“Adequate pre holiday stay”

Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Ranked #47 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Leeds, West Yorkshire
“Adequate pre holiday stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

This hotel is very close to the airport. I booked through ABC Holiday extras to include 15 days parking prior to our holiday to the Caribbean. We paid £105 for a triple room and 15 days parking. We arrived at approximately 7pm and were directed to the on site car park where we left our car to be taken to the car parking off site for the duration of our holiday.
The check in was easy and the staff very helpful. The room was adequate for our stay. It was clean, spacious and the beds were comfortable. The only gripe I would have is that yes the rooms are very warm but it had been 80 odd degrees outside so that was understandable.
We did not eat at the hotel but the restaurant menu looked delicious and was reasonably priced. The bar area was spacious and the drinks reasonably priced for an airport hotel. The furnishings were very modern and there was an outdoor space which was very large for smokers.
We booked a transfer bus to the airport through the hotel and this turned up early and we were at the airport in 2 minutes. Couldn't fault this hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (730)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night prior to flying back home.
It is extremely convenient for the airport, but it does seem a little tired and dated.

Check in was no problem, (we didn't arrive until after 11pm), and the staff were helpful and courteous.
We had a room on the very first floor, just around the corner from reception.
The room was clean enough at first glance, but I didn't go inspecting it as I wanted to sleep.

The biggest issue we had was the bathroom.
The room was a wet room with the toilet right next to the shower and only a curtain separating them. Even with this curtain, the toilet still got soaked from the shower, as did the hallway carpet from under the bathroom door.
There was also a lack of basic toiletries with only one pump dispenser which contained a blue liquid. Not sure if it was soap, shampoo or both.
There was also not enough towels...only one small towel each.

The bed was extremely uncomfortable and there was only one pillow each on the bed.
We didn't get much sleep that night.

We had booked transportation to the airport the night before when we checked in for 5.45am the next morning.
When we got to the front door, there were already a lot of people waiting, so we got to the end of the line only realising later that it was a free for all.
The buses were frequent, but there needs to be some sort of organisation for the transport. People were pushing in line and getting on buses when other people had been waiting before them. It seemed like there was no point to booking your slot the previous night because it was well after our booked time that we actually got on one of the buses.

The driver we had was nice though and really helpful.

Overall, the stay was cheap, but you get what you pay for.
It served its purpose for the very short time we were there, but that being said, we probably wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AllisonDiggle, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking your time to post your review on Trip Advisor. I am saddened to see that you weren’t completely satisfied with your stay, I will be talking to the Transport Manager regarding the running of the shuttle bus and look at ways of improving this, we have stopped a lot of the issues that we have had previously by introducing a 3rd bus, but it is always good for these reviews to be brought to my attention and we can then assess if anything more needs to be done for busy periods
I am sorry that you were disappointed with the brand standard of one pillow in the room and the towels if you contacted our Reception team I’m sure that they would have been more than happy to bring extras to you. However as a standard of the hotel we don’t provide toiletries in the room, the dispenser on the wall you mentioned is an all in one: shower gel, shampoo and conditioner and most of our guests are happy with this.
I hope that you will reconsider your decision to stay with us again and you will receive the standards that I am so proud to offer here.
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Reasonable hotel for a convenient place to stay when flying from Manchester. Possibly a tad over priced, but its in a premium location, so if you want the locality of an airport hotel with shuttle to terminal & car parking included you pay the price!! Food was OK.
However!! We opted to leave our car there & it's one of these systems where they take your car off site on departure & return it for your arrival. I am a nervous flyer so need to keep occupied before flying. I parked my car up in one of the bays as instructed & decided to take photos of it. It was a company car & I didn't actually like it but like i said I need something to occupy me before I fly.
You've guessed it, when I returned one week later firstly my car looked like it had been parked on a building site next to a beach - it was absolutely filthy. (I didn't like the car but I always kept it in immaculate condition as I hate dirty cars). Secondly there was a huge starch from the back bumper all up the back wing. Whoever made that scratch knew they had done it, it was too big for them to have not noticed.
I returned to the reception & told them what had happened, he told me it was probably there when I arrived. I invited him to look at his CCTV images from the day of my departure & look at me photographing it & showed him the picture I had taken!! Eventually I got them to agree to it being their fault & it cost them £150 to get it fixed with scratch away.
I'm not saying don't use this service, after all its cheaper than airport parking, I'm just warning you to do as I did & record the condition of your car when you leave it (the bays are numbered too, luckily I had the number of the bay in a picture & was parked between 2 cars that had already been left for collection so neither of these 2 drivers could be blamed & I had the photos to prove it!!!).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hevmiester
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for posting your feelings about your stay with us on Trip Advisor, I am pleased to see that our car parking company Speedypark were able to deal with your complaint to your satisfaction, I am however sorry that it took a long time for this to be resolved and I will be passing your comments on to them.
Millom, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

