“Great Airport Hotel”

Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Arrived at Bewley’s around 11pm after getting a speedy transfer from the Airport to the Hotel. The rooms were comfortable with the normal amenities such as tea and coffee and working television. The free wifi offered by the hotel is a great thing to have although the signal wasn’t great in my room ( Room 32) it was still accessible and was a lot quicker in the lobby and lounges.

The breakfast was good and showed value for money. They offered a buffet for £9.50 which included all your hot food, cereals and drinks as well as fresh fruit and even smoked salmon.

I would recommend staying at this hotel as it is a comfortable stay and staying here can normally be booked at a reasonable rate.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Timecapsule

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We drove down from Scotland the day before going on our holiday from Manchester. This was our 2nd stay at this hotel and again we could not fault it. I had done a bit research before booking it and it was coming out one of the cheapest at the airport including our parking. Rooms were spotlessly clean and had really comfy beds. We had a meal in the bar and it was very reasonable and good quality.

On our return from holiday i phoned for the courtsesy bus and it arrived within 5 mins which was great.

I would happily recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel before an early flight from Manchester Airport. It seems the hotel is currently undergoing refurbishment and it looks like it is due! Our room was very basic and pretty small for a family room. The fittings were cheap and worn and beds were very squeaky, every time you moved you were woken up by the noise! Very convenient for airport and the parking worked well. I have to say the staff were very friendly, especially the bus drivers, they were very nice. Would consider this hotel again only after refurbishment as there are many alternatives at the airport.

Room Tip: Ask for refurbished room
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2013

For visitors to the Manchester area this is a good hotel for a niche purpose; waiting overnight for a flight. For anyone else, there are MUCH better alternatives elsewhere.

The pick up and drop off at the airport went flawlessly, the room was clean albeit a bit spartan. The only place to eat in the area is the hotel's restaurant, where prices are high. Not a show stopper for a single night. I also ate the expensive breakfast, but in retrospect I should have just eaten at the airport, as the prices were more reasonable.

One thing I did find odd was that they refused to provide me a wakeup call, referring me to the alarm clock in the room. When I queried the front desk about this they told me it "not their policy" to provide wakeup calls.

Bottom line: okay for an overnight stay, but I'd avoid it for anything more.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
AllisonDiggle, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Dear Reviewer
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to see that in general the hotel met with your expectations. We are indeed an Airport Hotel and provide a valuable service for guests who wish to stay pre or post flight. Unfortunately, the hotel is unable to provide wake up calls and the provision of an alarm clock has been well received. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future when you can be assured of our best attention at all times.
Kind regards
Allison Diggle

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised by the layout of the room and it's standard - the reception staff were very welcoming

we took advantage of the parking deal and stayed on both our route to and fro Greece

we ate in the main dining room the eve of our flight out and were as equally impressed by the bar meal on the eve we came back

the choices for breakfast were more than ample and to suit all choices / diets

we will DEFINITELY return

Room Tip: great value / comfortable - and you feel appreciated too . . .
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed one night. Room OK although small window made it pretty dark although it served purpose. Bar comfortable. Transfer to and from airport without a hitch, however, return for car was disappointing. Got keys went to car. Front n/s Tyre has a nail in it. I change Tyre and inform reception, however, they were not interested. Given a complaint sheet to fill out but was told it was my fault. Receptionist went through to the side office to highlight my complaint and I could overhear the conversation between him and the overweight, bald rude man who basically said " Tell him to prove it was our fault, it could have happened anywhere". OK it could have happened anywhere, however, when left 12 days previously the Tyre was fine. Since then the car was moved off sight. I imagine at this time it was fine. It was then returned to the hotel and again it must have been fine, either that it was driven with a flat Tyre. So the flat must have occurred on the journey back to the hotel or within the hotel grounds when the car was the responsibility of the hotel group. Furthermore the cars was filthy and gave the impression it had been used for off road racing. I had to chuckle when the reception staff told me it was off sight at a speedway track. I have asked for hotel management to contact me - still waiting and I don't hold out much hope. In summary this is a cattle market hotel for a 1 night stay. Take the money and go. Rude staff member a disgrace. The side office is not that private and guests can hear what you are saying. Enjoy your holiday but be wary of what is happening to your car

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AllyA69

Dear Reviewer,
I am saddened to read your review on Triapadvisor as I am aware that you have received a call from a senior manager to discuss your complaint at length. I am very disappointed that you choose to refer to a member of my staff in a personal derogatory manner as again you were assured on the telephone that that would be dealt with personally as we fully agree that it is unacceptable.
Our car parking agent ‘Speedypark’ do not park cars at a speedway track. Paperwork is given to the guest clearly stating the terms and conditions under which a vehicle is left in the hotel’s care. Unfortunately, a nail in a tyre could happen anywhere and the hotel cannot be held responsible.
We get very few complaints regarding the 3000+ vehicles put into our care and Speedypark Ltd have an excellent level of insurance and in my experience deal with the few issues that arise in a professional and satisfactory manner.
Kind regards
Allison Diggle

Reviewed July 15, 2013

A really good hotel that is close to the terminals. We had a family room as we were travelling with our 4 year old daughter. We had 2 king size beds in the room and their was still plenty of space for luggage and still room to walk around. We were given a room on the first floor. The room was clean, including the bathroom, and the bedding was also clean and no holes in the sheets. We had spare pillows and towels in addition to the ones already out. The restaurant was reasonably priced both for dinner and breakfast, in addition they do childrens menus; breakfast is a buffet and there no shortage of food. The quality of the food was excellent and very well presented. The hotel also runs a mini bus shuttle service to the terminals, which runs every 15 minutes, but you need to book onto this at reception the evening before. Overall, a really good hotel that we would use again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends