“Good Hotel for 1 or 2 nights.”

Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport
Ranked #51 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed March 8, 2013

First time staying at Bewleys. Very convenient for airport. Check in quick and efficient. Room / Bathroom very spacious, with 2 seater settee and armchair provided. Similar to previous post there was a lingering smell of cigarette smoke in the room. Typical hotel restaurant menu and standard of food. Watch out if you pre pay for meal at check-in, any drinks bill has to be settled in the restaurant, for some reason they wont allow you to charge to room, similar issue with parking payment at check out, girl was unable to add it to the 1 bill and required a separate transaction. Public areas spotless with ample comfy seating areas. Bar prices reasonable for hotel tariffs. Again standard fayre at breakfast. I normally stay at the adjacent hotel, but there is no drop in comfort stopping here. Would have no issue staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
AllisonDiggle, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Tripadvisor, I am unsure why you were not able to charge to your room, upon check in you should have been asked for your credit card to pre authorise so we could open your account, the only thing I can imagine is if you paid for your accommodation on arrival then your account would have been closed and if this was not explained correctly I apologise. I am pleased to see that you were happy with your room and would stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Clayton Hotel Manchester Airport

Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed here in early Feb with a week's parking deal. It is easy walking distance to the airport if you prefer especially at 4am when there is no traffic. We accidentally left our mobile phone charger in the room. When we got back from holiday a week later we simply filled in a form for housekeeping. 2 days later our phone charger arrived in the post - delighted! Parking system worked well too, our car waiting for us when we got back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Satisfied Guest,
Thank you taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and even more pleased that we returned a piece of lost property to its rightful owner. Again thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

.... was my view when walking up to the hotel front and unfortunately nothing inside changed my opinion. For me this is just another Airport Hotel that is in dire need of a "spruce up". I arrived fairly late walking from the airport and checked in .... which incidentally was not a bad experience at all .... fairly friendly staff .... and was able to book my seat in the free shuttle bus for the next morning which was a positive. I booked my table at the restaurant which matched the hotel front .... drab and dreary. The menu didnt really do much for me but I ordered a bottle of beer, a black and white pudding tower for starter and a steak. The starter unfortunately was served in a deep square bowl with the puddings swimming in a brown sauce. Although the sauce taste was ok it was like chewing rubber when I tried the puddings ..... I sent it back with the waitress who struggled to make out what I was saying .... probably due to my strong Scottish accent rather than her being Polish? Anyway out comes the steak which although was certainly not the worst steak I have been served it was a long way of the best ..... probably just below average. When the waitress came over to ask how my meal was my comment that the "chips were ok" just went straight over her head. When I signed for my bill I was not charged for the starter but you know what I would have appreciated it more if the Chef had came out and apologised rather then the easy money off option. The beer however was excellent! The room was well .... a room ... drab and dreary it may have been but the positive was that it was clean .... the toilet/shower area was spotless!!!! well done to the housekeeping team. I was on business and although not the worst Hotel I have stayed in .... the next time I am in Manchester airport for an overnight stay I wont walk by the Radison Blu ......

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your comprehensive comments. I am sorry to see that you think us drab and dreary I prefer the words minimalistic and restful. We are indeed an Airport hotel and cater for, in high quantities the travelling guest. We aim to provide a clean bedroom and a tasty meal at a fair price. I am very aware that we are not to everyone’s taste but should you or your wallet tire of the other hotels on the Airport we will always be here to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

this is the fifth time we stayed here.
I have no complaints whatsoever with it .It is n excellent hotel.The food both in the bar and resaurant is excellent.(we tried both).
Check in was quick and simple.
I would rate it better than the nearby 4* hotels (I've tried the two nearest) thats why I keep going back to it.

Room Tip: As in any hotel I would say tell them what you need/want before hand and if you don't get it com...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Returning Guest,
Thank you for posting your positive comments on Tripadvisor. I am extremely pleased that we are, on multiple occasions able to provide you with a standard and service that meets your expectations. Once again thank you from the whole team for sharing your review.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We booked his hotel for the night before our holiday and apart from problems checking in due to computer failure the hotel was very good.

The rooms were very nicely fitted out and it is nice not to be put into old tatty rooms just because you are staying one night and leaving early in the morning.

We prebooked a meal in the restaurant which was fine. As is the case in most hotels the wines are very overpriced but they have a captive audience.

Would stay again before an early flight. The parking is £8 per night, not £6 as shown on their website.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. I confess I am a little confused regarding your second paragraph but trust that you were in fact pleased to have a room that was nicely fitted out and not tatty. Our Food & Beverage Manager has recently changed his wine supplier and you should find the wines we now offer are at a more competitive rate. I will ensure the incorrect parking charge is addressed. Again thank you for taking the time to post your review and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We booked an over night stay at Bewleys before flying out from the airport the next day. The accommodation was standard basic and reasonable value for money and the bar food was good but our check in was awful. We had to queue for over an hour because of a problem with their system. Lots of staff were wandering aimlessly about but no one told us what the problem was until we got to the desk, where the staff were sullen and rude. I appreciate that they were having a bad day, but they really should not take it out on the customers.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,
I am sorry that you feel our Reception staff were sullen and rude whilst they were having to cope with the system failure. If I may explain, due to a cabling issue in Germany our whole hotel group had no access to our computer system for about 18 hours this was unprecedented. To continue to operate we had to revert to manual check in, which means one list of guests and one list of clean rooms. I do sincerely apologise if it appeared that the team were taking it out on the guests and I will be passing your comments over to them and their manager.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

It's an airport hotel, so by definition, it's somewhere for the weary traveller to spend a single night, not a place one would choose to spend a holiday. On the whole it is fine, but nothing to get excited about.

The room I was assigned stank of smoke, which was puzzling, as I thought smoking had long since been banned in hotels. I didn't make a fuss, but it would have been courteous for the reception staff to have at least informed me that it is/was a smoking room, if not offered me a choice of room.

The breakfasts are the standard budget hotel greasy hotplate offering; great for those guests nursing a hangover, but uninspiring for anyone else.

On the plus side, the free wifi is excellent and it is only a ten minute walk from the departure gates, so is very handy for early morning starts.

Room Tip: Ask if your room is or once was a smoking room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for posting your review on Tripadvisor. The hotel is indeed a non-smoking hotel but unfortunately this is not always respected by some of our guests. I am always trying to find new ways of addressing this. Had you advised the reception team that the room did not meet with your expectations I am sure they would have offered an alternative. Breakfast is as you say Buffett style and is changed and replenished frequently. Again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.