Friendly staff and they always had a smile whatever the circumstances.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 14, 2011

I was taken to the Midland for lunch as a retirement treat. We had to ask 3 different people to please take our order. We then had to wait 1/2 an hour for it to arrive (2 sandwiches). We mentioned to the waitress who removed our plates (and brought our bill) that we had already ordered and were waiting for desert. This never arrived even though we asked 3 more waitresses to bring it (one even came back to confirm that we had ordered desert). 2 interesting points, the place was virtually empty and we counted 6 different waitresses serving (so they can't blame pressure of service) and secondly, we were charged for desert AND a service charge,

If this is the standard of service one gets from the Midland a question springs to mind - what are the inflated prices for? certainly not the food which was mediocre to say the least (well the sandwich was, can't say anything about the desert as we never saw it).

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank Colleen I
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2011

Dear Coleen I,

This doesn't sound at all like The Midland way of delivering fantastic food and great service to our guests so can I ask that you make contact with me personally at the Hotel so we can make amends. As you will see by our other reviews overwhelmingly we get it just right so this is a mystery and I shall look into the matter immediately.

Please call 0161 932 4062 and ask for myself and I will make it my priority to resolve the matter for you. Please accept my apologies however I'm certain we can turn you back into a supporter of ours.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 13, 2011

An overnight stay to take in the wonderful Christmas markets. Lovely room, Fantastic breakfast. This hotel makes you feel special while not stuffy a lovely stay

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Booked this last minute to treat my fiancée as we were engaged two weeks ago but I then had to go to India working for two weeks,.... Bad planning I know,...
Anyway, booked this on the Friday for a Saturday night stay, was recommended to me by a friend who works for late rooms so knows all the places in Manchester,...boy was she not wrong,....
Booked a superior room and asked for a bottle of champagne, got to the hotel and was greeted by possibly the nicest guy ever on check in (actually nice not fake smarmy nice) who told us we had a surprise in our room,... Gave us the key and said hope it's to our liking.
Well 247 we went to, opened the door and oh my god it was a full on suite, amazing emperor bed, comfy sofas, massive mirrors and one ice bucket with champagne waiting,...most impressed!
I don't normally do reviews but this was well worth a few minutes and the staff deserve it too. We will definitely be back here.
Needless to say my fiancée loved me a little bit more after this trip,....

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Matt E
Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stayed at The Midland for 2 nights this weekend. We stayed in Room number 11 which had a huge window overlooking the G-Mex (Manchester central). There was a downstairs seating area with a TV and also a dining table. The mezzanine level had a bed, TV and wardrobe. The bed was super comfy and the curtains blacked out any daylight. The shower was powerful and always hot.
We had a few drinks in the bar when we first arrived, the man that served us was great, very friendly and interested in our plans for the weekend. When we were walking through reception the next morning he stopped us to ask how our gig had been the night before. After staying in quite a few hotels in London and other cities it was very refreshing to hear someone had taken a genuine interest and listened to our conversation from the previous day.
Fantastic hotel and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2011

Dear Sara M,

Many thanks for your kind review of The Midland and for highlighting what it was that exceeded your expectations of us. You're right in that the rooms on the Mezzanine floor are unusual but also a delight because of their quirkiness. I also believe that it was James who served you on The Lounge but I'm sure, after I've passed on your praise to him, that it doesn't matter which one of our great team it was as long as the feedback about what they did was positive.

Thanks again for rating us so highly and we look forward to your return.

Kind regards

Reviewed December 11, 2011

The hotel is clean and efficient and my stay with them was hassal free. The bar prices are a touch heavy. I was paying £16 a round for two whisky mixers. I also couldn't find a price list for the mini bar, although, unlike the recent trend in some hotels for empty mini bars at least here its well stocked. The hotel doesn't have parking which is a bit of a drawback although there are a few large car parks within a few minutes walk. However, I got soaked walking to my car.

The hotel has free wifi which doesn't require any logon at all. Just find the SSID and click to connect.

• Stayed: December 2011
ManagerManchester, General Manager at The Midland, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2011

Dear MarkyHendy,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review us it is appreciated. In reply to your drinks charge I have checked and can confirm that your order was for two double whisky's which we believe is excellent value. Also although we don't have a car park within the hotel we use a secure one immediately behind us and provide concierge parking upon arrival thus allowing you to stay dry and out of the rain with time to relax and enjoy your time with us.

All the very best for Christmas and the New Year and thank you once again.