The room was small and very hot ,no aircon or if there was it wasn't working. We did however have quite a nice meal in the restaurant as part of the package deal we'd purchased , 15days car parking, 1 night stopover and 3 Course meal for 2 all for the price of £139 which we thought was reasonable. Like I said It was just somewhere to lay our heads for an early morning flight.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor, I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your pre booked meal I the restaurant and that the car parking was up to the standard that you required. I would also like to take this opportunity to advise you that we are now offering air conditioned rooms to our guests, however we don’t have this service in every room and if you require it we would advise that you request it in advance as the rooms will be allocated on a first come first serve basis at no extra cost.
I hope that I can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.
England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here for one night before our flight. The room we were given really smelt of damp and had to change rooms. The replacement room was ok but tv ariel was broke so had to replace. Very noisey hotel as room doors make a very loud bang when closed. Location is ok but busy roads to cross to get too the airport if you do not use the courtesy bus. Hotel meals & drinks expensive and meals did not look tempting. Reception staff very snotty and miserable, have the opinion that everything is too much for them yet that's their job. Will not stay here again but will try other airport onsite hotels.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank matthewmjp
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor, I am disappointed to see that you were not satisfied with your stay and thank you for bringing the matter to the attention of the team who changed the room for you. I will pass on your comments on to the Front Office Manager to ensure that they handle such requests with a smile.
I do hope that you will reconsider your decision to stay with us again when you can be assured of our best attention.
Kind regards
Darwin, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We stayed here for one night before our recent holiday to Spain and picked it as we have used the hotel before.

We rang for the hotel shuttle bus on arrival at the airport station, which arrived promptly to take us over to the hotel. you could walk but the roads are extremely busy so wouldnt recommend it.

Check in was quick and the staff friendly and helpful. Room was good with everything we needed and lovely clean bathroom. No toiletries provided as such but there is shower soap/shampoo dispenser within shower. I think they do have toiletry packs available if you. Ask for them, but there may bea charge.

We stayed for dinner and were lucky enough to have a voucher which had been provided by the restaurant manager when we last visited. He had been quick to spot that our meal was not to standard and wrote after that visit to apologies and send us a voucher to dine when we next stayed. A very nice gesture.

The food was good, plentiful and hot. The waitress was very efficient and also friendly (a big plus)

As we were traveling with Thomas Cook we were able to check in our bags that evening so that we didn't have to queue in the morning at check in, marvelous! We got the early morning shuttle bus to our terminal, which was waiting for us outside the hotel.

Another good stay, we will definitely be back

Room Tip: Stayed 3 times now and room always good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are a good size, well appointed and the hotel cannot be knocked in terms of its location. However the rooms have no air conditioning. It's means you have the choice of a stale hot sleep, or open the window and be subjected to noise and the smell of aviation fuel. How a modern hotel can be built without air conditioning is astounding.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank cheeky2xist
Dear Reviewer,
I am pleased to see that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay, I am sorry that when you stayed with us there were no AC rooms available, we have just completed a refurbishment of the AC units and we now have a limited supply of rooms with this facility.
Kind regards